Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
From a collector. Appears to be Metropolitan Theater, Boston, now the Wang.
That’s very cool to have preserved that clipping. What’s interesting is none of the actors are named in that ad for The War of the Worlds. The producer, director and writer are noted as is Wells. It’s the experience of the film that’s the focus.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm with you on the grain reduction. It's a tad too much and detail is lost to a varying degree depending on the shot. It looks a tad digital as a result. It did bother me some and it's a shame because otherwise it looks and sounds fantastic. Not sure why Paramount keeps doing this. Still, a good release overall and big improvement from the DVD. The 5.1 track is well done.
I think it's their "thing." I just watched The Tenant from Shout Factory, transfer licensed from Paramount, and while I thought it was a nice disc, I felt the same sort of grain management was in play. Trying to find the DVD to see what that grain looks like. I mean, it has detail in the close-ups and all, but it just has a weird sort of appearance. There's grain but it's just weird.

B-ROLL

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think it's their "thing." I just watched The Tenant from Shout Factory, transfer licensed from Paramount, and while I thought it was a nice disc, I felt the same sort of grain management was in play. Trying to find the DVD to see what that grain looks like. I mean, it has detail in the close-ups and all, but it just has a weird sort of appearance. There's grain but it's just weird.
Weird grain?
1596342491923.png

It might be time to contact an insurance agent;) !

Reactions: Malcolm R

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
Not according to some - it's certainly had grain reduction of some sort but on this particular title people don't seem to care or won't acknowledge it. It certainly was noticeable and yes it bothered me a bit, but I still enjoyed the Blu-ray.
In total agreement on this one but curious as to why Criterion would ever approve this for release ? Criterion of all labels with their high quality/ film preservation standards would certainly have noticed this scrubbing?
I believe I recall more grain on the LD as it should be. Time for me to fire up the old monster machine and search for that disc!

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Sounds like it's the same as the iTunes version, then. I'll probably just stick with that.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gr8Dane