What's new

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Barefoot in the Park seemingly has the same issue. Completely out of synch during the credits and first scene but all I had to do was hit the scan backwards button, hit play again and it was fine.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
After reading what others have had to say about the transfers of Sons Of Katie Elder and Barefoot In The Park, the old axiom of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. :( While $9.99 is an attractive price, I for one would have happily paid $24.99 for a spiffed up transfer. Ah well, caveat emptor when the next batch of $9.99 Paramount titles are announced.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After reading what others have had to say about the transfers of Sons Of Katie Elder and Barefoot In The Park, the old axiom of "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. :( While $9.99 is an attractive price, I for one would have happily paid $24.99 for a spiffed up transfer. Ah well, caveat emptor when the next batch of $9.99 Paramount titles are announced.
I suspected these Paramount $9.99 BD releases were derived from older masters. It's the reason why I didn't order "Uncommon Valor" because I already had the iTunes HD digital. The same with "Barefoot in the Park". I almost didn't buy "The Sons of Katie Elder", because I have the Vudu HD digital, but decided what the hell, it's my favorite actor and I want as many of his movies on Blu-ray as possible.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I hope Last Train From Gun Hill gets released by Paramount Presents. But It should and Better look as good as Gunfight at the OK Corral does on Bluray. I love John Wayne and Dino but Never cared for Katie Elder.
LAST-TRAIN-FROM-GUN-HILL-one-sheet.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope Last Train From Gun Hill gets released. But It should and Better look as good as Gunfight at the OK Corral does on Bluray. I love John Wayne and Dino but Never cared for Katie Elder.
If it does get released and it's priced at $9.99 then I'm afraid that BD will be derived from an older master. For most people, it will probably look fine to them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If it does get released and it's priced at $9.99 then I'm afraid that BD will be derived from an older master. For most people, it will probably look fine to them.

I'm inclined to agree. The recently announced blu release of Altman's Popeye has a similar low price point so I'm not expecting much in terms of improvement over the DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
And come to think of it, Paramount's blu release of On A Clear Day You Can See Forever should have been released at that lower price point too as its only marginally better than the DVD instead of the $20 to $25 price range.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My disc arrived today. Top 10 John Wayne film for me.

Mine arrived yesterday but it'll be a few days before I get around to watching it. It's certainly not on my top 10 Wayne list and maybe not even top 20.

For the record, my top 10 John Wayne list in alphabetical order:

The High And The Mighty
Hondo
In Harm's Way
North To Alaska
Red River
The Sea Chase
The Searchers
The Shootist
Stagecoach
True Grit

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
My Top Favorite John Wayne movies are ........The Quiet Man .....The Searchers .....Hondo .....Red River...She Wore a Yellow Ribbon .....Mclintock ! .....The Horse Soldiers ....Rio Bravo .....Sands of Iwo Jima .....Legend of the Lost ... Rio Grande .....and The Alamo.
QUIET MAN.jpg

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
My Top Favorite John Wayne movies are ........The Quiet Man .....The Searchers .....Hondo .....Red River...She Wore a Yellow Ribbon .....Mclintock ! .....The Horse Soldiers ....Rio Bravo .....Sands of Iwo Jima .....Legend of the Lost ... Rio Grande .....and The Alamo.

Best looking John Wayne movies:

The Alamo
Legend of the Lost
The Searchers

This must be the reason you have Legend of the Lost on your list :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
These are not titles that would sell tens of thousands. It’s akin to licensing an extant transfer to a sub. Paramount is doing continuous quality new work.

It simply isn’t being released.
OMG, I such an old fart. I read about Katie Elder and think “Yeah, this will sell big, it’s JOHN WAYNE. Everybody likes The Duke.” Then I read this and release the immortal JW isn’t so immortal these days. Crap!

tigereyes

Agent
Real Name
Paul B, Scott
I'm finding that the sound is out of synch for the first 15 minutes of the movie, at least. This is really noticeable in the beginning in the scenes at the train station.

It really ruins the experience. I'm very surprised, and dismayed, that this review didn't mention that.
Mine is in sync..Probably a Player problem.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Maybe it’s because JW is a controversial conservative- there’s a petition to rename even the airport out in La La Land. Far lesser crap gets new 4K scans. I’m not a J W fan really but nothing would surprise me nowadays.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Maybe it’s because JW is a controversial conservative- there’s a petition to rename even the airport out in La La Land. Far lesser crap gets new 4K scans. I’m not a J W fan really but nothing would surprise me nowadays.
I think it has more to do with the fact that almost no one under 40 grew up with his films. Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jerry Bruckheimer and a host of others, aren't exactly liberals, but it doesn't seem to have hurt them financially.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Best looking John Wayne movies:

The Alamo
Legend of the Lost
The Searchers

This must be the reason you have Legend of the Lost on your list :)
I like Legend of the Lost and I Love Sophia. She was born in Italy and very close to where my family came from.
legendofthelost2.jpg
SOPHIA (1).jpg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it has more to do with the fact that almost no one under 40 grew up with his films. Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jerry Bruckheimer and a host of others, aren't exactly liberals, but it doesn't seem to have hurt them financially.

That’s absolutely it. Films from 50+ years ago just aren’t as relevant culturally as they were at the time of their release. That’s been true of every art/entertainment form in every period of history.

I’m 37 and I’d consider myself to be a pretty good though not expert fan of Wayne’s films. In the past five years I‘ve seen a lot of them. That puts me out of step with my peers, which is fine, but it’s got nothing to do with Wayne’s politics. Most people my age would have no idea what those politics were and if they did, they wouldn’t care to any significant degree. Chris Pratt has personal and political beliefs that are arguably opposite those of his Starlord character, but that hasn’t gotten in the way of Guardians of the Galaxy grossing a billion dollars.

I’d also argue that in the year 2020, if someone was interested in discovering John Wayne for the first time, they’re much more likely to stream one of his films on a subscription service they already have rather than buying a disc.

This release seems clearly targeted to an older audience with a preexisting appreciation of Wayne. I’ll have to order one soon :)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I’m 37 and I’d consider myself to be a pretty good though not expert fan of Wayne’s films...
I'm 52, which isn't exactly young, but even I consider Wayne to be before my time. His last film came out in 1976, which is just when I was getting interested in movies at age 7-8.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks