1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Message #81 of 493 Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

Grew up that way and never a smoker, but i certainly remember butts on the floor at all grocery stores, fast food, department stores, etc.

Heck when I moved to NC in the late 80's you could light up anywhere and it wasn't unusual to have someone walking down the aisles of grocery or Walmart or standing lines at Wendys lit up. There were no 'no smoking' sections in most restaurants -- sometimes a non-walled off corner in the back with a ceiling fan running was considered No Smoking. Quite a shock even after living just a handful of years in a seriously smoke-free state.

OTOH -- in a film that quite deliberately avoids it (I;m convinced now) and on a space station where there would likely be quite a few reasons for not allowing it at all, it seems an odd thing to even allow a pack in a pocket even if it was only for b/w scenes. I guess it could have been a muscle memory reflex for the actor even if there were no cigarettes in that pocket. If so, I can't imagine Kubrick not using a different take or reshooting the scene in his usual way

2. Message #82 of 493 Oct 31, 2018
    Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    While I'd never have noticed the cut vs. fade discrepancy, I'm impressed by the observational skills of whoever did. I went back to my MGM 25th Anniversary 5-CAV laser disc version of the film. The scene is a fade in that presentation, just as the glass is being placed on the table. (It's remarkable how awful the picture quality of the one time state-of-the-art LD is on a large OLED display.) The fade is also on the "Digitally Restored and Remastered" DVD, from 2001, of all years.

As for the detail in the 4K release, it is incredible. On the moon shuttle, a flight attendant serves a boxed meal and then begins savoring her own. The food boxes themselves are startlingly clear; the "instructions" to the side of the food boxes can now now be read (if the disc is paused). Those instructions appear to describe how to apply the lettering to the box surface and are followed by a series of irrelevant patent numbers. Shortly after that scene, as the flight attendant gets meals for the crew, a beverage list is discernible. The prices on the list appear to be in shillings and pence.

3. Brian Husar

Brian Husar Second Unit

All this talk of the fade out vs cut, makes me want to redo my You Tube review and say this is horrible and recall this disc right away. I was wrong and we were dupped. (Sarcasm)

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  4. Message #84 of 493 Oct 31, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Is a recall over the cut vs. fade an actual consideration out of Warner's;
    or, at the moment, is this simply our current hope?

5. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

As far as I know (which is nothing), it's a hope.

I think it would be nice to get it right, even if it is a minor mistake. As with any replacement program, one can decide to use it or not. Should the WB recall all existing unsold copies? Not if I were in charge.

6. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    And what are the true realities for such an undertaking?

7. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    What is interesting to me is that I find the cut to have something more than the fade so it doesn't look wrong only different .Just my take but I'm fine with it. It isn't as if they say cut and he starts laughing or something. He sits back reaches into his pocket for what looks like to me a smoke ,purely natural looking to the scene.

Brian Husar and Bill McCamy like this.
  8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

It looks totally normal. I mentioned in the other thread while I was looking for the synch issue, you can actually see into his pocket a bit during the scene as he stands, shifts, moves around. The pocket is pretty loose and at times open enough to see several inches inside, but you really can't tell exactly what's there. You can see something move back and forth and sideways a couple times that is white -- it appears long/thin either like a pen or a single cigarette, but not like a pack or notebook. I tried in slow motion with my nose almost against screen looking for anything, but couldn't tell. Maybe someone with the 4K and larger screen can see something.

Different, unique and still pretty much meaningless whether cut/fade. I would have a really hard time arguing for an exchange/recall/delay/ if they offered a new disc I'm not even sure I'd bother and most certainly if it was a 'send one back first' offer

ghostwind and Brian Husar like this.
  9. Brian Husar

Brian Husar Second Unit

I'm fine with it as well. Look at what we went through to get this far. The pluses out weigh the minuses.

CarlosMeat, SAhmed and PMF like this.
  10. ghostwind

ghostwind Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Bogdan Urma
    I was able to take a closer look on a friend’s 120” screen via a Sony 4K projector. In his pocket (you will need a properly calibrated set up) you can just see what looks like a small disc with the following letters on it barely legible - “Fade Version”.

ArnoldLayne likes this.
  11. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    I could read the label it said Marlboro .. don't know what the heck you are looking at. It was empty since Bill and Stan got to them first.

[​IMG]

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Hmmm. If anything this conversation shines a light on the great character actor Leonard Rossiter who fucking steals this scene (as well as the beginning of Barry Lyndon).

B-ROLL, Todd Mattraw and Dan_Shane like this.
  13. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Stunt Coordinator

Dan Shane
    And all three seasons of THE RISE AND FALL OF REGINALD PERRIN, which I've been enjoying on YouTube lately.

Todd Mattraw, SAhmed and PMF like this.
  14. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
  15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I like EYES WIDE SHUT. It has grown on me with each subsequent viewing. Not in the top 3 of Kubrick's films, but it certainly incorporates his style and is loaded with a dream-like atmosphere. I only wish WB had allowed the Sidney Pollack commentary to be included.

Doug Pyle and PMF like this.
  16. Message #96 of 493 Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    On the original 70mm prints and the 1978 reissue i have heard that the announcement about the Ladys Cashmere Sweater used to come out
    of the Surround track only but all the latest 70mm magnetic and datasat transfers it has come from front channels only.
    On the 4K UHD it comes from the front channels even on the original mix you can select from the menu.
    Someone on another forum has said that in the 4K DCP version it does come out of the surrounds but when i saw the 70mm unrestored version in May i seem to remember it only coming from the front channels.
    Can anyone who saw the 4K DCP version confirm the announcement only comes from the surround track.

thanks.

PMF likes this.
  17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Was just able to preview the disc on a Sony OLED, and the difference between 4k projection and OLED is amazing. Gorgeous blacks, great whites, and wonderful shading.

I’d give up size for OLED on this one.

18. Message #98 of 493 Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  19. Mellotronmaniac

Andy
    I’ll throw in a curved ball here by admitting I’m still watching on a Panasonic 43” plasma, so the restored Blu is the only option. The 4K disc will have to stay in the case for the time being. However old the technology is inside the set may be, I have to say the pq is simply stunning. It may not dazzle like my led does, but those blacks, (including top and bottom bars, intermission, etc) are drop dead gorgeous. Plenty of detail, and the whites, natural with no glare. It surprised me actually.

PMF likes this.
  20. Mellotronmaniac

Andy
    Does this mean you may have to revise your review in any way Mr Harris?