What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is in my A.com basket, waiting for things to return to normal. I could order it in Canada, but for the price I’d have to pay here, I’d only have to add .50 to buy an actual showboat and go up and down the Mississippi myself!

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Now I wish Criterion would restore MGM's 1951 Technicolor valentine to Blu-ray since it doesn't look like Warner Archives is going to bother with it. Perfect companion piece to Universal's 1936 b&w version.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Terry, you may want to look at the website for Unobstructed View, who are the licensed Canadian distributor for Criterion. They currently offer a pre-order price of $27.99 (Canadian) for Show Boat ( as well as Prince of Tides ). With the terrible exchange rate on the Canadian dollar for the last few years I'm not sure you can do much better ordering from the U.S., even from a Barnes and Noble 50% off sale.

There are also offering their Criterion DVD's @ 2 for $30, which is an absolute steal for anyone still buying DVD's.

Sorry Americans - they will only ship within Canada.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, I hope Criterion is still shipping orders during the pandemic.

It looks like it is going to get harder and harder to get timely delivery from Amazon on certain items. I ordered a set of 4 ice cube trays today. When I placed the order it showed Prime delivery on Thursday, March 25. A few minutes ago I received an email with an updated delivery date of Thursday, April 23. The ice cube trays are still showing in-stock on Amazon's site (but now show April 23 delivery).

I *expected* the trays to maybe take 4-7 days but a month? No way I'm waiting that long for an in-stock Prime item. I cancelled the order.

It will be interesting to see if Amazon starts delaying shipping on Blu-rays (more than the 2-3 days it is already delaying new releases).

Mark

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
People are complaining about paying US $27 for Show Boat. Here in Australia it's costing me US $31 including postage! Nevertheless, money well spent. I had the movie on Laser disc and am looking forward to this hi res print.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Now I wish Criterion would restore MGM's 1951 Technicolor valentine to Blu-ray since it doesn't look like Warner Archives is going to bother with it. Perfect companion piece to Universal's 1936 b&w version.

Does the ‘51 need restoration?

Reactions: PMF

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just received the shipping notice for my order with Criterion. It's being sent Priority Mail so I should have it on Saturday, Monday at the latest.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My copy of 'Show Boat' is out for delivery today. Direct from Criterion for the win (vs. Amazon).

Mark

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm another one who has the Criterion LD, and watched it many times. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on Blu-ray. Also should be getting it Monday from Bull Moose.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Does the ‘51 need restoration?

Judging from the TCM showings, it does! Heh, heh... I don't know about the condition of the best available film elements, but the scan that currently airs on television is simply terrible. There's also print damage that goes beyond the typical dirt/scratches.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Watched the Criterion release today. It has been something like 30 years since I've seen the film so I can't comment on other releases but I'm VERY pleased with this Blu-ray.

Mark

John Skoda

Second Unit
One strange thing about the 1951 version on home video is, toward the end of laserdiscs they put out a laser where they used what existing multi-tracks they had to release a stereo version. I've still got my copy. Of the 27 non-bonus tracks on the Rhino remastered soundtrack CD, all but 5 were genuine stereo. And those 5 were all underscoring tracks, so they've got stereo for all of the musical numbers. But when the DVD came out, it was back to mono for some reason.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
One strange thing about the 1951 version on home video is, toward the end of laserdiscs they put out a laser where they used what existing multi-tracks they had to release a stereo version. I've still got my copy. Of the 27 non-bonus tracks on the Rhino remastered soundtrack CD, all but 5 were genuine stereo. And those 5 were all underscoring tracks, so they've got stereo for all of the musical numbers. But when the DVD came out, it was back to mono for some reason.

I noticed that, too. Very disappointing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've mentioned that on several occasions in other threads. No reason why the 1951 Show Boat laserdisc had a stereo soundtrack and the DVD didn't. The laserdisc also let you select either Annette Warren or Ava Gardner for the singing voice of Julie.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I've mentioned that on several occasions in other threads. No reason why the 1951 Show Boat laserdisc had a stereo soundtrack and the DVD didn't. The laserdisc also let you select either Annette Warren or Ava Gardner for the singing voice of Julie.

In addition the laserdisc set had over 2 hours of raw session recordings from the '51 version.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I hope Criterion is still shipping orders during the pandemic.
They are I "got" mine Monday and after watching the film, I am going through the supplements now....The booklet (at least from my scanning) does not seem to indicate that any of Edna Ferber's other novels were made into films... Which would be a GIANT error, as at least one seems Taylor-made for James Dean ;)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks