What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As much as I loved The Greatest Showman, I loved La La Land more.
It's the opposite for me as I enjoyed the music and dancing more in The Greatest Showman, plus, I liked the idea of a larger cast acting and performing than what we have in La La Land.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Watched it again. Like it even more. The dance routines remind me of my three favourite Fred Astaire films (Three Little Words, The Belle of New York, Daddy Long Legs). It starts with a big scene-setting number and ends with a surprise. Lovely nostalgic, feel-good film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to seeing this one today and...
People seen to either get this film, or they don't.
...I guess I'm in the "don't" category.

I liked it but didn't love it. I do give it a lot of credit for primarily presenting the song and dance numbers without cuts. You can appreciate the choreography and performances in a way you just can't with the musicals that are edited like an MTV music video.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Only once as I didn't see a need to see it again in a movie theater. I just wasn't a fan like some of you. I enjoyed the human aspect of the film more so than the actual music and dance. TBH, I don't quite understand the love for this film. I'm not saying it's not a good film, but in my opinion, it's not a great film. Perhaps, more viewings of it will change my mind.

Dear Robert: It isn't you. It's the movie.

Honestly, I thought most of the numbers were amateurishly stitched together at best - the one at the planetarium in particular, where Gosling and Stone were hoisted into the starry ceiling, only to be brought down moments later. I just didn't see any spectacular footwork either.

A pose here, and tap there isn't dancing, and gyrating a lot with your hips and doing the runway model thing isn't dancing either. The dream ballet finale wasn't inventive - just a regurgitation of pieces from other ballets done better in other movies.

To each his own, but La-La-land was atrocious in my not so humble opinion. Anyone who can argue the point that Ryan Gosling doesn't croak like a toad while attempting to sing is either tone deaf or just deaf, again, in my opinion. Where is this from a Gene Kelly or Mario Lanza? No, sorry - definitely did not work for me - at all!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To each his own indeed. I thought La La Land was tremendously entertaining and the best film released that year. Ryan and Emma were terrific together. And imo their (unprofessional) singing and dancing were perfectly acceptable and added to the immense charm of the film.

And my hearing is above average by the way!;)

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
To each his own indeed. I thought La La Land was tremendously entertaining and the best film released that year. Ryan and Emma were terrific together. And imo their (unprofessional) singing and dancing were perfectly acceptable and added to the immense charm of the film.

And my hearing is above average by the way!;)

Wonderful film. Ryan and Emma's characters get to fulfill their dreams, the most Hollywood of endings yet most people i know didn't like the ending. Watch it often.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dear Robert: It isn't you. It's the movie.

Honestly, I thought most of the numbers were amateurishly stitched together at best - the one at the planetarium in particular, where Gosling and Stone were hoisted into the starry ceiling, only to be brought down moments later. I just didn't see any spectacular footwork either.

A pose here, and tap there isn't dancing, and gyrating a lot with your hips and doing the runway model thing isn't dancing either. The dream ballet finale wasn't inventive - just a regurgitation of pieces from other ballets done better in other movies.

To each his own, but La-La-land was atrocious in my not so humble opinion. Anyone who can argue the point that Ryan Gosling doesn't croak like a toad while attempting to sing is either tone deaf or just deaf, again, in my opinion. Where is this from a Gene Kelly or Mario Lanza? No, sorry - definitely did not work for me - at all!
Just to be clear, my final thoughts about "La La Land" are below in that linked post. My film grade is 4.0 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best. Granted, I don't love the film like Mike Frezon or Tino, but I do think it's a very good movie. Therefore, my film opinion of it is quite different than your critical take of the film.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4482738/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks