What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 1917 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Round about sixty or so years ago, the French decided to hone in on film directors as the main source of inspiration, and credit for filmmaking.

Here in the Colonies the concept was heralded by the great Andrew Sarris, and amplified in his book, The American Cinema.

The reality is that filmmaking is generally, very much a group effort.

Try to imagine Lawrence without the input of Robert Bolt or Freddie Young.

While directors are still generally credited as the author of a film, they bring together the various departments, working initially toward the overall design of a film with their DP, and Production Designer, while location scouting, casting and other niceties begin to come together.

There is no film in recent memory for which this rings more true than for 1917, directed by Sam Mendes, working hand in hand with cinematographer Roger Deakins, and production designer Dennis Gassner.

While you're probably aware of Mr. Mendes and Mr. Deakins, unless you read film credits, you may have missed seeing Mr. Gassner's name.

We'll correct that shortcoming.

Beginning his career at Zoetrope in the late 1970s, as a graphic and title designer, he made a move to production design in 1986 on The Hitcher. It's nice to start small.

But in 1989, he designed Field of Dreams, followed by Miller's Crossing, The Grifters...

And has gone on to create some of the major work over the past three decades:

A sampling...

Barton Fink
Bugsy
The Hudsucker Proxy
Waterworld
The Truman Show
O Brother...
Road to Perdition
Big Fish
The Golden Compass
Quantum of Solace
Skyfall
Into the Woods
Spectre
Blade Runner 2019...

and

He is one of those production members who I reference as "without whoms..."

They get thanked at award ceremonies, but people don't seem to know their names.

Now you will.

1917 is one of the most technically driven films of the past couple of decades. What seems simply isn't. What appears to be a single shot... well, we'll let you figure that out.

But try to imagine the bravura planning that went into even the most simple move.

Auteur Theory?

I don't think so.

Great film, and one of the absolute best of 2019.

As a 4k release, it's perfect, and even plays nicely with projectors, although it will appear a bit more accurate on a top panel that can run Dolby Vision.

Photographed in large format, and finished as such, it's perfect 4k fodder.

I suggest you grab a copy.

Is it one of those films that brings home theater upgrades into perspective?

I believe it is.

Image – 5 (HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

andySu

Senior HTF Member
1917.jpg

1917 (2019) (US import) arrived this morning
Dolby AtmosPlusIIIx 26 channels / 156 JBL speakers / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System, 21kw

Overhead surround is used sparingly chapter 5, 20:12 I have the Dolby AtmosPlusIIIx tuned through rehearsal listening to other channels otherwise most Atmos home cinemas I would bet would have a some audio masking difficulties and certain sounds may go unheard/unnoticed.

Bass and LFE.1 is deep and reverberate to create a tense feeling of walking around the ruins of houses and muddy waters.

Cinematography looks good clear and nicely camera focused with some nice camera crane shots and steadicam.

Update on the Dolby Atmos. Don't expect a lot of usage on the Heights 1 2 and 3 the biplane scene at chapter 5, 20:12 is about as much as you would hear. A few little derbies on Height 1 during the last battle scene that only lasts for few seconds. How did this win best sound?? No use of serious 100% directional dialogue panning. I think academy ampas members must be all hard of hearing when it comes to nomination voting.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Given my strained blu-ray budget I was very fortunate to pick this up at the Amazon sale a few days ago for $8. It's a wonderful movie and a very impressive 4k presentation. The tension from the seeming continuous shot is palpable, the production design is amazing, and the score by the great Thomas Newman is one of my favorites of the 21st century. Special features include a commentary by director Sam Mendes as well as a separate one by Roger Deakins. Overall, I think this is one of my favorite war movies of all time, probably in my personal top ten. (But just don't ask me what the other nine are.)

Last edited:

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
If you add the item to your cart with your store selected, it will show if it’s available for curbside pickup. The store I selected only allowed curbside pickup, the in store pickup was not available. if it’s not available at your store, it will show availability at nearby stores.

83010B66-D9B3-4F92-A53C-3C5BC22D71F6.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched 1917 for the first time last night via the 4K blu ray on my Sony OLED. I did not know what the film is about, so I went in totally blind.

i was very impressed by the technical nature of how it was made. While I was very involved in the story and the plight of the two main leads, I could not help but notice that it was made by continuous tracking shots. Perhaps there were some places where the characters pass behind something to allow for a cut, but it was very undetectable. It just felt like a very long day for Blake and Schofield, especially Schofield. It was a very impressive performance. It reminds one of the viewing experience of Hitchcock’s Rope.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I watched 1917 for the first time last night via the 4K blu ray on my Sony OLED. I did not know what the film is about, so I went in totally blind.

i was very impressed by the technical nature of how it was made. While I was very involved in the story and the plight of the two main leads, I could not help but notice that it was made by continuous tracking shots. Perhaps there were some places where the characters pass behind something to allow for a cut, but it was very undetectable. It just felt like a very long day for Blake and Schofield, especially Schofield. It was a very impressive performance. It reminds one of the viewing experience of Hitchcock’s Rope.
It’s less impressive than it used to be…

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I think academy ampas members must be all hard of hearing when it comes to nomination voting.

It's sadly true that you can't depend upon voting being on the basis of ideal cinema viewing.

Here in the UK I know of a BAFTA member who works through a pile of DVDs of nominations on a sub-standard tv that you wouldn't make your cat watch. Neither does this person possess the merest scrap of technical knowledge nor appreciation.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I remember talking to Ralph Burns one time. He won an Oscar in the Best Socring Original Song Score and/or Adaptation category for Cabaret. He said that after the film was mixed and shown to some in Germany, he was not pleased with the sound. He talked to them (I don't know who) about it and they told him not to worry, that it was going to be remixed when they returned to the U.S. It never was. He was told later that there wasn't money in the budget to do so.

So I laughed and said to him, so it probably got nominated for an Oscar anyway. He said he didn't remember so I looked it up. Not only did it get nominated, it won.

WINNER -- Cabaret - David Hildyard and Robert Knudson
--Butterflies are Free - Charles T. Knight and Arthur Piantadosi
--The Candidate - Gene Cantamessa and Richard Portman
--The Godfather - Bud Grenzbach, Christopher Newman and Richard Portman
--The Poseidon Adventure - Herman Lwis and Theodore Soderberg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks