What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 12 Monkeys (Arrow) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What kind of title is 12 Monkeys?

What expectations does it lead a potential viewer to imagine?

I can understand 12 Monkeys: A Star Wars Story, or The Conguring: 12 Monkeys...

To the point, this is a film that has never looked terribly good on Blu-ray.

Arrow Films new release is the charm.

Proper color, black levels, nice grain structure, and finally a film-like appearance, which leaves the last Blu-ray in the dust.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from earlier Blu-ray - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I picked this up 2 weeks ago and think it looks pretty stunning all things considered. My second favorite Terry Gilliam film, right behind Brazil. I'm happy to see that it's finally received a proper release. Arrow has done a fantastic job!

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I'm happy to see that it's finally received a proper release. Arrow has done a fantastic job!
Arrow have just released this in 4K...

There's a bit of an Internet thread about some repeated shots at the 42 minute mark on both this and the earlier Arrow Blu Ray. The audio plays ok, whilst a few shots repeat themselves!

Arrow are aware but have yet to make an official comment or decision....

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
OMG, you're right!
I have the previous Arrow blu-ray and didn't notice it!

Now I'm angry!:angry:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
OMG, you're right!
I have the previous Arrow blu-ray and didn't notice it!

Now I'm angry!:angry:

Nobody noticed last time round - I didn't either. This is a very slight error - even less than the incorrect sequences on the 4K UHD of A Hard Day's Night. Nothing to get wound up about; I won't demand a replacement.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man people getting soft in their old age.

Starship Troopers and one of the one of thel Wrath of Khan remaster nearly sent 100M people into a Coma and taking up arms against the incompetent boobs that destroyed their films with the same type gaffe.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's a bummer. I bought the Arrow BD probably a year or so after its release, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Probably wouldn't be upgrading to the new 4K disc anyway (though maybe the digital whenever it goes on iTunes sale). Hope they correct it for 4K though...

_Man_

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Man people getting soft in their old age.

Starship Troopers and one of the one of thel Wrath of Khan remaster nearly sent 100M people into a Coma and taking up arms against the incompetent boobs that destroyed their films with the same type gaffe.
:biggrin: When no-one notices the error or complains about it in three years, then there's not really anything to make a fuss about. Even when you see the YouTube clip, there's nothing particularly jarring - Gilliam's filming in the scene is typically hallucinatory. Most films have plenty of continuity errors and other things that people can spend their lives obsessing over on internet forums. Only one person posted a comment on this thread, after Robert Harris' review in 2018. I would be surprised if Arrow Video felt that recalling and repressing the blu-ray and 4K UHD discs just for this, was justified.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Arrow have responded:

1652166193871.png

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
So this has been silent awhile ---- looks like Arrow's statement intends to take responsibility and fix it later... in their "workflow"?? Any updates? I'm interested in the 4K and wondering if I should wait until it is fixed or buy now and replace the disc later, assuming...

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
So this has been silent awhile
The updated statement from Arrow (above) appeared on July 10th...

Silent in that a lot of patience and persistence has been necessary to get the promised replacement. I bought my copy from HMV, so I had to send in a scan of my receipt, which I did on July 15th. Comments on the 'AV Forum' suggested replacement discs started arriving by the end of July - mine didn't. It took a number of 'messages' and 'chats' to Arrow's contact section and at least 4 broken promises of when it was due for it finally to appear last week. Not a good experience. There are also comments on the AV Forum suggesting that, as recently as 2 weeks ago, Amazon UK were still sending out 'old stock'.... Anyone wondering how to tell if it is the updated disc in their hand need to see the disc number as FCD2191/V2 (the V2 being the difference, presumably standing for 'Version 2')

I've never been in a 'replacement disc' situation before and whilst I was pleased that Arrow took responsibility for this hiccup and did the right thing, the whole saga was very frustrating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks