What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mutiny on the Bounty -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 1962 M-G-M production of Mutiny on the Bounty was a huge undertaking, and no expense seems to have been spared. That it is not up to the overall quality of the 1935 version seems somehow dwarfed by the gorgeous HD-DVD from WB, derived from original 65mm anamorphic elements reduction printed to 35mm IP, and scanned for this (and the SD) disc.

And while Mr. Brando may lisp his way through the production as an 18th century upper-crust super-fop, the other major players, amongst them Mr. Howard, are superb. The score is also a high point of Mr. Milestone's final directorial effort -- a noble close to 44 year career.

In a proper Ultra-Panavision aspect ratio, Mutiny has received lavish treatment in conversion to DVD.

For lovers of large screen cinema, this is one of the Event films.

Recommended.

RAH

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Same here. I already have it ordered and very much want to see this version again. If the only movies that ever came out on the the hd-dvd were the Classics that Warner, and to a lesser extent Universal have been releasing, I would not lose any sleep over not getting Sony releases in the HD format.

It is absolutly wonderful to see these films restored and in Hi-Def. Here's to hoping that Warner and the rest of the studios know the appreciation we have for these fine releases.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Another classic film I've never seen. I used to consider myself a vintage movie fan....
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I'm not sure I'd tag this as a "classic" film. I think that honor must be saved for the 1935 version. But this is nonetheless a film as fascinating for its flaws as for its finery.

And trying to catch a fleeting glimpse of Polynesian nipple (a popular activity for pubescent boys in 1962) should be all the more enticing in HD. I feel the waves of titillating nostalgia already coming over me. Still, I fear that the camouflage skills of the lei wranglers on this film will be just as indomitable in this new medium.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I'll be spending a large portion of the holiday season being one with my sofa and HD DVD collection.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I think it's a great film. The MGM Bounty of 1935 is a great adventure story, but this one is a better drama, I think. There's a lengthy shot of Brando standing on the deck, simply thinking about taking the ship, which is worth buying the disk just to see. It's a very underrated movie.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I agree Dee. Knowing the critical judgment of the film beforehand, I always dismissed it, until I watched it several times over the course of a few days (i din't have cable, and PBS was the only station that came in clear, and they ran it several times inside of a week). I became engrossed with it each time.
I always loved the Gable/Laughton version, but this one surprised me. Brando gets knocked for his performance here, but I think its a pretty savvy choice on his part. It makes his eventual actions all that more dramatic. And Howard makes a fantastic Bligh. Next to The Searchers, this was the classic I was most looking forward to this year on this format.

I think the film is ripe for reappraisal, and this should be the perfect opportunity for it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm so glad mr. Harris (thanks for that!) warned us in time that this release was to be expected. I almost bought the Brando set already, but instead ordered the Julius Caesar from it (just arrived), and waited for this HD one.

This is one of the films I saw in the theater at it's original release. This is a big screen movie, no doubt about it, and the HD treatment will do it a great service! Or should I say: does us a great service?

Ordered!

Cees

willyTass

Supporting Actor
SAW this for the first time last night. I was surprised by how much i enjoyed this film.

Even more surprising was that Marlon Brando was completely intelligible.

I only saw the DVD version and there are only a few "soft" scenes where things look a little blurry. I'll compare it to the HD-DVD version on friday

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It looks great, but the Tahiti sequence could have been cut by 2/3 without me shedding any tears.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my copy of this...............I haven't watched it through yet, but from what i've seen( the first few scenes), it looks positively stunning in HD!!.....and the great thing is, it's ALL on one single-sided disc!!!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Tahiti part is my favorite part of the film. In HD , its like being there!!! What magnificent cinematography!
This may be heresy, but I prefer the 62 Bounty. I find it vastly superior over the stodgy overrated hammy Gable/ Laughton version.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Warner Bros did a pretty good job on Mutiny On The bounty DVD version as when I compared it to the HD-DVD version it looked remarkably similar.

It's the backgrounds that benefit the most with 1920x1080 rather than the close ups. Very Lavish colors in HD-DVD

(flame suit on) I dont know where Mutiny On The Bounty has been hiding all these years but I've now seen it 3 times since release and enjoy it more and more.

Better than Master & Commander!! :)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched it last night. WOW! This HD DVD exceeds my wildest expectations in every department.

All I can say is if SPARTACUS looked half this good, I'm sure that we would have seen "A Few Words About"... that HD DVD by now. The fact that it hasn't even had an official HTF review yet speaks volumes.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A thread back from the dead....

I got the 2011 blu-ray of the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty when it came out. I like all three versions of this movie, but this one is actually my favorite.

What a great contrast between Trevor Howard's Captain Bligh and Marlon Brando's Fletcher Christian! If you ever wanted more of their short conflict found in 1978's Superman, this movie gives you three hours of it.

Great score by Bronislaw Kaper.

At the time it was one of the most expensive movies ever made, although the next year Cleopatra came in at something like double the cost.

In terms of picture and sound quality, this c. 16 year old transfer stands up fairly well, and I'd give it a B/B+ in terms of PQ. But maybe with a new transfer from 70mm elements for a 4k disc an A+ result might be possible? On another thread, however, it's suggested that cost makes this unlikely, even though good OCN elements exist.

I found Brando's slow dissolution over the course of the film compelling. Everything that Christian and Bligh think about the other is true. When Bligh tells Christian he's lost his country, Brando really shows during the rest of the movie how much this hit home. Poignant final scenes.

Actually there are two poignant final scenes. In the extra features, which I watched for the first time today, there are extra scenes set in 1814 that were originally intended to frame the movie, and which would have added maybe 6 minutes or so to the total running time.

I enjoyed the song during the intermission.

As with most people here, Lawrence of Arabia is by far my favorite movie of 1962, but with this re-watch this movie has now moved into my top five. It was nominated for multiple Academy Awards, including for Best Picture, Art Design (they built a whole ship!), cinematography, editing, score, song and special effects.

Next time I'm not going to wait ten years before pulling this out again. I liked seeing it on our 4k 65" screen, which gave it more impact emotionally and visually than the last time I saw it.

mutiny_on_the_bounty_ver3_xlg.jpeg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Marlon Brando's moving and disturbing last scene in the movie. Spoilers, obviously....

This is one of those movies where what went on behind the cameras partially overshadowed the finished film. The press on it was so bad that it became almost the "Heaven's Gate" of the early 60s, along with Cleopatra. The making of this movie was a mess in many ways, but the finished movie is very good from my pov.

Brando behind the cameras was leading a revolt even more chaotic that the one he was doing in front of the cameras. It was extremely difficult working with Brando, and many, including Richard Harris, apparently never forgave him for basically taking over the movie from two directors. But if you can mostly ignore that back story....

Mutiny on the Bounty actually had very good box office back in 1962 and 1963, but still lost money because the costs for it had gone so high. I wonder if TV revenues, as with Cleopatra, finally pulled it into the black?

The ongoing conflict between Howard's Bligh and Brando's Christian make the movie. Two bigger than life characters played by two bigger than life actors....

Fletcher Christian : I was just thinking, sir, that our little errand for groceries might wind up in a page of naval history if we succeed in negotiating The Horn in the dead of winter.
Captain Bligh : Why shouldn't we succeed? Admiral Anderson did.
Fletcher Christian : Yes, but of course he didn't choose to attempt it in a ninety-one-foot chamber pot. In any event, his was the only ship to do it, and I believe he lost fifty percent of his crew.
Captain Bligh : You might point that out to the crew. It should improve their performance. Remember: fear is our best weapon. Goodnight, sir.

Fletcher Christian : The men are being bandaged, sir. As to whether they are deserters, I'm a naval officer, not a judge.
Captain Bligh : To my mind, you are neither
Captain Bligh : I wonder why an alleged gentleman should give his first loyalty to ordinary seamen.
Fletcher Christian : Instead of to other alleged gentlemen?
Captain Bligh : Impertinence noted. It shall be logged. Do you care to enlarge the entry?
Fletcher Christian : Yes, only with this observation, which I will report to the Admiralty in any case: in my years of service I have never met an officer who inflicted punishment upon men with such incredible relish. Sickening.
Captain Bligh : Then go and be sick in your cabin, Mr Christian. I have never met a naval officer who was so proud of a weak stomach.

Captain Bligh : I'll have a sentry posted at the water cask, if you please.
Fletcher Christian : Aye, aye, sir.
Captain Bligh : [Holding a long-handled water ladle] I want this slung from the main t'gallant yardarm. Any man desiring water will climb and fetch it. He may have just as much water as this ladle holds, and no more. Then he will replace the ladle at the yardarm.
Fletcher Christian : Are we short of water, sir?
Captain Bligh : Do you wish me to repeat the order?
Fletcher Christian : No, sir, it's perfectly clear. A bit bewildering, but clear.
Captain Bligh : Then do it! Don't think about it. Thinking seems to confuse you!

Fletcher Christian : [to Captain Bligh] I assure you, sir, that the execution of my duties is entirely unaffected by my private opinion of you.

Fletcher Christian : Since we are not at war, sir, I would hope to give him a decent burial. Yes, sir.
Captain Bligh : I am at war. Against ill winds, contrary currents, and incompetent officers. You'd best join my war, Mr. Christian, for if I don't start winning soon, the casualty list will be real enough.

Fletcher Christian : You bloody bastard! You'll not put your foot on me again!
Captain Bligh : Thank you! I've been puzzling for a means to take the strut out of you, you posturing snob. Now, you've solved that for me, haven't you? You have witnessed Mr. Christian's act of violence toward a superior officer. He will be placed in confinement until a court martial can be convened. In Jamaica, I expect. And will your fashionable friends be there to witness your execution, I wonder? Let's hope so. Pity if your last function were to be a social failure.

Fletcher Christian : [to Captain Bligh] You remarkable pig. You can thank whatever pig god you pray to that you haven't turned me into a murderer.

Fletcher Christian : [wanting to flog Bligh before putting him in the boat, but he slowly puts the flog on Bligh's shoulder] Take your flag with you.
Captain Bligh : I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you, I still have a country.

Fletcher Christian : I believe I did what honour dictated, and that belief sustains me—except for a slight desire to be dead, which I'm sure will pass.

Midshipman Edward 'Ned' Young : Fletcher, I'm proud to be with you.
Fletcher Christian : You've done rather well, Ned. Promoted to the rank of criminal. Not even twenty and a death sentence on your head.

Fletcher Christian : You're in prison now, Mills. With one slight difference. We're not locked in. We're locked out.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I find it a breathtaking film! 4K would be astonishing!
The blu ray has the prologue and epilogue which I wish had been retained in the film. It was only used when it was first shown on TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks