Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From a collector. Appears to be Metropolitan Theater, Boston, now the Wang.
That’s very cool to have preserved that clipping. What’s interesting is none of the actors are named in that ad for The War of the Worlds. The producer, director and writer are noted as is Wells. It’s the experience of the film that’s the focus.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm with you on the grain reduction. It's a tad too much and detail is lost to a varying degree depending on the shot. It looks a tad digital as a result. It did bother me some and it's a shame because otherwise it looks and sounds fantastic. Not sure why Paramount keeps doing this. Still, a good release overall and big improvement from the DVD. The 5.1 track is well done.
I think it's their "thing." I just watched The Tenant from Shout Factory, transfer licensed from Paramount, and while I thought it was a nice disc, I felt the same sort of grain management was in play. Trying to find the DVD to see what that grain looks like. I mean, it has detail in the close-ups and all, but it just has a weird sort of appearance. There's grain but it's just weird.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think it's their "thing." I just watched The Tenant from Shout Factory, transfer licensed from Paramount, and while I thought it was a nice disc, I felt the same sort of grain management was in play. Trying to find the DVD to see what that grain looks like. I mean, it has detail in the close-ups and all, but it just has a weird sort of appearance. There's grain but it's just weird.
Weird grain?
1596342491923.png

It might be time to contact an insurance agent;) !

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Not according to some - it's certainly had grain reduction of some sort but on this particular title people don't seem to care or won't acknowledge it. It certainly was noticeable and yes it bothered me a bit, but I still enjoyed the Blu-ray.
In total agreement on this one but curious as to why Criterion would ever approve this for release ? Criterion of all labels with their high quality/ film preservation standards would certainly have noticed this scrubbing?
I believe I recall more grain on the LD as it should be. Time for me to fire up the old monster machine and search for that disc!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Sounds like it's the same as the iTunes version, then. I'll probably just stick with that.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
I watched the 4k print, bought for $4.99, on my 4k TV.
I was absolutely stunned by the restoration, I have NEVER seen the colours pop like they did, red and green especially, this was most noticeable by the vibrant red on a newspaper headline that was in a garbage can when Gene Barry is stumbling around the city after being robbed of the truck by the mob.
I will get the Criterion BluRay because, i like to have physical media of my favourite titles, but it won't be as stunning as watching the 4k print.Which is highly recommended.

Reactions: Flashgear

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, how many times have we watched this on crappy broadcast presentations and never really seen it? Now I've SEEN it. The Bob Hope billboard being destroyed. The scar where Gene Barry had his nose fixed. The beautiful model scenes, military vehicles, planes, etc. (let's face it, as kids we were more into them being models than life size, so we can imagine them with our train sets).

The look of the Martian spaceships was always cool and timeless, but I don't know why I never noticed they were probably based on the same wingless military planes that were so advanced at the time and featured in the stock footage? That was the height of future design at the time.

I also noticed the Pacific Technology Institute or whatever it's called HQ is the office administration office buildings on the Paramount lot.

Now, if only the dialogue held up as well as the rest of the film. Oh, well, it's a pure joy seeing this film that came out the year before I was born as close to how it was supposed to look at the theater. Talk about a Time Machine; I'm a kid again.

And isn't it a bit ironic that the same thing that saves mankind in this story is the thing most threatening mankind today?

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I never noticed Gene Barry had a scar on his nose. Now I’ll have to look for it.

There’s all kinds of interesting information about how Albert Nozaki designed the war machines and how it was more practical then doing it as Wells has written. Like how the tripod effects was created to show the magnetic force that supported it in the air. The Spielberg film was a closer rendition based on the book. I wondered how a stop motion animated machine would work in the original movie, might now have been as exciting. I think the manta ray design by Nozaki is a classic.

I also watched the Criterion Robinson Crusoe on Mars blu ray after watching WotW. It’s interesting to learn that Nozaki was told to use the same design, but altered slightly and they had to build new Martian ships as the originals were made of copper were long lost and melted down.

Reactions: Flashgear

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Okay, how many times have we watched this on crappy broadcast presentations and never really seen it? Now I've SEEN it. The Bob Hope billboard being destroyed. The scar where Gene Barry had his nose fixed. The beautiful model scenes, military vehicles, planes, etc. (let's face it, as kids we were more into them being models than life size, so we can imagine them with our train sets).

The look of the Martian spaceships was always cool and timeless, but I don't why I never noticed they were probably based on the same wingless military planes that were so advanced at the time and featured in the film? That was the height of future design at the time.

I also noticed the Pacific Technology Institute or whatever it's called HQ is the office administration office buildings on the Paramount lot.

Now, if only the dialogue held up as well as the rest of the film. Oh, well, it's a pure joy seeing this film that came out the same year I was born as close to how it was supposed to look at the theater. Talk about a Time Machine; I'm a kid again.
Just remember the immortal words of Judge Joe Brown ...
1596909395151.png

"It's ENTERTAINMENT!" :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I like how they added texture to the movie with minor characters. They gave that forestry dude his own mini-arc. The old lady hawking papers, the guy with a brief-case full of money.

Fritzl Dog

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
The Criterion upgrade is what you'd expect. Improvements in picture, and especially the sound! Even through a Yamaha soundbar(linked to my LG OLED), the SFX were robust, boom..boom! A side note: I had the privilege of speaking by phone with Jack Kruschen when I was working at a call center for consumer products. A real gentleman! His turn as the Oscar-nominated neighbor to Jack Lemmon's character in Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" is a favorite of mine.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Criterion upgrade is what you'd expect. Improvements in picture, and especially the sound! Even through a Yamaha soundbar(linked to my LG OLED), the SFX were robust, boom..boom! A side note: I had the privilege of speaking by phone with Jack Kruschen when I was working at a call center for consumer products. A real gentleman! His turn as the Oscar-nominated neighbor to Jack Lemmon's character in Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" is a favorite of mine.
Oh yeah, he was so good in that part.

KPmusmag

Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am really thrilled with the color on this disc; after years of watching a really beat-up print on channel 5 when I was a kid, this is really something. And I love Ben Burtt's 5.1 track, it is quite enveloping (but happy to have the original mono also, of course.)

I found this ad in the New York Times archive from 08/13/1953 which references stereophonic sound. One of the supplemental features on the disc mentions it, but apparently was used in only a few venues. I got the sense that it wasn't true stereo, more of a moving the mono track from speaker to speaker gimmick.

WW.JPG

Reactions: Reed Grele

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought I’d post that was able to find a copy of the Intrada Soundtrack disc that has The War of the Worlds score, plus When Worlds Collide. And the scores for The Naked Jungle and Conquest of Space. It was a bit pricey, but worth it considering there are 4 scores in this set. And two of my favorites. The set appears in great shape. Even the booklet appears to never have been touched. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet, but I’m looking forward to it and to hear Neil’s work on it. Yes, work is work. I totally understand.

5DFF09F7-20BC-41EC-8A7B-6798AA4BE3B2.jpeg

Whenever I see Van Cleave’s name, I think of The Twilight Zone.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
And isn't it a bit ironic that the same thing that saves mankind in this story is the thing most threatening mankind today?
It's funny how timing can work in interesting ways. Last night, I finally got around to watching Joker, and I was struck by how the sub-plot of the uprising of the Gotham City populace resonated in a way now that it wouldn't have if I'd watched the movie in January when I bought the disc.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I found this ad in the New York Times archive from 08/13/1953 which references stereophonic sound. One of the supplemental features on the disc mentions it, but apparently was used in only a few venues. I got the sense that it wasn't true stereo, more of a moving the mono track from speaker to speaker gimmick.
Its quite possible that was the case, As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the surviving 35mm music masters are all in mono so it appears the score was not recorded stereophonically at the very least.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, I thought I’d post that was able to find a copy of the Intrada Soundtrack disc that has The War of the Worlds score, plus When Worlds Collide. And the scores for The Naked Jungle and Conquest of Space. It was a bit pricey, but worth it considering there are 4 scores in this set. And two of my favorites. The set appears in great shape. Even the booklet appears to never have been touched. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet, but I’m looking forward to it and to hear Neil’s work on it. Yes, work is work. I totally understand.

View attachment 76969

Whenever I see Van Cleave’s name, I think of The Twilight Zone.
Naked Jungle is a good movie. I still remember having to explain to my Mom that “It’s not that kind of movie. Charlton Heston wouldn’t make that kind of movie.”

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay