What's new

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
2001 is my 'desert island' film too Josh. :cool:

Unfortunately, whole generations now know it only from home video, threadbare baggage and all. However one day, I hope they'll finally get it right. Its 50th anni is in 2018, so here's hoping...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
ROclockCK said:
2001 is my 'desert island' film too Josh. :cool:Unfortunately, whole generations now know it only from home video, threadbare baggage and all. However one day, I hope they'll finally get it right. Its 50th anni is in 2018, so here's hoping...
Hopefully my desert island comes with a giant screen :)In a sense I feel lucky that "2001" is my favorite movie, at least as far as theatrical screening opportunities go: it comes around fairly often, and up until a couple years ago it was usually a print that looked pretty good. The DCP and Blu-ray aren't terrible by any means - it's not Spartacus bad - but they're not Lawrence Of Arabia good and that's what I'd like to see one day.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Blu-ray fairly recently on my front projection set-up (117.4" diagonal scope screen) and this transfer is really showing its age. Edge enhancement and noise reduction are evident and it just takes on that older transfer look we see on so many of these earlier Blu-ray releases. It doesn't look terrible, but it certainly does not look good nor nearly as film-like and detailed like many remasters I have seen. This goes for most of the Kubrick titles I've seen for that matter. Hopefully Warner addresses his movies at some point.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
ROclockCK said:
Unfortunately, myth. It wasn't "painted" on. The massive front projection screen for 2001* was composed of rolls of 3M ScotchliteTM which had to be cut up into irregular sections and applied patchwork style - the theory being that over such a huge surface any straight edge roll lines would be more noticeable than this 'crazy quilt' solution if there were minor variances in surface density roll to roll.

And this unconventional solution did work...on screen. What has been lost through multiple video releases - possibly just a problem with video transfer characteristics regarding white balance - is that these front projection scenes (especially during the dawn of man sequence) were very bright...again as projected via film on screen. Yet on video, these scenes have always been printed down, which just exacerbates the problem Kubrick and his team had solved via very careful light levels plus testing, testing, and more testing. Disguising the ScotchliteTM has been further hampered on video by some noticeable age-related yellowing in the corners of the frame, drawing even more attention to it.

All of this was discussed in detail in the book "The Making of 2001", and confirmed personally by Fx lead Wally Gentleman when he graciously visited our film class at York U. in the early 70s...and of course by my own eyes during those 13 roadshow CINERAMA viewings. When properly projected, with Kubrick's precise exhibition specs, you could not see those ScotchliteTM patches. That aberration is strictly an artefact from 2001's after life on home video...which is another reason for a full, archival-class restoration of this film plus a new transfer.

* To date, still a record IIRC.
Thanks for the detailed explanation Steve lets hope someone @ WB can do something about this for the next new release. I wonder what print BFI will be using as they are showing the movie in several cinemas on 28th November this year here in the UK?
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/bfi-rerelease-stanley-kubricks-2001

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Hopefully you get to see it on film in 70mm Paul. But these days, I wouldn't bet on that...fingers crossed for you though.

BTW, there's also another area where the digital video transfers* of 2001 haven't served Kubrick's effects perfectionism particularly well; their rendering of Trumbull's slit-scan star gate. Once again, it looks like the brightness is down a stop or two, or the contrast is up, because now you can distinctly see banding and strobing along Trumbull's slits (note the darker vertical lines in the red areas to the right of the frame, less so in the green):

2001_screenshot_stargate_00.jpg

I'm not denying their existence - obviously they were captured on the film, so they're in the scan. But until 2001 hit home video, that little giveaway about the nature of Trumbull's Fx technique was never this noticeable. On film, with the correct light levels, those bands simply never stood out like they do now.

* including the current Blu-ray; I've never seen the DCP.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
It will be showing in 70mm for some screenings at the BFI Southbank in Nov/Dec and some screenings in 2K DCP.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw 2001: ASO on the big screen Jan. 1, 2002, at what had to be one of the last shows ever at Loews Astor Plaza in NYC, before it became the Nokia Theater ($#@&^%$!!!!). It was glorious.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Keith Cobby said:
Do you think if Stanley Kubrick were still with us he would be meddling with his masterpiece, producing different cuts and improving on the special effects? Difficult to improve on perfection isn't it.
I doubt it other than insisting on the colour timing so we do not see the 3M backgrounds. Perhaps a seamless branching BD with the newly found 19 mins of missing footage what else could you change & make it better most of the opticals are fine as they are the moon looks a little too bright in places but a decent colour timing pass could probably fix that!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Speaking of Kubrick, has everyone seen the Kubrick segment from this year's Simpsons Halloween special? It was brilliant. It was called "A Clockwork Yellow," but it included references to many Kubrick classics. Worth checking out.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Until this I've read and heard nothing of any new restoration work - I would assume this is going to be a presentation of the DCP that has show in repertory theaters in the US for the past few years, which is a 2K DCP from the same master as the Blu-ray. I'd absolutely love to be wrong about that.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ditto Josh. But I doubt you're wrong:

[*]At 0:18 in the new BFI trailer, you can still see banding and strobing in the foreground of the slit-scan for the stargate.
[*]At 1:36 when Moonwatcher tosses the bone, you can still see some yellowing in the upper left corner of the frame - not a good sign that any new work has been done to correct those visible ScotchliteTM patches.
[/list]
Until 2001 gets definitively restored and remastered, best to stick with 70mm showings rather than the current DCP.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Wished I could have bought one of these beauties many years ago...
DSCN0609.jpg

The small company that was making these G.I. Joe scaled costumes apparently couldn't keep up with demand, and closed up shop. When these come up for sale today, they are horribly expensive.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks