Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
While Paramount seems to be taking some questionable steps in their new Paramount Presents series, there are no such inadequacies with their new 4k release of Tony Scott’s Top Gun.
No reason for a great many words here.
The new Top Gun in 4k appears perfect to these eyes. Color, grain structure, stability, overall resolution – all gorgeous.
Aside from the experimental 3D version, this is the one to own.
Dolby Atmos rounds out a beautiful package.
Still a terrific piece of fun entertainment.
Image – 5 (HDR10) – perfect in projection
Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)
Pass / Fail – Pass
Highly Recommended
RAH
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Scott
Did they keep the warmer color timing of the 3D release?

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I won't get my 4K disc until next week, but iTunes upgraded their HD digital to 4K/Dolby Vision and it looked beautiful. The only problem is that there is no Dolby Atmos which is BS.:thumbsdown: I wanted to just sample the beginning of the film and ended up watching the first 45 minutes of the movie before I had to tell myself to stop as it will take away from next week's excitement.:)

Reactions: Glenn C.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I won't get my 4K disc until next week, but iTunes upgraded their HD digital to 4K/Dolby Vision and it looked beautiful. The only problem is that there is no Dolby Atmos which is BS.:thumbsdown: I wanted to just sample the beginning of the film and ended up watching the first 45 minutes of the movie before I had to tell myself to stop as it will take away from next week's excitement.:)
Will the 4K disc have Atmos? This is an older film.
Edit: Never mind.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
“Aside from the experimental 3D version, this is the one to own.” Does this mean don’t bother with the 3D?

ArnoldLayne

Stunt Coordinator
Premium
Reaction score
Website
www.blu-ray.com
Real Name
Chris
“Aside from the experimental 3D version, this is the one to own.” Does this mean don’t bother with the 3D?
Not at all - the 3D is very nice, and I believe from a later, better scan than the original 2D BD. In fact the UHD IIRC could be based on that scan. I must have the 3D and the UHD.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Asked in another thread:

The Blu-ray included here is the 2020 remaster, not the old one - Atmos and all.

It's also available for purchase on its own...

Reactions: dpippel

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Well, my 4K disc finally shipped from Target so it's going to be next week after Memorial Day before I'm able to watch it.

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
iTunes just added Atmos. And they didn’t even have to revert back to HD while they did it!

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Well, my 4K disc finally shipped from Target so it's going to be next week after Memorial Day before I'm able to watch it.
Surprise, surprise, my 4K disc arrives tomorrow from Target.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
iTunes upgraded their soundtrack to Atmos. However, the 4K disc which I watched today has superior video and audio presentations over its iTunes 4K digital. This is why I need to be more careful on which movies I purchase digitally if that same movie has a 4K disc release. The first 15 minutes of the movie made that abundantly clear to me.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Scott Merryfield

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
We watched this last night and DAMN, it just looks and SOUNDS fantastic. The aerial footage still impresses in a major way.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derpok