1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A few words about...™ 10 Rillington Place -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Richard Fleischer's 10 Rillington Place is a dark, unpleasant tale, the reality of which, served to end the death penalty in the UK.

Columbia's image harvest is the basis of Twilight Time's new blu-ray, and all of the parts are in the right places, with nary a one stuffed under a creaky floorboard.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

ljgranberry likes this.
  2. moviepas

moviepas Supporting Actor

AKA The Rillington Place Murders(Original US titler?).

3. Oblivion138

Oblivion138 Second Unit

James O'Blivion
    Wow...Twilight Time snuck this one by me somehow. I had no idea it was even being released. Definitely on my buy list now!

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I grew up in West London & Rillington Place was about ten minutes down the road, we used to walk past it on the way to the swimming pool (but it had changed its name by then). The whole Christie horrorshow was very well known to us kids (late 50's early 60's). A really good film, but very bleak, I'm not sure about its re-watch value.

5. theonemacduff

theonemacduff Second Unit

Jon Paul
    Saw this many years ago late one night on television and was hugely impressed, particularly by John Hurt's performance. Attenborough's too; as often, he gives a sweaty, intense performance. Brilliant film, and it captures the pointlessness and sadness at the heart of a lot of police work, so to speak.

6. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    I always remembered seeing this on a visit to NYC, in Times Square during its first week. Friends and I had an evening to kill, and boy did we get our fill. I think we were a bit overwhelmed by the subject and the unrelenting grimness, and I always remembered that impression if not too much else of the motion picture. Over the years I became curious to see it again, but never got around to seeking it out. When TT announced the title I jumped for it, and just experienced it this evening for the first time since.

Whew! Dark, unpleasant, indeed. I'm always amazed when browsing Richard Fleischer's varied filmography, and this entry is a stunner. If British Grim isn't an official genre, let's make it one and file this with The Collector, the 1984 1984, and another Attenborough star turn, Seance on a Wet Afternoon. Attenborough is chilling, John Hurt demonstrates a thing or two about that little thing we call acting, and Judy Geeson is wonderful -- and sounds wonderful today on the snippet of commentary I whetted the appetite with before putting it away for the night. A second commentary is a solo turn by John Hurt and it likewise sounds excellent.

Many thanks to Twilight Time and the good people at the studio who made this happen.

ROclockCK and Robin9 like this.
  7. Message #7 of 9 Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Good one. I'd put, It Always Rains On Sunday (1947) at or near the top of the list, a symphony of glum.

8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Great movie and, for me, a strictly five-star transfer - it bowled me over, actually.

9. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter

Steve
    Another TT title that - rather surprisingly - remained unseen until this Blu-ray Charles. In 1971, I was just another grubbing university student, catching most of my film fare via free campus screenings. After that, it just fell through the cracks...not even a rental along the way. Which is hard to imagine because I've spent an awful lot of time over the years admiring Richard Fleischer's fine body of work.

Oh well, better late than never. What really caught my attention on the first pass was something I was happy to hear Lem Dobbs mention later when I rewatched it with Commentary*; that at it's core, this is a story about "lies, liars, and lying"...ranging from seemingly harmless braggadoccio...to chronic denial...to studious self-delusion...to borderline sociopathy...to full blown clinical psychopathy. A virtual concert of perfidy! That it has been faithfully adapted from true life events, made it even more interesting...and creepy. With dialogue barely rising above a whisper, and not a trace of gore, it was nevertheless tough, tough stuff.

And like Bruce, I thought this disc looked superb. Even in such dank, fetid interiors there was amazing attention to detail in the lighting. I have no way of knowing what this movie looked like up on the big screen, but someone(s) in first unit really flexed their craft muscles to dress these sets and model the lighting with such perverse beauty...which I think made the whole thing even creepier.

All round great movie and disc. Also one less Fleischer pic in my bucket list.

* and yes Charles, it's another fine TT yack track, including some wonderful on set insight from the always engaging Judy Geeson.

benbess and Robin9 like this.