What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I’m happy with the previous edition, I think from Rhino. Had some good bonus tracks that the new edition appears to be missing.

That Rhino release is the one I have too and the extended and additional tracks are worth it. I also have one of the first versions released in 1986 by MCA on CD that I bought in the late 80s:

R-4665863-1371592946-1256.jpeg.jpg

Its master was apparently made from recording the LP (you can hear some pops here and there) which occurred more often than it should have in the early era of CD releases.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
A reminder: Today and Wednesday, the 4K DCP is playing at theaters around the country. If you wish to see how vibrantly blue the intro card is, or whether the conversation with the Soviet team concludes with a cut or fade in the new theatrical version, here's an opportunity. Is that "lost blue sweater" announcement in the front or the surround channels? Again, here's a chance to answer all those burning questions.

https://www.2001spaceodysseymovie.com/tickets/
Cool. While I loved the quality of the 4K disc, I have to admit it's hard watching it on such a small screen (65"). The cinema screenings over the summer were relevatory. Unfortunately, the closest theater showing it is a good 40 min drive and I have work very early the next day.

The only place I can find it is at Target: https://www.target.com/p/various-2001-space-odyssey-ost-cd/-/A-54067285

It was $8.99 for digital on iTunes or Amazon so I figured iTunes lossy would be close enough for the price difference.

Oh wait, I see it's for pre-order on Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/2001-Space-O...63297&sr=8-5&keywords=2001+cd+a+space+odyssey
Thanks. Was wondering why the soundtrack wasn't on iTunes when I searched over the summer. Looks like they re-released it.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I saw a 50th anniversary presentation of 2001 at a local cinema in Adelaide on Friday. In attendance were Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood, doing signings and a Q and A session before the film - it was really great hearing them talk about the film. One of the interviewers made passing reference to Christopher Nolan and the restored print, but I'm pretty sure that's not what was shown. Unfortunately there was no opportunity to ask about this.
Unfortunately, the sound system wasn't quite up to the job, and the auditorium had some intruding light. The image was stable and generally sharp. I noticed the previously discussed scene in the space station where Dr Floyd is talking to the Russian guy - it had the cut, not the fade. There were a few scenes where I thought I could tell it was a digital presentation - just the way the image shimmered a bit on the screen - I was sitting up pretty close to the screen.
I look forward to my own 4K viewing at home, when I have the capability.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Do you remember if the announcement about the Cashmere Sweater came out of the surround track only ?
thanks.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
That always annoyed me too Derek when it was centre and not surround where it all ways was in 70.
I have the 4k but my surrounds are being repositioned would you believe and brackets being modified.
A case of bad timing.
Once they are back up, it will be the first thing I try.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Upgraded finally to Dolby Vision, and the 99% of the film derived from OCN is even more lovely. Gorgeous whites, rich deep blacks. Superb shadow detail.

Aside from the dupes, gorgeous work from all involved.
This 4K/UHD of "2001" seems to be paying off in dividends with each and every viewing;
and the news just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for mine.

Last edited:

STAN aso

Auditioning
Real Name
Stanley
Been watch these threads about 2001 - great info, gossip, posturing, and personalities! I looked at caps-a-holic, read about release versions back to laserdiscs. All these captures just look fair-to-poor to me (and I've verified it with an eyedropper in the paint program to check colors and ranges and such). I can quickly come up with is my own normalization that (seemingly) trounces everything else, except the Taschen book. I guess I'm missing something (anyone, please, your 2 coppers?):

2001-ASO-Rem-Blu-v-CCLD-v-CCLDNorm.png

WillG

Senior HTF Member
One could say that "2001" has been viewed through many different filters.:laugh:

When I went to the Norwalk IMAX screening that Dullea attended, I was very tempted to ask him if he ever watched the Stargate sequence on Acid, I didn't want to risk possibly offending him though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Been watch these threads about 2001 - great info, gossip, posturing, and personalities! I looked at caps-a-holic, read about release versions back to laserdiscs. All these captures just look fair-to-poor to me (and I've verified it with an eyedropper in the paint program to check colors and ranges and such). I can quickly come up with is my own normalization that (seemingly) trounces everything else, except the Taschen book. I guess I'm missing something (anyone, please, your 2 coppers?):

Speechless...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Sorry but I have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. :wacko:

Reactions: PMF

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

Nice work, I prefer photoshop myself. I think you missed your calling ,have you contacted Warner Brothers ?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I would suggest a good amount of reading in this section of the forum before your next post. The key passages in your post may indeed be seemingly...and "I guess I'm missing something" so you are kind of on the right track that things are not quite as simple as they may seem.

Reactions: PMF

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had my hands on the 2001 Steelbook and the stupid Best Buy register wouldn't sell it to me.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I suspect that STAN's final words and parenthesis indicates that he is from the UK.
Translation of parenthesis is, perhaps, "...anyone, please, your 2 cents worth?"
As supplied by STAN with a link, the Taschen book is a 4-Volume limited edition on the making of "2001" that went for about $1,200.00. Envious if he owns this one, but if he does, then he is totally committed to all things "2001".
P.S. Olliver K is right (see Post #156);
but, until then, welcome to HTF, STAN.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Only the copies with the lithographs were $1200; the set with just the books and Christiane Kubrick’s autograph was “just” $600!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks