What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Deer Hunter -- in HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Vilmos Zsigmond's cinematography in The Deer Hunter, the Best Picture of 1978, is not the easiest thing to translate to home video.

Early releases on laserdisc, and DVD were problematic at best, although we finally received a quality release with the recent SE.

Now in HD, with color, grain and densities all looking much like film, Universal has done right by The Deer Hunter in a big way.

If you're seeking glossy, grainless entertainment this isn't the film for you.

What it is...

is correct. Grain and all!

Highly Recommneded.

RAH

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well, uh...that's great and all Robert, but would you say it's a tier 2 or tier 3?

j/k.
I've never seen this film before, but am strongly considering pre-ordering it.
I think I've seen the infamous Russian Roulette sequence before but I'm sure there is more to the film than that.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I saw this for the first time 8 years ago and it really didn't do much for me. I'm tempted to try it again since the HD is pretty reasonably priced.

Geoffy

Grip
Excellent news indeed, I shall look forward to this one.

Has the extra material from the SD release been ported over?

Juan C

Second Unit
I must admit that at the time, apart from the two or three outstanding 'set pieces' it had, I wasn't too impressed with that movie. Maybe I should give it a second chance.

Though my wife has a problem watching Christopher Walken movies (he finds him 'creepy').

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walken might appear weird, but he's a great actor. Just the other day, I was scanning through the satellite channels and watched about 20 minutes of a guilty pleasure of mine called "Blast from the Past". It's a comedy with Brendan Fraser, Alicia Silverstone and Sissy Spacek and Walken play Fraser's parents. Funny stuff, particularly Walken and his mannerisms.

Crawdaddy

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
It took me a few years to warm up to The Deer Hunter, but now I appreciate it and will be picking up the HD DVD as soon as my post-Christmas finances allow.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

I saw it 9 years ago in 1997 on VHS with an old girlfriend who is very much into cinema too. First time for both of us seeing it. I think that was the summer we were renting a lot of movies we had always heard about but never seen. Both of us thought Deer Hunter was terrible. We just couldn't believe there was 20-30 minute party scene in the beginning. It just went on and on and seemed so bloated.

However I am going to give this one a chance again on HD. Hopefully in the correct aspect ratio I will find the classic that it's supposed to be. And I am not one to be scared off by film grain on HD. Bring it!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I watch that movie like once a month on DVD. Have even watched it back to back! Maybe in my top twentyfive most played DVD's. Weird!
Don't forget Silverstone's friend/roomate: Dave Foley!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks