What's new

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I a number of ways I feel it looks better than the version I have on blu-ray. Yes the transfer has a number of things not right but I am not sure I would call it an abomination. Yes it does fall short and this release being what it is doesn't help the format. But somehow I do not see this one bad release damaging the format and what Tristar Pictures should do now is to correct there screw up! I agree this release should have not happened the way it did and this title deserved a better transfer than it got! Is it beyond horible IMHO? With all the flaws it honestly could have looked worse and what saved it to a certain extent maybe was what 4K UHD brings to the table. Personally I feel that even though I chose to keep my 4K blu-ray the studio needs to do a new transfer and do it right 100% and we shouldn't have to wait another 6-8 years for a transfer done right. This is freakin Terminator 2 and it and we the fans deserve better! I will do a second viewing and maybe I feel a little different after a second viewing? For those of us that purchased this 4K release the studio should let us exchange it for a corrected version! Has anyone seen or heard anything from Cameron or the studio regarding the quality of this release? I am going to think about picking up the newer skynet edition at this point but maybe the studio shouldn't get any more of my cash until they fix this?

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Released: 6-27-2006
UPC Code: 012236191513
Aspect Ratio 2.35:1
Audio: 5.1 DTS-ES & Dolby Digital EX

20171231_192930.jpg

20171231_192938.jpg

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Received my copy last night and while it could be better I don't feel the 4k disc is an "abomination".

Image - 3.75(if the blue laser blasts in that one shot were the correct color it would be a 4.0)

Audio - 4.5(should have had an Atmos remix)

An upgrade from previous Blu-rays? - Yes

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
image.jpg
It's a new master that was created with the intention of being the basis of a 3D conversion. The grain was eliminated with the apparent goal of having a better 3D presentation, and was done with the enthusiastic participation of director James Cameron.

However, I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that this master was ever intended by Cameron to be used for anything other than a 3D conversion.

It seems that this would not be the appropriate master to use for a UHD release.
This is a title card before the start of my 4K disc.

Looks like the 4K version is based off that 3D master.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agreed, it should have been better and it's mediocre at best when compared to other 4K/UHD releases.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This could have been and SHOULD have been much better. I'm disappointed that T2 just cannot seem to get a QUALITY home video release. This one should have been it. Instead it's just another missed opportunity.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As much as I like 3D, I don't want to watch a 3D version of the version (theatrical) I don't watch. I always watch the extended. So nothing being released appeals to me.

Lets me off the hook of waiting for it to be released.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Does anyone know if the Blu-ray included in this 4k release is the same as the 2009 Skynet Edition Blu?

No it's an all new release. It does contain 3 different versions. Theatrical version is based off this new transfer. The other two versions are Frankensteined from this new transfer & older transfer. The disc menu even says something to the fact for highest quality presentation view the theatrical.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How on Earth did James Cameron allow this controversial “remaster” to be released.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How on Earth did James Cameron allow this controversial “remaster” to be released.

When the film was being prepared for 3D conversion, Cameron gave interviews where he described the process and said that they were scrubbing the grain and other things to make it look as if it had been made recently. It seems possible and perhaps even likely that all of these changes are exactly the look that Cameron was going for.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well now I can officially take T2 off of my "guess I have to buy the White Album again" list of movies to blind purchase every new format. <_<

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
When the film was being prepared for 3D conversion, Cameron gave interviews where he described the process and said that they were scrubbing the grain and other things to make it look as if it had been made recently. It seems possible and perhaps even likely that all of these changes are exactly the look that Cameron was going for.
For the 3D presentation sure. But you think he’s happy with this 4K release considering all the terrible reviews?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think he really cares that much, which is why I find his comments about not having the time to approve decent HD or 4K releases of The Abyss and True Lies to be so disingenuous. Add to that his statements indicating he thinks "scrubbing the grain" makes this film look "as if it was made recently", and I really wonder what in the heck is wrong with him. That a filmmaker of his experience and stature would say such a thing is mind-boggling to me.

IMO T2 has never received the treatment it deserves, and this 4K release just piles on that tradition. Thanks Mr. Cameron.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For the 3D presentation sure. But you think he’s happy with this 4K release considering all the terrible reviews?

I don't think the reviews really concern him.

I also think that the things the reviewers look for may be the very things that Cameron wanted to eliminate. A reviewer who is grading the disc on how well it reproduces the original theatrical release in 1991, or the look of the original camera negative, is going to give an unfavorable review to this disc. But, on the other hand, Cameron specifically endorsed and praised the removal of the grain and the changing of the look to make it appear more modern. That's exactly the kind of thing a reviewer would give a poor grade for, and would probably be willing to do so sight-unseen just based on that philosophy or stated goal.

So if a reviewer is going to come at it with the point of view "My definition of perfect is looking like the 1991 theatrical release or the original camera negative" and if Cameron is coming at it with "I want to make it look like a movie from 2017 that was shot and edited digitally" then they're both at odds in a way that can't be reconciled.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thank you for your review Robert very much appreciated. I did how ever end up keeping my copy of Terminator 2 that just arrived today. There where some things I was not happy about and the absent of film grain was one of them. But at the end of the day I felt it still looked better than the 1st blu-ray release and with the added bonus of lossless audio I kept it. Lionsgate should have done a better job at this release given that it is Terminator 2 and that the studio is not doing 4K any favors by not releasing a perfect or near perfect release of Terminator 2. But it looked just good enough to keep and not go through the mess of returning knowing that there is no reissue coming anytime soon. It was inexpensive enough so it just makes me think twice about pre ordering another movie any time soon.

Robert do you have lionsgate email address so I can tell them what I think?

View attachment 42883

Equipment:
Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver
Samsung UBD-K8500
Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4K UHD TV
Upgraded Samsung Evolution Kit
Altec Lancing A-7 Voice Of The Theater (L&R)
Bowers & Wilkens HTM61 S6 (Center Channel)
Advent Marble (Surround Side & Back Channels)
HSU Research VTF-3 MK5 HP 15" Subwoofer
Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI from Samsung 4K UHD player straight to evolution kit on Samsung 4K TV

As I stated in my review of this disc, the disc was authored as region-free by Studio Canal (or a company they hired), so Lionsgate is nothing more than the distributor in this case.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
I just watched T2 4K HDR and it was fantastic.
True, no grain, but also true: great detail, great contrast, great color, great dynamic range. The only 'plastic' faces I saw were somewhat obvious extra makeup.
Comparison- wise I have the poor Skynet transfer, which of course is not in the same league.
I generally appreciate a nice grain field- e.g. many of the Warner Archive releases.
But I'm not complaining about this disc.
Cheers!

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I'm returning mine back to Amazon. It's sitting on the table ready for me to print and slap on the return labels. I didn't even open the package as I'm removing this edition from my collection. Speaking of package, even Robert Patrick's package has now been, um, removed from this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks