What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in the dark ages of home video, May of 2018 to be exact, I reviewed the 4k releases of Braveheart and Gladiator, and found Gladiator to have been shorn its plastic shackles.

Now, a bit more than two years later, they arise anew, and there are two differences in Gladiator - a lovely steelbook, and a new finish on the 4k disc, now more of a delicate satin finish as opposed to matte. I can live with either, but in some cases I prefer the more satiny look.

The release is $5 more, a slight uncharge for the steelbook and satin finish, and should be a buy for anyone who doesn't yet have a 4k copy, or those who collect steelbooks.

As they say in those TV ads, great new package - same great taste!

My initial review gave the following ratings:

Image - 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes
Upgrade from previous 4k - Only if you're a steelbook / matte finish fan

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’ve said this in other threads- I think the steelbook spindles won’t release the disc
easily- seems that you have to bend the disc a
little bit to get it off the spindle.

Does the UHD have both cuts of the film?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I’ve said this in other threads- I think the steelbook spindles won’t release the disc
easily- seems that you have to bend the disc a
little bit to get it off the spindle.

I bought a season of Game Of Thrones in a Steelbook & couldn't get the discs out, they were dangerously bending over & still wouldn't come out. In the end I got the toolbox out & dismantled the damn thing & re-boxed the discs. The first & last time I've ever bought a Steelbook.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
With nearly every steelbook I've owned, i find that downward pressure on the spindle causes the disc to "pop" off. Maybe that's just me.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is a very small thing, but on Blu-ray and DVD, the end credits were white. Does anyone know why they're now yellow/gold on the UHD?

I don't remember which color they were theatrically, but I don't recall noticing they were different when I first saw the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks