What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 23 Paces to Baker Street -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
So all we now is someone to start putting out "classics" in 4k!!!
At moment no seems interested unless it is some super hero junk.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So all we now is someone to start putting out "classics" in 4k!!!
At moment no seems interested unless it is some super hero junk.
I think the issue as to why studios aren't releasing some classic films with 4K Masters onto 4K discs without HDR is because of marketing. IMO, the industry is too busy trying to promote HDR as a marketing tool to the general public. They're afraid of market confusion which in reality is already out there in some regard as many consumers don't understand what 4K/UHD or HDR actually means to them in their home theater settings. Therefore, they'll release a Blu-ray derived from a 4K Master, but are reluctant to do the same onto a 4K disc without having that HDR stamped on the disc's case. They're fearful of confusing a consumer base more than it is already confused about this format. Other reasoning could be cost, pricing, corporate politics, marketing base strategy and etc.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Watched it this evening - VERY enjoyable. Mr. Hathaway was an excellent director and I've always been fond of this movie, although Van Johnson's character is too unpleasant too much of the time for it to work properly. Love the score by Leigh Harline. It's a nice upgrade from the UK DVD I have, but one wishes the color were a bit better - I'm sure they did the best they could, though. That said, the color in the UK DVD is a little more to my liking in that the buses, which in reality are RED, as are the phone booths and Ms. Miles' sweater, are actually red in the DVD instead of the ruddy brownish/rust color they are in the Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Watched it this evening - VERY enjoyable. Mr. Hathaway was an excellent director and I've always been fond of this movie, although Van Johnson's character is too unpleasant too much of the time for it to work properly. Love the score by Leigh Harline. It's a nice upgrade from the UK DVD I have, but one wishes the color were a bit better - I'm sure they did the best they could, though. That said, the color in the UK DVD is a little more to my liking in that the buses, which in reality are RED, as are the phone booths and Ms. Miles' sweater, are actually red in the DVD instead of the ruddy brownish/rust color they are in the Blu-ray.

Ah. Thanks for that. You've given me "pause for thought" because I have that DVD too.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
But when it comes to restored titles, attempting to add a coating of dynamic range, can open a Pandora's box that may never be closed.

Please, no one mention it to Disney. Their animated features have been messed up enough already by hot new technology.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive. I can't wait for a Region B as this is a favourite of mine, and will post a comment in due course. Shame about the distinctive colour of the buses and telephone boxes though.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Very surprised to receive mine today (thanks ImportCDs.com) and have watched it twice through my projector. Stunning transfer and a huge upgrade from the DVD. The redness of the buses and telephone boxes could perhaps be a little brighter although most of the exterior scenes were shot under cloudy London skies and through fog! The interiors (apartment, pub, and Barkers) are very good.

Previous DVDs and television broadcasts were very muddy and Fox are to be congratulated on a fine restoration.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I screened this last night. It looked very good and the sound was great. It was interesting to see how much of a knock off of Rear Window it was. I halfway expected flash bulbs to go off in the final climax!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally viewed my BD today and I agree with RAH on how good it looked. Very impressive, especially, considering my past viewings of it on TV and DVD. A very big improvement!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Didn't know anything about this film prior to reviews and posts on HTF. Some variance in these reviews, so I was a little hesitant to order. What made up my mind to buy was a review on another site that sounded so pretentious in its criticism that I ordered almost in defiance.

Glad that I did, as I enjoyed it greatly, despite some obvious similarities to Rear Window. It worked for me, and it helped that I'm a fan of Vera Miles and Cecil Parker ...and the Devil Girl From Mars - all in fine form.

Picture quality looked just wonderful to these red/green-deficient eyes. London looks beautiful in this.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think it's one of the most underrated Fox films of the 1950s. I put in to review it, but the screener never arrived.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I think it's one of the most underrated Fox films of the 1950s. I put in to review it, but the screener never arrived.

I was working at the cinema when it was first released.It could never be described as 'one of he most underated Fox films 'of the era. It was very popular with both the critics and public. Perhaps now Fox will release on bluray A MAN CALLED PETER. The final scene with Jean Peters is one of the most unforgettable finales I have ever seen in a film,.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I finally had a chance to view this recently. I picked it up during Kino's last sale. What a great film. The restoration is beautiful to say the least. Seeing London in its 1950s glory was alone worth the price of admission. Great underrated film. Van Johnson was a little unlikable at first and he sort of seemed liked he was channeling his character in Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (loss of a limb) but he redeemed himself quickly. Recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks