1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 29, 2018.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    AFAIK the UHD release and the 70mm prints, if you're talking about the "Nolan" prints that were shown this year, have nothing to do with each other. The 4K disc originated from a different source.

2. John Gilmore

John Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

John Gilmore
  3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I meant the original 70mm prints, but obviously it would also apply to the Nolan prints as they both show what is on the negative or in this case possibly duplicate negative or IP.
    Here is a very good picture of the effect taken off a (very big) screen:
    http://dci-forum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1710.0;attach=4339;image

dpippel likes this.
  4. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Agreed on tier threads, in my opinion they should not even include animated movies, but obviously these days it is a very slippery slope between CGI and real world photography for a lot of movies. I also do not find it much of an accomplishment if for example Ben-Hur looks and sounds better than Citizen Kane - it should be that way obviously with 6 track magnetic sound and 65mm color photography :)
    But does it live up to its potential on Blu-ray better than Citizen Kane? That one is harder to answer but this is what should interest us more, to make each movie as good as it can given constraints in available elements, time and budget.

I think that 2001 mostly achieved that when it comes to textures and detail, the 8k scan cannot help the original elements not carrying more information and trick technology was still in its infancy back then and considering that the effects they achieved were stunning, no complaints from me.

5. Message #345 of 351 Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Thanks, I think, for that post. I attended a Nolan screening in May at the Castro. My local theater had an awful out-of-focus presentation of the 4K DCP in August. Now, do I want to take BART into the City New Year's weekend and spend seven to eight hours devoted to this movie? Of course I do. There's a great pizza joint directly across the street. Perfect place for a break between the two showings.

John Gilmore likes this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I had fun doing basically the same thing in NYC, seeing the unrestored 70mm IMAX version and then hopping across town for the restored IMAX digital version. I’d seen the movie countless times before then, but that wound up being a special night. That restored showing just brought a huge smile to my face after seeing the less than perfect version immediately beforehand.

Bill McCamy likes this.
  7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Appears to be improper alignment of masters.

8. Message #348 of 351 Dec 8, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 2:13 AM
    Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I mischaracterized this year's viewing experiences. The botched local theater presentation was in October or early November as part of the syndicated "Flashback Tuesday" series. I spoke later to the theater manager about the focus problems, but she had no idea it had happened or why. It was like watching my laser disc on my OLED. However, I did see the restored digital version in true IMAX in late August . Despite being a 2K projection, it was breathtaking. The size of the projected image and its clarity were spectacular. It may have been better than the Cinerama presentation I saw in '68.

While the Castro is smaller than IMAX, it is a large screen in a beautiful art-deco environment. I am looking forward to a bit of "Space Odyssey Overload."

I've unsuccessfully searched the web to see if the Castro is unique in presenting this "70mm/4K DCP Challenge." Are other theaters also showing both versions back-to-back?

9. Message #349 of 351 Dec 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Two Shows = Double orders of cheese and tomato.:thumbs-up-smiley:

10. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I just got notification that my copy of 2001 should arrive from Amazon on December 18.

11. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    My copy from BB shipped today.