What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Looking forward to getting this, but that cut instead of the fade after the space station scene is going to bug me. It's a small, small thing, but I just know that as an editor, I'd be annoyed if someone changed one of my fades to a cut for no reason 50 years later.

The fade wasn’t actually changed.

Since the large format elements have no actual fades or dissolves, someone neglected to encode the fade out. There also may be a problem with the fade IN of the next shot, as it seems to have been designed as a 64 frame fade -same as previous - but is now c. 48 frames of black followed by a rather bumpy 16 frame fade in. I’ve not checked further functions.

I blame this error on HAL.

Britton

Screenwriter
I did tweet at WB Home Entertainment about the fade out/fade in, but I assume mum's the word until the official 11/20 release date, and that's assuming I'm not wasting my time pursuing that avenue. Like RAH said, they are probably aware of it already, so it's either a mistake they'll fix or a mistake they are fine with.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I realize that screen captures are not always reliable, but the DVD Beaver images seem to confirm an earlier comment about the opening logo no being a vibrant blue, as I recall it was during the film's original engagement. (It premiered here in DC at the Uptown, and I went several times during its engagement).

I viewed the screen captures of the MGM logo on my computer as I looked at the logo on my LG OLED. The latter was a deep and vibrant blue, not as bright as the '07 capture, but nothing like the blue-gray of the new capture. It may be better to avoid forming opinions based on screen captures.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I realize that screen captures are not always reliable, but the DVD Beaver images seem to confirm an earlier comment about the opening logo no being a vibrant blue, as I recall it was during the film's original engagement. (It premiered here in DC at the Uptown, and I went several times during its engagement).
It’s vibrant blue on my lg OLED.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
A reminder: Today and Wednesday, the 4K DCP is playing at theaters around the country. If you wish to see how vibrantly blue the intro card is, or whether the conversation with the Soviet team concludes with a cut or fade in the new theatrical version, here's an opportunity. Is that "lost blue sweater" announcement in the front or the surround channels? Again, here's a chance to answer all those burning questions.

https://www.2001spaceodysseymovie.com/tickets/

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In addition to the screen capture reliability issue, DVD Beaver explained when they first started making 4K captures that they couldn’t really show you HDR so they manipulated the captures in order to try and mimic the effects of HDR. What you are seeing is not a true representation.

Britton

Screenwriter
A reminder: Today and Wednesday, the 4K DCP is playing at theaters around the country. If you wish to see how vibrantly blue the intro card is, or whether the conversation with the Soviet team concludes with a cut or fade in the new theatrical version, here's an opportunity. Is that "lost blue sweater" announcement in the front or the surround channels? Again, here's a chance to answer all those burning questions.

https://www.2001spaceodysseymovie.com/tickets/

I already saw the IMAX release earlier this year, picked up the UHD, and bought the re-released soundtrack on iTunes, so that's all the 2001: ASO money the WB gets from me in 2018! Someone else will have to go for me and take notes. :D

Britton

Screenwriter

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m happy with the previous edition, I think from Rhino. Had some good bonus tracks that the new edition appears to be missing.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I already saw the IMAX release earlier this year, picked up the UHD, and bought the re-released soundtrack on iTunes, so that's all the 2001: ASO money the WB gets from me in 2018! Someone else will have to go for me and take notes. :D
I'll call your IMAX viewing and the UHD, and raise you an old CD soundtrack, the original vinyl from '68 and a 70mm Nolan film at the Castro in SF. Nevertheless, the IMAX I saw was 2K. I thought a 4K DCP, albeit on a much smaller screen would be a fun way to finalize this 50th anniversary year.

I may order the Aussie soundtrack to which Josh linked.

Last edited:

The Old Man

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I'll call your IMAX viewing and the UHD, and raise you an old CD soundtrack, the original vinyl from '68 and a 70mm Nolan film at the Castro in SF. Nevertheless, the IMAX I saw was 2K. I thought a 4K DCP, albeit on a much smaller screen would be a fun way to finalize this 50th anniversary year.

I raise you having seen it in 70mm film a few months ago at the Cinerama Dome, 70mm film IMAX projection at Universal Citywalk (one of only four theatres in North America so equipped) and eight times in Cinerama at the Cinestage Theatre in Chicago in 1968.

Britton

Screenwriter

You win, and that's okay with me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks