What's new

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Just confirmed no successor to the UB9000 or UB820 will be announced at CES. The UB9000 and UB820 will continue on through 2020-21.

Also no Instant Rebate promotions or price reductions are planned for the UB9000 as the tariffs have made it impossible to make this device's price any lower. So our $998 double boxed and delivered price with Spears & Munsil's 10bit test disc included is the best deal.

18b43f1a226d7b30eb9bd0e1c2f1bb84_rq5k.png

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...tra-hd-4k-blu-ray-player-review-part-1-video/

" Let me start off by saying that the DP-UB9000 is a videophile’s dream component. Its adjustability is simply staggering, and you can spend many hours playing with various settings for both HDR and SDR output. If you don’t want to fiddle, the default settings work well too. But many HDR displays have little to no control over their luminance curves which makes it hard for all content to look its best. I connected the Panasonic to an Epson 5050UB projector which has 16 different HDR luminance curves available between the two components, I could tailor HDR output very precisely to my room and screen."

Pretty much why I like this player so much. I'm loving the amount of features to optimize the video.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Zahn, is the 820 going to drop $100 at your store. It is available on other sites at $399 but not yours.
I'd rather deal with Value Electronics, than all the rest. Thanks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I remain infuriated that this critical feature remains only available on a thousand dollar device. Panasonic can pound sand.
The Panasonic 820 is $400, and has an HDR optimizer. I own this model, and it's been a terrific player. I think it's on the 420, too, but that model lacks Dolby Vision support.

zahoel

Auditioning
Real Name
Seth
Is there a difference between the 820 and the 9000 as far as playing video files from external memory devices connected to the players via their USB ports?

Do either of the players have the same issues that older Sony 4k disc players (UBP-X800 I think) have when it comes to playing video files from external hdds connected via USB? I'm talking about the "audio format not supported" issue which I think is caused by Atmos or advanced audio codec on 4K files that the older models couldn't support via external hard drives. Has this been resolved in newer models like the Panasonic 820 and 9000, so that you can basically play any video file from an external hdd without issues?

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Can a UB9000 owner confirm something for me?

Does your disc drawer close (and sometimes open for that matter) with a bit of a "roughness" to it...as if sand seems to be caught in the gears? Since the day I've owned mine (had it since the start of the pandemic, pretty much) I have experienced a worsening rough loading vibration/noise when the drawer closes -- specifically after I play a disc and then load a second to play. There's like a weird "shutter" the drawer makes and as it's being sucked in, the mechanism sounds a bit rough...something I would not have thought would be with a $999 player (even though every review talks about its "smooth as butter" transport/loader).

Here's something vital to mention: The drawer/loader made this noise once when there was NO disc in the tray...so I don't think it's being caused by some kind of disc-to-disc imbalance of any kind.

Now, let me be clear -- the unit is silent when discs are playing. This is only during loading that I'm hearing this sort of grinding/labored sound as if the loading mechanism is too rigid or something...

I've been consistently insulted and ridiculed/laughed at on another forum in particular for even bringing this up -- even though someone else in that very thread mentioned he hears this noise too on his 9000 and other owners over on AVS have described this sort of "labored" loading noise that sounds like "sand is caught in the gears" -- so if that's where this is going to go here, please refrain from hurling unhelpful criticism.

If any other owner of this device could lend any feedback, I'd appreciate it; it may be a matter of the way this unit was designed and that these sounds are normal, but I haven't really been able to get any insight about it elsewhere save for some random comments.

For what it's worth, here's what the guy who started the AVS owner's thread for the player said about it:

Loading loading
when pop the disc tray open it is s..l..o..w to open and a bit growny... the oppo is a lot more snappy... however the disc draw omn the pana feels more solidly made and has a rubbery feel on the disc contact surface. the oppo is just thin plain plastic by comparison.

I think by "growny" what he meant was a bit "growly," or rough, which is what I have been experiencing...

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Doesn’t sound normal from all the user threads I’ve lurked on at the British and US FORUMS. Id be contacting either the seller or Panasonic . Maybe an easy fix with some lithium grease/ machine oil on the rails.

liberty electronics in the USA sell many blu ray lasers. They also sell the oil. They are on eBay. Of course , it goes without saying, if you decide to fix it yourself , never ever look at the laser

what you are hearing is not normal

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've been consistently insulted and ridiculed/laughed at on another forum in particular for even bringing this up -- even though someone else in that very thread mentioned he hears this noise too on his 9000 and other owners over on AVS have described this sort of "labored" loading noise that sounds like "sand is caught in the gears" -- so if that's where this is going to go here, please refrain from hurling unhelpful criticism.

If the noise( which is not normal) bothers you, either sell the unit, or have it serviced from Panasonic if that is an option. That is not unhelpful criticism. That is good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks