What's new

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
AMC's not going to exclude it from A-List as a "special event"?
I just signed up for A-List a few weeks ago. Is this something they do? I was able to reserve a screening at the AMC Lincoln Square in NY and a theater more local to me, so these don't seem to be excluded.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Doesn’t appear that way. The Dark Knight thing was a glitch; I got those onto the pass eventually.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just signed up for A-List a few weeks ago. Is this something they do? I was able to reserve a screening at the AMC Lincoln Square in NY and a theater more local to me, so these don't seem to be excluded.

A-List does exclude some screenings:

"IMAX VR® and special events are not eligible and are excluded from the A-List program. Special events include, but are not limited to, fan events, private screenings, movie marathons, double features, Fathom Events, Metropolitan Opera, sporting events, select showtimes of certain foreign language films, and other events that are priced above standard ticket price."

I guess they don't count '2001" as a "special event:! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Probably because it’s being booked as a regular IMAX presentation.

I’m torn - on the 100 foot screen they have in NYC, they’re going to show the unrestored Nolan version which will be very unforgiving to all of its flaws. And then, on their smaller screen (58 foot), they’ll be showing the new pristine digital restoration.

Seems like it should be the other way around, but what do I know?

Reactions: PMF

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Probably because it’s being booked as a regular IMAX presentation.

I’m torn - on the 100 foot screen they have in NYC, they’re going to show the unrestored Nolan version which will be very unforgiving to all of its flaws. And then, on their smaller screen (58 foot), they’ll be showing the new pristine digital restoration.

Seems like it should be the other way around, but what do I know?
A bit torn on the IMAX screenings myself. Reserved a screening at the AMC Lincoln Square, but it's a good 70-90 minute drive away for me. As great of an experience as it might be seeing the 70mm print projected on a 100' screen, I imagine I could live with a 20-30 min drive to a 50'-58' screen for the digital restoration.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I’ll try to use A-List to see both variations, but it may take me the whole week to have the time for both. I’ll report back after but may not be in time to help inform any decisions.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A bit torn on the IMAX screenings myself. Reserved a screening at the AMC Lincoln Square, but it's a good 70-90 minute drive away for me. As great of an experience as it might be seeing the 70mm print projected on a 100' screen, I imagine I could live with a 20-30 min drive to a 50'-58' screen for the digital restoration.

Overriding question still remains.

Is the digital version fully and properly restored?

Is it in some way as seen through the eyes of its creator?

Or is it correct?

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Overriding question still remains.

Is the digital version fully and properly restored?

Is it in some way as seen through the eyes of its creator?

Or is it correct?

Robert,
I need to take the train over to Chicago to the Navy Pier IMAX to see it. It takes about three hours. I'd really like to know what this looks like and three weeks is better than three months. Of course who knows really if the 4K DCP is what the Blu Ray will look like ?

I wish we had more information, like I said ,The Skunk Works has more leaks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert,
I need to take the train over to Chicago to the Navy Pier IMAX to see it. It takes about three hours. I'd really like to know what this looks like and three weeks is better than three months. Of course who knows really if the 4K DCP is what the Blu Ray will look like ?

I wish we had more information, like I said ,The Skunk Works has more leaks.

Regardless of how professionally completed, correct, or incorrect, it should be both pretty, as well as an extraordinary experience.

Nothing really to lose.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
It appears Seattle Cinerama will be showing the "unrestored" print.
2001.JPG

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Why would anyone desire to actually pay to see 2001 in 2k?
It could be subliminal marketing, being that 2K stands for 2000; which of course, is only a digit away from 2001.
Therefore, in the end, all is recouped by sitting a single row closer.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
70mm on 100ft screen ,should be a great Cinerama /Imax presentation much better than some 4K DCP on a small screen .

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have seen some DCP screenings running at 4.5 foot lamberts in London:eek:
But yes Mr Harris it might be a bit dim if they are not using the old Ashcroft Super Core Lite Carbon Arcs:)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have seen some DCP screenings running at 4.5 foot lamberts in London:eek:
But yes Mr Harris it might be a bit dim if they are not using the old Ashcroft Super Core Lite Carbon Arcs:)

IMHO, screen size is only viable, if all other attributes are up to specs.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just got word that my local AMC Loews will be showing it soon on the "IMAX" screen. I honestly hadn't given much thought as to whether I'd attend any of these, but I guess I'd be remiss not to make the ten-minute trek. (I feel the butterflies in my stomach just typing this...)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just got word that my local AMC Loews will be showing it soon on the "IMAX" screen. I honestly hadn't given much thought as to whether I'd attend any of these, but I guess I'd be remiss not to make the ten-minute trek. (I feel the butterflies in my stomach just typing this...)

2k?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks