What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Hunt – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Politics is a verboten discussion on HTF, but it's virtually impossible to discuss Craig Zobel's The Hunt without at least tiptoeing around the subject.

The Universal film was scheduled for release late in 2019, but was pulled because of shootings and other perceived problems. Rescheduled for March 13, and then came COVID, and the closure of theaters.

So what was the big deal?

At it most simplistic, the film is a modern take on The Most Dangerous Game, with hunters taking down humans as opposed to less innocent beasts. There are definitely regional and national politics at play here - north vs south - red vs blue - and a comment regarding a commander-in-chief involved in the purported hunt. I found it unclear whether the comment referenced a corporate exec or someone at a high level. But it's there, regardless, so perceive away.

Rather than take an absolute political position, the film finds the dark humour (Vancouver spelling) in both sides.

There is more of a tale here, with a secondary story, which complicates things a bit, and adds questions to the mix.

As a film, it's okay, with Betty Gilpin in the lead, playing the wrong woman to tangle with. It's bloody. It's violent to the core. Most critics hated it.

In the end, I found it loudly entertaining, especially at a moment when I needed some serious distraction.

It was apparently shot with a Sony CineAtla, and imagery is fine. Audio is fx laden, and presented in DTS-HD MA 7.1.

It was shot in and around New Orleans, for Arkansas or Croatia (or one of those countries), and presumably with at least a few shots in Vancouver. All films have some shots captured in Vancouver.

One of the elements that distracted me in this film was Emma Roberts makeup, which per the storyline should have been a mess. It was beautifully rendered, and perfect. No matter, as she's in the film for about twelve seconds.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS_HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended (depends upon one's willingness to accept violence, and possible also upon one's politics)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks