What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As everyone knows, Star Wars: A New Hope, may be the first to hit motion pictures screen (in the summer of 1977), but stands as the fourth in the series of nine. It’s a bit akin to a Broadway shell game. Which walnut is the pea under?
“Let’s sit down and watch part four!”
No need to discuss the film at all.
It had moderate success not only upon its original release, but in revivals, new editions, home video rentals and sales, as well as the eight other films in the main series, and others that branch off that story.
My concern was how it would work in 4k, as a Blu-ray for home theaters, both on larger panels as well as in projection.
The easy answer is Splendidly.
One might presume that Fox / Disney would release something special, and they have. Albeit not the original 1977 version of the film, but so be it.
One of the things that I had either not recalled, or has been changed (which I would doubt) is that wonderful bit of aural maneuvering in the opening.
A bit akin to two...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This was the first movie I picked from the box set to see what it looked liked in 4K and did like the image & sound. Better detail and I noticed color was little different and a darker image compared to my old Blu-ray set but overall very nice. Will watch the whole box set soon and can't wait to see the extras.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
What do you make of other reviews on the interwebs that pan this release for over zealous grain reduction and frozen grain? Will those who like classic movies to look as close to film as home theater can replicate be happy with this?

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
As everyone knows, Star Wars: A New Hope, may be the first to hit motion pictures screen (in the summer of 1977), but stands as the fourth in the series of nine.
RAH

Well, maybe sixth in a series of eleven.

So far, Solo would come 1st, and Rouge One would come 2nd, then those 3 things (I will not name) that came out as prequels.

Then add the original film release from 1977.
Depends on how you’re counting -- By numbered title (4th of 9) or by true theatrically released feature films (6th of 11).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
What do you make of other reviews on the interwebs that pan this release for over zealous grain reduction and frozen grain? Will those who like classic movies to look as close to film as home theater can replicate be happy with this?
Meh. It's not the original film anyway.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Meh. It's not the original film anyway.

May be there, but I sampled, and noted no frozen grain. Grain was light, as would befit a fully exposed neg.

Not to offend, but I’m not referencing this as serious cinema. I’ve screened initially in 70mm, and later via a standard 35mm print, pre-fade, as well as in dye transfer.

Folks who love Star Wars should have no problems with this 4k, the fact that it is not the original version, aside.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Reviews for all 3 original Star Wars films are rather bad over at blu-ray.com. Way too much and obvious grain processing, frozen grain, even sharpening halos at times. Nothing close to a state of the art 4K remaster from the negtives. I think I'll pass. There will be better versions in time. Meanwhile some of the newer films look great it seems (Rogue One, SW 2+3, 7).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reviews for all 3 original Star Wars films are rather bad over at blu-ray.com. Way too much and obvious grain processing, frozen grain, even sharpening halos at times. Nothing close to a state of the art 4K remaster from the negtives. I think I'll pass. There will be better versions in time. Meanwhile some of the newer films look great it seems (Rogue One, SW 2+3, 7).
Some of us aren't spring chickens so this may be the best we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Reviews for all 3 original Star Wars films are rather bad over at blu-ray.com. Way too much and obvious grain processing, frozen grain, even sharpening halos at times.

All problems that are present on the Disney+ streaming version too. Disappointing, but not surprising.

May be there, but I sampled, and noted no frozen grain. Grain was light, as would befit a fully exposed neg.

I say this meaning no offense, RAH, but I think you need to watch more than a few minutes of a movie before passing judgment.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All problems that are present on the Disney+ streaming version too. Disappointing, but not surprising.

I say this meaning no offense, RAH, but I think you need to watch more than a few minutes of a movie before passing judgment.

None taken.

Can you please post a couple of time codes? Star Wars is not a film to which I can give a couple of hours at the moment. I'm attempting to sample as many titles as possible to aid in basic decision making by those that are homebound, while trying to keep errors to a minimum.

Be happy to update, if there are problems, as they should be known.

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Some of us aren't spring chickens so this may be the best we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

I am happy for those who have been waiting for the 4K release of the classic Star Wars films. But, as another who is long past the spring chicken age, I think between the Super 8 sound excerpt, the VHS, the laserdisc, the DVD, and the Blu-Ray, I think my days of updating the older films are over. I will pick up the combo 4k/Blu-ray pack of RISE OF SKYWALKER eventually to complete my collection.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
well I currently do not own the original trilogy so it's a no-brainer to pick up those movies in UHD 4K. Are they perfect? No.
If I only picked up releases of catalog titles that were absolutely perfect I probably wouldn't have very many.

But from what I've seen of Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back they look spectacular to my eye. I don't really notice Frozen grain unless I'm looking for it -- unless it's really overdone. I haven't been distracted by Frozen grain or lack of grain.
I think color-wise sound wise and detail wise they are fantastic.
And honestly I want to support physical media as long as I possibly can and if titles like Star Wars doesn't sell well on UHD because the releases aren't "perfect" -- then the age of physical media is going to come to a close real fast.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
None taken.

Can you please post a couple of time codes? Star Wars is not a film to which I can give a couple of hours at the moment. I'm attempting to sample as many titles as possible to aid in basic decision making by those that are homebound, while trying to keep errors to a minimum.

Be happy to update, if there are problems, as they should be known.

I don't have the UHD Blu-ray disc, but I noted moments of aggressive digital processing (frozen grain, edge halos) in the transfer when I streamed from Disney+. I'll have to scan through it again to get time codes.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
And honestly I want to support physical media as long as I possibly can and if titles like Star Wars doesn't sell well on UHD because the releases aren't "perfect" -- then the age of physical media is going to come to a close real fast.

Personally, while I found the image quality disappointing in places, I could live with most of those issues if the movie I watched was actually STAR WARS. The far bigger issue for me is that I simply do not want to buy or own another copy of this bastardized "Special Edition" desecration of the movie. I already subscribe to Disney+ for other content, so I resigned myself to streaming it from there to watch with my kids, but there's just no way I'm going to pay money to purchase a permanent physical copy of it until the original movie is properly restored. Which, unfortunately, will probably not happen in my lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks