What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 1776 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
davidmatychuk said:
I have to admit that a major factor in my enjoyment of "1776" (I'm Canadian, after all, and some people might wonder why I'd like such a patriotically American musical) involves how I came to acquire the Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc in 1995. I saw a small ad in the classifieds of one of our city's dailies saying that on the coming Friday there would be a laserdisc warehouse sale at an unfamiliar address in Burnaby (close to Vancouver). And the hours of the sale were quite odd, running from noon to midnight. We drove out there that Friday night, arriving at about 9 P.M., and the sale was taking place in the alley in back of the building. It was a small warehouse space, and they had their receiving gate open for people to enter through, so there was a definite underground vibe to the whole scene. I had no idea what they might be selling, but it turned out to be Paramount laserdiscs and Pioneer Special Edition laserdiscs for the most part, with some Lumivisions and Image exclusives too. I ended up spending about $100 on 8 laserdisc titles I didn't already have, including "One Eyed Jacks", "The 3 Worlds Of Gulliver"(PSE), a terrific 1992 Paramount sampler, "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys", "Just A Gigolo", "Jesus And His Times (for Mom), "The War Of The Worlds" (CAV), and, yes, the PSE "1776", which cost me $15. The evening remains a very pleasant memory, with a mildly clandestine feel to it, almost like a heist, and I certainly got and am continuing to get my money's worth, even if my very best purchase is now available as a superior Blu-Ray all these years later.
I love this story. Of my several hundred laserdiscs, 1776 is the crown jewel. My favorite, by a lightyear; and, people who didn't discover its hidden gems of snipped material, and fall in love with its dynamic and full sound, just don't understand. Nor should they. By the way, for the myriad posts about the release of the Blu-ray of 1776, I've read very little regarding how people feel with the actual product. Or, am I missing some very full thread, somewhere?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
^ I just saw this, this morning. In my visit to the site, there was a comment posted, critical of Hunt, by an individual many of us here at HTF will recognize as an "insider", Cadavra.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Dave B Ferris said:
^ I just saw this, this morning. In my visit to the site, there was a comment posted, critical of Hunt, by an individual many of us here at HTF will recognize as an "insider", Cadavra.

Strange comment too. A "delightful reprise" to something called "First Family of Virginia" which is still MIA and only found on the LD? Huh??? :huh:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Strange comment too. A "delightful reprise" to something called "First Family of Virginia" which is still MIA and only found on the LD? Huh??? :huh:
We do not always have to agree with the insiders. However, if Cadavra is in fact the "same" person, I always had a great deal of respect for his opinions, insights and so forth. He downplayed his role, possibly from humility, but I thought there were indications, at least, that he had a very strong influence in the release of the Boetticher/Scott films on DVD.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
I don't think it's an insider if they didn't know the right name of the song.

Anyway I corrected their mis information attempt
I understand.

Again, though, *if* it is the same Cadavra, I believe he was recognized/accepted as an "insider" when he posted here. If you want to send me a PM, I'll respond by telling you the proper name (unless you already know it).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Dave B Ferris said:
We do not always have to agree with the insiders. However, if Cadavra is in fact the "same" person, I always had a great deal of respect for his opinions, insights and so forth. He downplayed his role, possibly from humility, but I thought there were indications, at least, that he had a very strong influence in the release of the Boetticher/Scott films on DVD.

It has nothing to do with "agreement." It has to do with him posting incorrect information. The reprise he speaks of IS in the new blu-ray. It is not still MIA as he maintained in his post. And as Ted pointed out, he also got the name of the song wrong: it's called "The Lees of Old Virginia." That's not a major point, but it's still strange for someone whose post was to ostensibly set the record straight with "facts."

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
JohnMor said:
It has nothing to do with "agreement." It has to do with him posting incorrect information. The reprise he speaks of IS in the new blu-ray. It is not still MIA as he maintained in his post. And as Ted pointed out, he also got the name of the song wrong: it's called "The Lees of Old Virginia." That's not a major point, but it's still strange for someone whose post was to ostensibly set the record straight with "facts."
Because he's probably one of these FANatics who refuse to even acknowledge the new Blu-ray release because he can't live without his beloved laserdisc. I mean, honestly - eight-five seconds. And yes, he's completely incorrect but probably hasn't even read the specs for the new Blu-ray - and I also am sure it's the "insider".

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Am I the only one who's disturbed by the hostility being shown here for Cadavra ? He's been a member of this forum for years now and his comments have always been knowledgeable and an asset to the board. If he goofed on this one, so what ? Correct him politely and move on. It's not as if he's been a constant source of misinformation over the years - quite the opposite IMO. I certainly can't think of an instance where he was as rude and judgemental as this thread is getting.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks of many frequent posters as friends I have never met - but with friends like some of you.....

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Indeed as I mentioned above, and I'll repeat here, I think he is very humble, but I also think that - behind the scenes - he had (at least) a fair amount of influence in getting the Boetticher/Scott westerns released.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Moving the thread back on topic.....I've finished watching the BD and then re watched with the new commentary. I can't add to the well deserved praise that's already been bestowed to the team that put this together. The film looks and sounds great and Mr. Hunt delivers a well thought out commentary that is informative and entertaining. I wish there would have been more for the two actors to do but their limited comments were also fun to listen to particularly the story about the actor playing Hancock falling asleep during a performance.

The only quibble of any significance I have with the disc is that I wish there would have been more chapter stops. 16 (going from memory) for a movie of this length seems a bit skimpy.

I asked my locally owned theater to book the DCP but haven't heard back yet.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The annual July 4 showing of 1776 on Turner Classic Movies is listed this year as being 165 min. I'm wondering if that will be this new Director's Cut, especially considering it was recently shown at the TCM Classic Film Festival.

Speaking of which, in his interview, Hunt referred to 1776 as a "wonderful little minor classic." I wonder why he needs to qualify it with "little" and "minor." By definition, a classic is something of the highest quality, and "minor" seems oxymoronic. Maybe he was trying to be modest. I'd say 1776 is a classic, period. TCM didn't show it as part of a Minor Classic Film Festival.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
JohnMor said:
Correcting misinformation is neither rude nor judgmental. And it certainly isn't a sign of disrespect. We're all adults here; no need to pretend anyone's perfect or above reproach. EVERY one of us is human, no more, no less.

I agree. I've made a few mistakes while writing reviews, and I appreciate it when they are called to my attention.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Joe Lugoff said:
The annual July 4 showing of 1776 on Turner Classic Movies is listed this year as being 165 min. I'm wondering if that will be this new Director's Cut, especially considering it was recently shown at the TCM Classic Film Festival.

Speaking of which, in his interview, Hunt referred to 1776 as a "wonderful little minor classic." I wonder why he needs to qualify it with "little" and "minor." By definition, a classic is something of the highest quality, and "minor" seems oxymoronic. Maybe he was trying to be modest. I'd say 1776 is a classic, period. TCM didn't show it as part of a Minor Classic Film Festival.

I would imagine that Sony is now offering this version to any outlets screening the film going forward (the Director's Cut). The extended version is and will be exclusive to the BluRay.

Hunt is very modest about such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks