What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Before the Devil Knows You're Dead -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Hey, I was just taking your description, but now you're adding things. :)

Depth? Anti-heroism? Now you're talking tragedy, and I certainly agree that Devil isn't that.

If there's anyone in the film for an audience to end up liking, it's probably Albert Finney's character. The audience I saw it with gave out a little murmur of satisfaction when he pulled the stunt with the police car. Even the film's sad ending feels earned.

M.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree. It seems horrific to root for vigilantism but it's gotta be a hard reaction to surrpress. That scene reminded me of the end to Se7en, tho again I didnt think it had as much impact because I really wasnt attached to the characters.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You know what attached me most to those characters?

They're ordinary. Life-sized. They're people you might actually know, pass on the street, see in your workplace, maybe have a drink with. And just beneath the surface there's all this . . . stuff.

I think we encounter people like that every day, but usually we don't get to watch their worlds implode right in front of us.

M.

MatS

Screenwriter
can I get some help from those who own this BD .....

Earlier this month I picked up a PV copy from BBV's 2/25 sale and when playing it back noticed a green pixel pop up at the 1 minute 52 second mark before PSH says the line "Blame it on Rio"

I thought this might have just been due to some fingerprints/scratches on the disc so I brought it back and exchanged it. Picked up a copy with no marks on it and assumed all was fine, but when I went to give it a quick preview spin the other night, sure enough .......

I went back and picked up the copy I originally watched from the library and the same flaw was present (must have missed it the other times I viewed it)

:confused:

MatS

Screenwriter
no need to confirm as others already have for me
I may have missed it my first viewing but cannot believe I have not seen mention of this flaw before especially from reviews.... I know I don't have the greatest of eyesight

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I would hazard the following guess: the movie was shot with HD digital cameras and not with regular film stock, IIRC. Perhaps the pixel glitch is in the source. I would liken it, in some ways, to when the lens of a camera gets splashed with something during a scene and they don't "clean it". I've not noticed such splattering on older films, presumably because cameras were bulkier and never placed as close to the action as some are today, but I've seen it on a number of films from the past 20 or so years. Perhaps this is just the electronic equivalent of a "camera smudge" that didn't get fixed at the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks