What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Based upon my displeasure with the To Catch a Thief disc, which premiered this series of studio Blu-ray releases, I had concerns while waiting for the initial images to arise on Roman Holiday.

Those concerns dissipated with immediacy.

Viewers should understand that without an original negative, especially dupes, can be problematic, as they're fourth generation, but there's never anything here that's of concern.

Nice blacks, with a generous gray scale, excellent resolution, a steady image, some very minor questionable grain, which disappears at viewing distance...

There's really not a problem in sight.

Roman Holiday, as a Blu-ray is 180 degrees from Thief.

A film for the ages, that should be in every serious cinephile's library.

Image – 4.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Without a doubt

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Good news and i did ordered it yesterday when Amazon lowered the price to $17.99. A great film with excellent performances by Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn and directed by William Wyler. Love the scenes of Rome too.

Reactions: PMF

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
This and the gunfighter are my 2 favorite Gregory Peck movies and they are both being released a month apart. These have been on my wish list now for 10 years and extremely happy that paramount did roman holiday up right. There are no concerns with the gunfighter since criterion is releasing it. Was the original negative used on the original dvd release? I am confused on when the negative was damaged for this film.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great to hear this is a quality disc. I've been trying to catch up on William Wyler's filmography lately, so I'm looking forward to filling in another gap.

Reactions: PMF

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks RH; your words fill me with the sort of confidence needed when ordering from Australia, with our dreadful exchange rate!
And thanks too incidentally for your kiind words in another threat about our beloved Calypso.....

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
So this is from IP, duplicate negative?
Digging...
"The original negative was processed at a local film lab in Rome and was unfortunately badly scratched and damaged. The film had to be pieced back together, but the splices were so weak due to the damage that extensive amounts of tape had to be used to allow the negative to make it through a printing machine. Because of the fragile state of the negative, a Dupe Negative was made and then blown up a few thousandths of an inch to cover all the splice tape that held the original negative together."
I don't understand this. Why was the scratched ON put through a printing machine instead of a scanner? And why is a dupe negative needed to hide splice tape? The ON scan could easily be digitally zoomed as needed. :unsure::emoji_worried:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So this is from IP, duplicate negative?
Digging...
"The original negative was processed at a local film lab in Rome and was unfortunately badly scratched and damaged. The film had to be pieced back together, but the splices were so weak due to the damage that extensive amounts of tape had to be used to allow the negative to make it through a printing machine. Because of the fragile state of the negative, a Dupe Negative was made and then blown up a few thousandths of an inch to cover all the splice tape that held the original negative together."
I don't understand this. Why was the scratched ON put through a printing machine instead of a scanner? And why is a dupe negative needed to hide splice tape? The ON scan could easily be digitally zoomed as needed. :unsure::emoji_worried:

This explanation seems to have been translated from another language, that is no longer spoken, and records no longer survive. The Rosetta Stone has been consulted.

Makes zero sense, but may be written specifically to confuse and confound.

Beyond that, I believe the orig neg has gone missing, along with several other Paramount films of the era.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This explanation seems to have been translated from another language, that is no longer spoken, and records no longer survive. The Rosetta Stone has been consulted.

Makes zero sense, but may be written specifically to confuse and confound.

Beyond that, I believe the orig neg has gone missing, along with several other Paramount films of the era.
Another William Wyler film The Best Years of Our Lives is also missing it's original film negative and in fact lost in shipment?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My thanks to the team at “Paramount Pictures Presents”. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the fruits of their labors upon “Roman Holiday”. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Looking forward to a pristine copy of Roman Holiday.

Was anyone else disappointed in Criterion's recent Blu-ray release of Paramount's The Lady Eve? Obviously not taken from the original film negative, but just the same, I expected more from Criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks