What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ring -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Based upon the Japanese original, Ringu (1998), directed by Hideo Nakata, this 2002 re-make from Gore Verbinski, just previous to his going DI on those pirate movies.

Having seen both version, I feel the original is a bit more frightening, in a "don't look now" kind of way, but the re-make isn't far behind.

For those who care about (or collect such things) the new Blu-ray, from Paramount and Dreamworks comes in a lenticular cover. But I care more about the image and audio quality.

And in those terms, The Ring shines. While it has its own stylistic point toward color -- the teal that some on the web seem to abhor -- it is what it is. I don't have a problem with it.

Story-wise, the film is out there, and while some may find that ability to let go of any need for believability may help the situation, tying up all the lose ends...

Image quality is superb, as one would expect from a Dreamworks production.

This may be one of those love it or hate it films. I liked it, not hitting either extreme.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

RAH

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I've watched people bicker about various shades of green ever since this disc was released. It looked fine to me then, it looks fine to me now. The timing isn't exactly the same as the DVD, but I honestly can't recall what it looked like when I saw it theatrically, and this appearance doesn't distract me. It's always had a skewed palette, to be sure...and always to the cool end of the spectrum. Whether it was more teal, and is now more green, I can't say. Though one has to wonder why, in an age where people complain that films are being re-timed to give them a more teal appearance, anyone would take a film that was timed to teal and make it LESS teal, and more green. :confused:

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the review. I'm definitely in the love it camp.
The original film though had a very effective scene where, after the protagonist watches the video and shuts off the TV, we see the girl's reflection on the TV screen just standing there. A very creepy scene, too bad the remake doesn't have that moment.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'm also in the love it camp, and probably in quite a minority position, in that I prefer the remake over the original (which I hardly EVER do, particularly in cases of American remakes of foreign films). I love the ambiance of the original, but the male lead's psychic abilities do me in on a narrative level. I mean, I understand that it's a supernatural film, and as such, anything goes. But his paranormal ability just feels like a needless plot contrivance, and I was glad the remake dropped it. Also, the bit with the horse really freaked me out.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
This original was a worldwide huge hit (spawning several sequels) and the remake was well-done as well, but I don't know if they will hold up years from now. To me, this is a one-gimmick movie. Horror films that hold up through the years have to have something extra to stand out from the rest, since this is such crowded genre. I was shocked that someone actually voted for the Japanese version in the recent Sight and Sound poll.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'd certainly never argue that The Ring is the next coming of Halloween or The Exorcist, in any of its incarnations, from the original Japanese novel to the American remake. But it's still fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks