What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... ™ Batman Begins -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just ten days ago Warner Home Video raised the home video ante to new heights with the release of the 1938 Technicolor classic, The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Now, apropos of baseball season, they have not only hit the ball out of the park, but into orbit.

I screened Batman Begins this evening in Dolby Digital TrueHD, and two things are clear.

1. Batman Begins is an extraordinary motion picture.

2. Batman Begins is the most finely crafted piece of home video software yet created in the known universe.

I cannot recommend a piece of home video software more highly. This should be everyone's demo disc.

RAH

DanR

Supporting Actor
Until the sequel in 2008, of course. :)

Seriously though, it is a great movie. I wish I could check out the disc.

LOL !

Robert you will never stop to entertain me with phrases like this !

Just listening to your review and if I had the money

1) I would go directly to the best Home theater shop to buy the best equipment

2) Take Batman Begins at local store

3) Buy a new House to let my new hometheater sing !

4) Brings some friends of mine to a special screener

5) Invite you to comment that event ( Batman Begins screener of course ! )

Dave>h

Second Unit
Got min on order from Amazon, ships next week.

Also picked up Grand Prix and the Dirty Dozen on the RAH recommendation.

You should get some $$ from Amazon for all the sales you are generating!

Dave

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While I'm aware of the humor, any direct monetary gain would be inappropriate. Like others delivering reviews and commentaries to this group, all comments must remain untethered to direct compensation.

RAH

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I was just flipping through and saw this on HBO HD. It was cropped, of course, but it just heightened by anticipation for this disc. This is the one I've been waiting for since buying into HD-DVD.

Dave>h

Second Unit

Very new age of you. : )

Thankfully it is limited to direct compensation because there sure is a lot of advertsing on this site that is indirectly effected by reviews such as yours. I imagine that is how they pay for the upkeep and maintenance of this excellent source of reviews and HT expertise.

Personally, I would not have a problem if you were compensated though. Obviously, there would be the temptation to give an excellent review to a poor quality product in the hopes that compensation would flow as a direct result of the good review but it would not take long for consumers to wise up to the fact that the review did not reflect reality and thus any further reviews would be suspect, if not completely ignored, thus ending the flow of compensation. Ain't capitalism wonderful!

Sorry, I do appreciate the reviews that you provide us all and I do realize that you do it gratis but the truth is, without your reviews (and the other reviewers and HT experts contributions) this site would not be able to generate ad revenues and would not be able to sustain itself and its owners so saying your reviews do not result is direct monetary gain, while probably true that you do not directly benefit, is not a completely factual statement.

Dave

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Holly Motion Picture, Mr. Harris!!!
Will Batman Begins finally become the "Killer App" for HD discs?
Tune in again next week, same HT site, same HD forum!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
If I may ask, how did you go from ("probably") true to not ("completely") factual, in less than one sentence?
If I may submit an reason, it may be the fact that you took Mr. Harris personal statement about himself & generalized it to cover this forum completely.
Would that be accurate?
Thanks.

Dustin-W

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin
Picked up my copy last night and I am now even more excited to watch it tonight!!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

The best possible recommendation by the most-qualified member to judge this. You all heard it here first.

Dave>h

Second Unit

I believe Mr Harris' statement included all reviewers on this site and thus I think the generalization is appropriate. Without reviews, and high quality unbiased reviews at that, along with excellent contributions form HT experts, this site would not be able to generate ad revenue. To say that "all comments must remain untethered to direct compensation" is not completely accurate. Mr Harris may not directly benefit from his reviews but the site certainly does as do its owners and, I suspect, some of the ISF guys on forum.

I should have not said anything really, just having a bad day I guess...

Dave

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'd dare say that Mr. Harris and the other fine reviewers on this site spend time on HTF discussing this stuff for only one reason - because they enjoy it.

cjplay

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris

Oh my dear lord, we have appeased the Gods again. With all humility, the team at Warner Bros. Compression thanks you for your kind words, Mr. Harris.

Cjplay.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Mercy! Mine's on order with Amazon, but how can I wait out their slow order processing on HD's??

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I also ordered my copy through Amazon and waiting for ship.

We knew from day one that Batman Begins would be
the killer "app" that was needed for the HD-DVD format. This
is a film that had been begging to be brought to home screens
in glorious high definition.

In my opinion, Batman Begins is the greatest comic book
story brought to the screen. It was absolutely the best film of
last year, and I cannot wait to view this on HD-DVD.

Thanks, as always, for the few words we always look forward
to reading.

....and to the folks at Warner Brothers compression....keep up the
good work. You are the reason why all of us drool over these HD-DVD
releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We have extremely high hopes that Batman Begins will be joined by yet another reference quality disc on 14 Nov.

To cjplay...

We all know that your team has an old portrait of Mr. Feltenstein in the attic.

RAH

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:)

Yes, and I know you're not refering now to Looney Tunes, Golden Collection, no. 4, even if they may be great.

Sharing your trust, I pre-ordered the big one you were referring to already. :)

BTW, Oct 10th isn't too bad anyway: except Batman Begins, we'll also see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Corpse Bride.
No "killer apps", perhaps, but no insignificant B-titles either.

Cees

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Something good appears to be in the air...I got shipment notices already for Corpse Bride and Charlie/Chocolate Factory. They made the overnight trek to my nearby UPS office and will be on the truck on Monday!

As for Batman Begins, the shipment status shows "In Process" which... in theory... means it will be making that trek soon!

Thanks for the thumbs up, Mr. Harris! And thanks for the skilled authoring thumbs, Cjplay!

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks