What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have very little to say about this film, except that those who have never heard of it, should immediately jump on this release. Those who do know, will already have it on pre-order.

Powell

Pressburger

Cardiff

Technicolor

An absolutely magnificent Blu-ray from a new 4k restoration by Columbia, with extras, and released via Criterion.

One of the films I'd take to a desert island, along with most of the other Powell/Pressburgers.

Makes many modern films look like insignificant pipsqueaks.

As an unfortunate aside, this film is fully digital, having been restored from surviving nitrate elements at 4k resolution.

Which proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that digital technology has no roll in true film restoration.

Analogue is the only way to go!

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

Upgrade from DVD - yes, please!

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended!!!

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I knew this would be a winner and I want it NOW! On the other hand, Ms. Dietrich and Mr. Von Sternberg will arrive on the 'morrow.

You’ll appreciate the fact, that whilst the b&w negs were problematic, the work was performed from the magenta negatives, which are the dupes toward matrix creation.

Magnificent job. I believe the filmmakers would be extremely pleased.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
By any chance did the restoration start from B&W separations?

I believe it was from the original negatives. There are no “separations! per se in 3-strip Tech. There are negatives and masters, as there is nothing to separate.

Only seps derived from 3-strip of which I’m aware were those made from Fox CRIs.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Part of my rather huge Barnes & Noble/Criterion order. Not released until later in the month, so I won't be seeing it for awhile, but can hardly wait until I do. It's a memorable film, for sure.
Whereas I am willing to forfeit 2 Criterion titles at 50% off, in order to have this one potent "Must" at full-price.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Whereas I am willing to forfeit 2 Criterion titles at 50% off, in order to have this one potent "Must" at full-price.
Why do you have to forfeit? The pre-order is half-off right now at B&N!

Reactions: PMF

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I will gladly preorder this. Can't risk my B & N not getting it in. So happy this is getting released. I wonder how restoration expert Christopher Nolan feels about this being restored digitally and how he would do it photochemically?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Both Barnes & Noble allow you to pre-order this film at $19.99 + tax and have it sent to you around July 24th Hence ... Although you'll have to wait for Heaven ... as "Heaven Can Wait" is not currently available for pre-order at the 50% off sale as of yet as it does not come hither until August 21

Courtesy of David Norman:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...i-annual-50-off-criterion-sale.324983/page-40
Each sale tends to have something unique in the rules, but general rules

1) 50% off is taken off MSRP and not normal prices.
2) Online and in-store Items
3) Current Release and items officially releasing during a sale so Dec and Jan releases will not be officially half off (possible workaround below). BN usually doesn't allow backorders on items that are OOS at the fulfillment warehouse.
4) Member 10% discounts for instore purchases are taken off the sale price. Online member discount do not apply
5) DVD, Bluray, Eclipse, Essential sets have all been eligible in the past.

YMMV
1) Extra coupons (Member coupons, non-member coupons, instore/online, Anniversary Coupons, New Member Welcome Coupons etc) have been allowed some sales, but not others. The last 2 sales most coupons have been mostly disabled both online and store where in prior sales most stores allowed extra to apply (some stores/managers did make their own rules and rejected coupons even if the POS computer said they allowed). It doesn't matter whether the coupon specifically excludes them in the fine print or not -- www.bn.com/couponexclusions This webpage updates on the fly and the coupons seem to be linked to this page, but all excluded items or groups aren't always explicit listed.
2) The July sale allowed 50% off pre-order items plus member discounts on Criterions ordered in store as "Ship-to-Home" orders.

In General, if you order anything over over $5.01 + your $19.99 selection you will get free shipping (without being a B&N member). The other selection (if it's available) will usually be sent before your pre-order item ...

Reactions: PMF

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
You’ll appreciate the fact, that whilst the b&w negs were problematic, the work was performed from the magenta negatives, which are the dupes toward matrix creation.

Magnificent job. I believe the filmmakers would be extremely pleased.

Robert,
I have a question: The header for this thread shows an image of the operation and staircase and has significant color registration issues. Is this an accurate representation of the film ?

I've only seen Colonel Blimp, Tales of Hoffmann, Black Narcissus and one of my favorite films of all time The Red Shoes .

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
Thank you, Mr. Harris! This is wonderful news. "A Matter of Life and Death" is one of my absolute favorite films - ever. I first saw it some (50?) years ago on the tube in an all B&W print with the title "Stairway to Heaven," and thought was a terrific film then. I was gobsmacked when I eventually got to view it in a slightly faded color print with the original title in a little local (now gone) art house. "A Matter of Life and Death" just gets better every time I see it. Naturally, it's pre-ordered from B&N - along with the Von Sternberg-Dietrich box set. It is a great movie month for me. Thanks again!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert,
I have a question: The header for this thread shows an image of the operation and staircase and has significant color registration issues. Is this an accurate representation of the film ?

I've only seen Colonel Blimp, Tales of Hoffmann, Black Narcissus and one of my favorite films of all time The Red Shoes .

I’m not seeing an image, but the new BD has no issues.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This image appears if you click on the HTF home page. Not sure where it comes from:

upload_2018-7-4_15-19-50.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks