What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
did he say that there was something wrong with the 5.1 track?
Yes, he did.

"The DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 track on the DVD was INTENSE! The bass would bring most subs to their knees like Blade Runner 2049 or Inception. Too bad they didn't base the Blu-ray track off that."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm thinking that the new Netflix Haunting of Bly House is to Jack Clayton's The Innocents as this Haunting remake is to Wise's version. Shifted emphasis to all the wrong things.
Except that The Haunting of Bly Manor is based on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. Apples and pomegranates, my good fellow.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I STILL, to this day, pull out my DTS-ES Signature Selection DVD of this title for Halloween viewing and when I'm in the mood to shake the house to the foundations. Remains a KILLER track that is bested, maybe, only by the DTS mix on Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

At any rate, I don't see a need to upgrade the already decent anamorphic DreamWorks DVD with the DTS mix.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Except that The Haunting of Bly Manor is based on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. Apples and pomegranates, my good fellow.

Same same. The thing about Clayton's movie is that Truman Capote's script added a very sophisticated layer of ambiguity. The plot isn't what is really happening. There is something going on under the surface that is just referred to obliquely in whispers. You never know if what you are seeing is real or a delusion. And the visuals are jam packed with symbolism, hinting at what is going on beneath. Add to that Freddie Francis's brilliant widescreen cinematography which gets progressively more and more distorted as the story unfolds, and Clayton's brilliant direction of the child actors... and it all adds up to one of the greatest ghost movies ever made. I'm only two eps into the Netflix series, but so far it is following the plot of The Innocents, which is the least important part of the movie. It has none of the subtext, symbolism or ambiguity and the photography and sets aren't anywhere near the level of Clayton's film. I think The Innocents is one of the most brilliantly directed films I've ever seen. Clayton is vastly underrated.

This is the same sort of thing with Wise's The Haunting and the Spielberg remake. The whole point of Wise's version wasn't to show ghosts or literally show the house coming to life. It was to show the essence of the house creeping inside the characters and absorbing them. The remake turned it into an FX vehicle instead of a psychological thriller. I thought that Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House did a better job of showing how the house twisted the characters from inside. (Even though it was a bit too long and too much like a soap opera at times.)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Same same. The thing about Clayton's movie is that Truman Capote's script added a very sophisticated layer of ambiguity. The plot isn't what is really happening. There is something going on under the surface that is just referred to obliquely in whispers. You never know if what you are seeing is real or a delusion. And the visuals are jam packed with symbolism, hinting at what is going on beneath. Add to that Freddie Francis's brilliant widescreen cinematography which gets progressively more and more distorted as the story unfolds, and Clayton's brilliant direction of the child actors... and it all adds up to one of the greatest ghost movies ever made. I'm only two eps into the Netflix series, but so far it is following the plot of The Innocents, which is the least important part of the movie. It has none of the subtext, symbolism or ambiguity and the photography and sets aren't anywhere near the level of Clayton's film.

This is the same sort of thing with Wise's The Haunting and the Spielberg remake. The whole point of Wise's version wasn't to show ghosts or literally show the house coming to life. It was to show the essence of the house creeping inside the characters and absorbing them. The remake turned it into an FX vehicle instead of a psychological thriller. I thought that Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House did a better job of showing how the house twisted the characters from inside. (Even though it was a bit too long and too much like a soap opera at times.)
Spielberg didn't do the remake of The Haunting; it was Jan de Bont -- unless you weren't referring to that film.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Spielberg produced it. And it has his fingers all over it.
I thought you were referring strictly to the director because you said "Spielberg's remake"; normally, that suggests someone is specifically talking about the head filmmaker.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
While Spielberg was an uncredited executive producer, his fingerprints are not "all over" it. If they had been, it would have been a much better film rather than the abomination that it is.

Oh I dunno about that. I think The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Crystal Skull & War Of The Worlds are abominations (& a few other Spielberg's that I can't think of right now). I just don't get the hate, it's a fun haunted house (or in this case haunted mansion) film, that you either like or don't like.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oh I dunno about that. I think The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Crystal Skull & War Of The Worlds are abominations (& a few other Spielberg's that I can't think of right now). I just don't get the hate, it's a fun haunted house (or in this case haunted mansion) film, that you either like or don't like.

The Lost World is mediocre, Crystal Skull is crap, War Of The Worlds is terrific. :D The Haunting (1999) was universally panned by all the major critics and it has a 15% Rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the film was nominated for five Razzie awards. But hey, if you think it's "fun", I'm not going to judge you. I'm gaga over Song Of Norway and Lost Horizon (1973). ;) As Norman Bates says, "We all go a little mad sometimes".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Lost World is mediocre, Crystal Skull is crap, War Of The Worlds is terrific. :D The Haunting (1999) was universally panned by all the major critics and it has a 15% Rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the film was nominated for five Razzie awards. But hey, if you think it's "fun", I'm not going to judge you. I'm gaga over Song Of Norway and Lost Horizon (1973). ;) As Norman Bates says, "We all go a little mad sometimes".

Back in 1997, I enjoyed "Lost World" a lot, and I still like it, but I admit I see the flaws more and more with each new viewing.

Still, it's better than "JP3"!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jeez, WOTW is a very good film that I love. To each his own, I guess. The other two aren’t great, but they ain’t crap either. IMHO.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I, too, cannot "feel" Spielberg's influence being all over The Haunting; watched my DVD copy last night and I shared that exact sentiment with my wife as the film went on. Now, something like Poltergeist? Oh, heck yes you can feel Spielberg's style all over that narrative...the camera shots, the playful "setup music" between scare sequences, et. al.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks