What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Great Roger Corman's 1959 A Bucket of Blood, is being released by Olive, and it's nice to see them bringing out product, as they always do a great job with extras. Their special editions are special.

Mr. Corman, who should be known to most of you, either produced, directed, wrote, or acted in well over a dozen films in a career of seven decades.

A Bucket of Blood, comes earlyish on, before his Poe comedy/horror series, which began with House of Usher in 1960 - the same year as The Little Shop of Horrors.

Shout's new Blu-ray is a quality affair, noted to be mastered from "a new 4k scan," of something - presumably a fine grain.

It looks just fine.

Rumor has it that the film was made in five days, written in one, so be prepared for low-budget - and fun.

Image – 4

Audio – 4.25

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Olive or Shout?
Oil Shout!
51rxRQ4QbGL._SX342_.jpg

Olive SIGNATURE ;) !

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
  • NEW 4K REMASTER OF THE FILM
  • "Creation Is. All Else is Not" – Roger Corman on A Bucket of Blood
  • "Call Me Paisley" – Dick and Lainie Miller on A Bucket of Blood
  • Audio commentary by Elijah Drenner, director of That Guy Dick Miller
  • Archival audio interview with screenwriter Charles B. Griffith
  • "Bits of Bucket" – Visual essay comparing the original script to the finished film
  • Essay by Caelum Vatnsdal, author of You Don't Know Me, But You Love Me: The Lives of Dick Miller
  • Rare prologue from German release
  • Super 8 "digest" version
  • Theatrical trailer
  • German theatrical trailer
  • Gallery of newly-discovered on-set photography
  • Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have 2 versions of this movie on DVD.

One version is in the Roger Corman's Horror Classics Vol.1(3 movies from Film Chest). It's 1.85:1, box states 16x9 and it runs 1.05.21. Starts off with the AIP logo superimposed over the poet as he speaks and then the title. At the 1.05.12 mark, as he's hanging, the picture squeezes in on him to about 1.10:1, then it gradually opens back up again to 1.85:1.

The second version is in the Roger Corman Collection (8 movies from MGM). It's 1.37:1, but the box states 2.35:1and it runs 1.05.46. Starts off with the AIP logo, then goes to the poet speaking with nothing superimposed over him and then the title. At the 1.05.12 mark, as he's hanging, the aspect ratio of 1.37:1 stays there through the ending credits.

So, my question is...what version is on the new Olive release?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Thanks! I still wonder where Film Chest got their print from? And why would the aspect ratio close and open at the end?

JoeStemme

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joseph
Roger Corman, Beatniks, Murder, Modern Art and Dick Miller and a good transfer -- what more could one want?!

In some ways, this is like a dry run for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS which came out a year later (and re-used some of the sets). Writer Charles B. Griffith scripted both, and teamed up with Corman to create stories that could be shot quickly with limited locations (BUCKET was filmed in 5 days, LITTLE SHOP in 2 1/2).

Walter Paisley (Miller) works at a Bohemian cafe and dreams of being an acclaimed artist like those feted at the club. When he accidentally discovers a new sculpting technique (shades of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM), he becomes the toast of the Beatnik community. Griffith's script follows Paisley's ups and downs as he becomes the flavor of the month and gets attention from one of the cafe's attractive women, Carol (Barboura Morris) and the club owner, Leonard (Antony Carbone). The cast also includes Corman regulars Bruno VeSota and Ed Nelson. Bert Convy has an early role as a cop.

BUCKET OF BLOOD is fast and funny with some amusing barbs at the art scene and its hep-cats. At 66 minutes it doesn't overstay it's welcome and it's nice to see Miller in a lead role.

Attachments

• Bucket1a.jpg
    Bucket1a.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
This film probably inspired a lot of monster kids into poetry and Kerouac later. Like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks