What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Dirty Dozen -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As a Vietnam era production, The Dirty Dozen mixed a number of metaphors combining the current conflict with WWII.

Directed by Robert Aldrich, a filmmaker who is yet to be re-discovered by modern audiences for his superb work, and produced by Kenneth Hyman, why shortly thereafter took over the reigns at Warner Bros., the M-G-M production has arrived on HD-DVD with perfection.

Photographed in 35mm for projection at 1.85 aspect ratio, and blown up to 70mm from the camera originals with an added stereo soundtrack for special performances in large venues, The Dirty Dozen holds up beautifully after almost four decades.

I always like to look at films from the point of view of the median. As a 1967 production, going back forty years before its production takes one to the dawn of sound.

Keep that in perspective when you view this marvelously detailed HD-DVD.

With printer functions cut into the original as dupes, rather than working with A & B rolls, the astute viewer will note that the Main Title sequence as well as dissolves are all down in quality by two generations. As this was a production created before we had quality duping elements, the changes in grain, contrast and color are all there to be witnessed in HD, as they were in theaters.

Everything is correct with this DVD, which serves as a reminder of what a quality production cut in single strand could look like forty years ago.

A 30 minute documentary adds an additional layer of interest here, as it did on the SD release, and I note its inclusion as this is 30 minutes worth one's while.

The Dirty Dozen as an HD-DVD release from Warner Bros. comes Very Highly Recommended. The film is perfectly represented in the format, and like a number of other HD releases, looks like film.

As an aside, The Dirty Dozen was nominated for four Academy Awards. John Cassavetes for Actor in a Supporting Role, Michael Luciano for Film Editing, the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Sound Dept. for Sound...

John Poyner won the Academy Award for Sound Effects.

As a representation of film on video, it doesn't get much better than this for the era.

RAH

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is gonna be fun to watch in HD DVD.

released next week?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back in the day, my buddies and I saw this film three times during it's theatrical run. All of us were big Jim Brown fans, but having Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson in it was beyond sweet.

As far as Robert Aldrich, he's one of those directors that came out about the same time a couple of my other favorite directors, Richard Brooks, John Sturges and Stanley Kramer. I always found his films enjoyable with a little edge to them, particularly, some of his war films.
  • Vera Cruz
  • Apache
  • Attack
  • Kiss Me Deadly
  • The Last Sunset
  • Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
  • Hush....Hush, Sweet Charlotte
  • The Flight of the Phoenix
  • The Longest Yard
  • Twilight's Last Gleaming
  • Too Late the Hero
  • Emperor of the North Pole
  • Ulzana's Raid
  • The Big Knife

As you can see, he's done great work with some of the most physical actors in Hollywood. Without a doubt, he had a close working relationship with Lancaster, Marvin and Palance. A very underrated director, who pushed the envelope with some of his films.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks