What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Star is Born - Special Encore Edition (2018) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those who loved the 2018 re-make of A Star is Born, and can't get enough, the Special Encore Edition adds 12 minutes of additional material, padding out some music performances, and misc bits, and proving that more may or may not be better.

But it is longer.

The new Blu-ray, which is not 4k, is fine. The difference that may be noted between the earlier 4k and this HD version, is the lack of HDR.

Both have the same superior sounding Dolby Atmos track. As to the accompanying DVD, it only covers the original theatrical version. No loss.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw the extended cut in theaters and it's nothing much. It's not worse, but it's not better either; the extensions are just more. I'm good with the earlier release that I already paid $25 for back in February, but I suppose if you don't have that, a new Blu-ray purchaser might as well take both cuts of the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
According to the original press release, the extended cut was automatically added as a bonus feature to all prior digital purchases and redemptions of the theatrical version. So if you own the theatrical version on disc and haven’t already, redeem the digital copy and you’ll now have access to the extended version for free.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For the record, the streaming encore version which was just added as an extra to the existing iTunes version IS in 4K and HDR, but without Atmos.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the record, the streaming encore version which was just added as an extra to the existing iTunes version IS in 4K and HDR, but without Atmos.
Either the streaming industry needs to get its act together with the correct formats or the studios need to stop screwing with their consumer base by intentionally leaving off these formats from streaming services.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I disagree in this case. The streaming industry is adding a bonus to previous purchases that isn’t being offered in the physical realm. They’re offering an extra bonus at no cost to digital customers, a bonus that they’re asking physical customers to spend $20+ on.

This to me is a major improvement from Warner’s policy for other titles with extended versions like Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, where if you want the extended version you have to pay again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree in this case. The streaming industry is adding a bonus to previous purchases that isn’t being offered in the physical realm. They’re offering an extra bonus at no cost to digital customers, a bonus that they’re asking physical customers to spend $20+ on.

This to me is a major improvement from Warner’s policy for other titles with extended versions like Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, where if you want the extended version you have to pay again.
Of course, I'm talking about a lot of different titles and not just this one. With that said, for those of us with Dolby Atmos setups, it makes this extra bonus not really a bonus in my opinion. I rather pay extra than have it like this without Dolby Atmos.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course, I'm talking about a lot of different titles and not just this one. With that said, for those of us with Dolby Atmos setups, it makes this extra bonus not really a bonus in my opinion. I rather pay extra than have it like this without Dolby Atmos.

It seems like there’s a trade off either way. Buy the disc and get Atmos but only 1080p video. Or watch the stream in 4K with 5.1.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, I really hate that as a HT enthusiast.

I totally get that. There is no single movie release that annoys me as much as Star Trek Into Darkness. The movie was conceived to be seen in 3D with shifting aspect ratios. On disc, you can get it in 2D with shifting ratios, or in 3D with a constant ratio - neither are true to the filmmakers’ intent, and neither are reflective of what I saw in theaters a dozen times. It’s a movie I enjoy too much to simply not watch, but my enjoyment is less than it should be because it just registers as WRONG to my brain.

No one really cared because it was 3D and people are very quick to write off any 3D related complaints.

It’s disappointing to me that Warner has found a new way to essentially do the same thing.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The 4 Batman films upgraded to 4K last night as well, but I don't have them yet (waiting for a better price on the Superman/Batman 11 film iTunes bundle) but as far as I can tell none of the four as yet have Atmos. iTunes does have a bad habit of adding Atmos at a later date and they usually have to drop it down to HD for a week in order to fix it. It seems ridiculous to me that it is such an ordeal for them to fix stuff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 4 Batman films upgraded to 4K last night as well, but I don't have them yet (waiting for a better price on the Superman/Batman 11 film iTunes bundle) but as far as I can tell none of the four as yet have Atmos. iTunes does have a bad habit of adding Atmos at a later date and they usually have to drop it down to HD for a week in order to fix it. It seems ridiculous to me that it is such an ordeal for them to fix stuff.
Thanks for the heads up and those four Batman movies did upgrade to 4K/Dolby Vision in my iTunes library without Dolby Atmos.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for the heads up and those four Batman movies did upgrade to 4K/Dolby Vision in my iTunes library without Dolby Atmos.
And the first Batman film just dropped back down to HD. You know what that means, don't you Robert? Atmos is coming! :lol: We just need to keep an eye out on the Encore edition of A Star is Born to see if it eventually goes Atmos.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My ASiB did not have Atmos yesterday. I haven’t checked yet today. iTunes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Vudu just added the Encore (extended cut) as an extra, and it’s in 4K with HDR and it has Atmos! Now we’ve got everything. Suck on that iTunes! :P

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Vudu just added the Encore (extended cut) as an extra, and it’s in 4K with HDR and it has Atmos! Now we’ve got everything. Suck on that iTunes! :P

Ha.
Yes it’s true but this is also for those that bought it through iTunes as I did.
The Vudu version for us also has it with Atmos and 4K.

Oddly though Vudu continues to only allow Atmos for those that actually watch on a 4K tv.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And the first Batman film just dropped back down to HD. You know what that means, don't you Robert? Atmos is coming! :lol: We just need to keep an eye out on the Encore edition of A Star is Born to see if it eventually goes Atmos.
Batman and Batman Forever showed up in my digital library with 4K and Dolby Atmos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks