What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A lot of defending of 2001, so tell me why are some people not seeing the ringing, halo’s are not acceptable to me, yet they are there on this release, thats an epic fail in my book, yet the film gets a pass.

Being a perfectionist has nothing to do with this, i do not understand why so many people fail to see halo’s which are also there on other releases, not just 2001, its my pet hate.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I must confess I didn’t know who Freddie Young is so I looked him up.

I see he’s not only done Lawrence, but quite a range of titles including a favorite, Indiscreet by Stanley Donen which Is more like a stage play and You Only Live Twice, one Bond film which is pretty big. Quite a long resume he has with a lot of titles I’ve wanted to see still.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A lot of defending of 2001, so tell me why are some people not seeing the ringing, halo’s are not acceptable to me, yet they are there on this release, thats an epic fail in my book, yet the film gets a pass.

Being a perfectionist has nothing to do with this, i do not understand why so many people fail to see halo’s which are also there on other releases, not just 2001, its my pet hate.

You may be seeing imperfections in dupes, ie improperly recombined sep masters.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I must confess I didn’t know who Freddie Young is so I looked him up.

I see he’s not only done Lawrence, but quite a range of titles including a favorite, Indiscreet by Stanley Donen which Is more like a stage play and You Only Live Twice, one Bond film which is pretty big. Quite a long resume he has with a lot of titles I’ve wanted to see still.
For others also being introduced, I should like to further expand upon Freddie Young's 80 plus film career;
which began with "Victory" in 1928 and concluded with "Rough Cut" in 1980:

Limelight (1936)
Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)
49th Parallel (1941)
Caesar and Cleopatra (1945)
Treasure Island (1950)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Mogambo (1953)
Lust for Life (1956)
Invitation to the Dance (1956)
Island in the Sun (1957)
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958)
Indiscreet (1958)
Solomon and Sheba (1959)
Lord Jim (1965)
The Deadly Affair (1966)
You Only Live Twice (1967)
Battle of Britain (1969)
Nicholas and Alexandra (1971)

- AND, OF COURSE -

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Oscar for Best Cinematography
Doctor Zhivago (1965) - Oscar for Best Cinematography
Ryan's Daughter (1970) - Oscar for Best Cinematography

ref: Wikipedia for year of film releases.

(after all, you didn't think I actually had all of those dates memorized, did ya?):)

Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Guys, a friend mentioned a BBC article to me about an 8K scan of 2001 for the first 8K TV broadcast. In case you guys were not aware, thought it might be of some interest to you.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46403539
So, I'm assuming this will be for the 10 or so people who can afford 8K screens large enough to make a difference from 4K? Oh, wait. The largest available 8K TV is 98". There's no way that the human eye will be able to tell a difference at anything resembling normal viewing distance. I love image detail, but 8K in the home is snake oil with a gigantic price tag. (I suppose I should add in the obligatory, "Git of'n mah lawn!" lol)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So, I'm assuming this will be for the 10 or so people who can afford 8K screens large enough to make a difference from 4K? Oh, wait. The largest available 8K TV is 98". There's no way that the human eye will be able to tell a difference at anything resembling normal viewing distance. I love image detail, but 8K in the home is snake oil with a gigantic price tag. (I suppose I should add in the obligatory, "Git of'n mah lawn!" lol)
And aside from a few dozen large format and IMAX titles, there's nothing that's ever been made that could take advantage of it, nor are there any real plans to make 8K a film and television industry standard going forward.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had similar thoughts. But I was wondering, considering that 2001 was filmed on 65mm, would the 8k scan actually harvest more detail verses a film on 35mm. That’s one question I had in mind.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I had similar thoughts. But I was wondering, considering that 2001 was filmed on 65mm, would the 8k scan actually harvest more detail verses a film on 35mm. That’s one question I had in mind.

I would think that you would have to go to a 70mm movie shot mostly outdoors and preferably with later film stock to have a chance to see some added detail with 8k and that would probably only be visible when you are about 0.5 screen widths away and only in certain very detailed parts of the picture. For 2001 that detail simply isn't there.

There are other nice uses for 8k like projection with geometry correction on curved screens with 8k projectors or passive 4k 3D in TV's but showing more detail than 4k in classic 2D movies will not be something that we need 8k for except for very rare and special cases.

If I had to name one title I would think that How The West Was Won could really add some detail in 8k but NHK chose 2001 when they contacted Warner. Obviously it is a much more popular title and Warner scanned it in 8k whereas I think that they did more like a 6k (3 x 2k) scan of HTWWW so maybe that would not sound as good even though it would certainly look better for most scenes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Direct to the point.

The article seems to stress that the TV makers are interested in 8K and this 2001 8K scan is what I’d call a stunt. If TV makers want to sell 8K, it wants content. NHK are pushing live events too.

So I agree, 8K isn’t going to make 2001 look any better, it’s a marketing tool and stunt. The likely scenario is they’ll master new movies at 8K to sell the new TVs. 8K Fast and Furious sounds pretty good. I don’t have a 4K set yet, but if we did have an 8K TV, wouldn’t some of you be slightly curious to see how an 8k 2001 Blu Ray looks?;)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Direct to the point.

The article seems to stress that the TV makers are interested in 8K and this 2001 8K scan is what I’d call a stunt. If TV makers want to sell 8K, it wants content. NHK are pushing live events too.

So I agree, 8K isn’t going to make 2001 look any better, it’s a marketing tool and stunt. The likely scenario is they’ll master new movies at 8K to sell the new TVs. 8K Fast and Furious sounds pretty good. I don’t have a 4K set yet, but if we did have an 8K TV, wouldn’t some of you be slightly curious to see how an 8k 2001 Blu Ray looks?;)
The last Fast and Furious movie was 2K. Most of the big, effects-heavy blockbusters are still being finished at 2K to save cost and time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I hadn’t heard yet - I’ll be there!

Maybe I should be like Astoria’a Leon Vitali and give HTF visitors custom tour narration. :D

Not sure what treats you are in for, but the exhibition we had in Melbourne many years ago was certainly worth the trip for me from Sydney.
The great surprise and of interest for me, were the piles of lenses he had amassed both 35 and 70 as well as the cameras.
And yes Josh, you would make a very well qualified guide:)(better I think that Mr.Vitali could ever be).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks