What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Victor / Victoria (Disc Replacement Program) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has been made aware of a minor master assembly anomaly on our new VICTOR VICTORIA Blu-ray release. Consumers who desire to obtain a replacement can do so by going to http://www.warnerbros.com/customer-service , and selecting "Home Video, DVD & Blu-ray" as the TOPIC from the drop down menu on the page.

Please fill out the rest of the required information on the page, and a corrected replacement Blu-ray will be shipped free of charge. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused, and appreciate your continuing support of our products."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There is reportedly an eight second section in a musical number that has the incorrect footage, and then is repeated in its normal sequence.

If you don't know the film well, as I do not, it just appears odd.

I'd bet that 99% of the units sold go unnoticed.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I definitely noticed the glitch, but I know this movie well. But I think it would appear odd to anyone as it does not match the music.

This, and the very similar Wrath of Khan glitch, makes me wonder - when they do these scans/restorations, are they literally scanning camera angle by camera angle and then reassembling the entire movie? I guess I naively thought that, even though it was from the original negative, it was all spliced together.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I definitely noticed the glitch, but I know this movie well. But I think it would appear odd to anyone as it does not match the music.

This, and the very similar Wrath of Khan glitch, makes me wonder - when they do these scans/restorations, are they literally scanning camera angle by camera angle and then reassembling the entire movie? I guess I naively thought that, even though it was from the original negative, it was all spliced together.
That's what I'm wondering too...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Some of us have not yet bought this disc. What do we do? Just wait until all the faulty discs have sold out? I have no intention of buying a faulty disc in order to replace it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of us have not yet bought this disc. What do we do? Just wait until all the faulty discs have sold out? I have no intention of buying a faulty disc in order to replace it.
I would wait if I'm international.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

It depends upon the cutting and conformation of the negative. Keep in mind that many modern negs are never cut. Daily rolls are scanned.

Much TV was shot on film, after which rolls are telecined, and cut electronically. Some of that programming has later been Neg cut.

The one situation where the film can be broken down into workable sections, and then later stitched back together is digital cleanup. Anything can occur, and this isn't the type of thing that QC people at the studios are looking for, or would recognize unless they know the film well.

"These things just happen..."

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I have requested the Victor Victoria replacement disk. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to receive it.

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
I have also requested the replacement disk, but the only response from Warner has been the automatic courtesy formula: "Thank you for your comments! Your feedback is very important to us"

This is normal? Warner has replied something specific to someone (request for proof of purchase and shipping address, estimated date to send the replacement disk, etc)?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I filled out the form, too, requesting a replacement disc, where I bought it and my shipping address.

This also happened on Disney's Blu-ray of The Littler Mermaid during "Part of Your World."

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I don't remember reading about this specific problem in the first 8-9 years of the format. Now I've read about a few very recently.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't remember reading about this specific problem in the first 8-9 years of the format. Now I've read about a few very recently.

Many different issues requiring disc exchanges/fixes. Some I can recall besides Little Mermaid

1st disc I remember was Starship Troopers which had a repeated scene with normal audio and Sony did issue and exchange. There were some other botched transfers I remember
getting replacements --, the original 5th Element, at least one of the Criterion discs (??White from Three Colors)., seems like there may have been something with Che or carlos?, Criterion Dressed to Kill was cught before most of the itmes hit the shelf, Pirates of the Caribbean and Back to the Future has replacements for framing issues (or was one of those the DVD).
Who knows how many small errors that nobody ever noticed or that the companies didn't feel the need (have the stomach) to fix, a couple discs in the big Batman box, the full S8 XFiles.
something in S1 STTNG Complete series, one of the Halloween discs in big box Shout set.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Can we assume that all defective copies have been recalled? Surely they're still not selling them. I would assume if I ordered in a couple of months, I'd be getting a corrected copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks