What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I cant even begin to list the number of excellent films I discovered thanks to Ebert. He is/was arguably the finest most influential film critic ever. Even John Q Public knew his name and when he gave a film a thumbs up. No other critic achieved his well deserved reputation. I didn’t always agree with him but I always respected his opinion.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here’s a Goonies question for fans.

I’ve been arguing with some “fans” that claim the deleted scenes , especially the Octopus scene, we’re inserted back into the film at some point and shown in theaters and on the Disney channel. I’ve never heard of this before and as far as I know, the theatrical cut is the only version ever released.

Anyone ever hear this before?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I’ve been arguing with some “fans” that claim the deleted scenes , especially the Octopus scene, we’re inserted back into the film at some point and shown in theaters and on the Disney channel. I’ve never heard of this before and as far as I know, the theatrical cut is the only version ever released.

My guess would be that they're misremembering it. Their memories are putting together seeing pictures of that scene and think they saw the scene in the movie. The same thing happened with the Biggs scenes in Star Wars which were in The Star Wars Storybook, the comic book adaptation and the radio drama. It's died out now but for years, people swore that they saw the movie with those scenes in the theater or on TV. I'd bet that the same is going on with The Goonies.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

My guess would be that they're misremembering it. Their memories are putting together seeing pictures of that scene and think they saw the scene in the movie. The same thing happened with the Biggs scenes in Star Wars which were in The Star Wars Storybook, the comic book adaptation and the radio drama. It's died out now but for years, people swore that they saw the movie with those scenes in the theater or on TV. I'd bet that the same is going on with The Goonies.
The Mandela effect at its finest. See also: "Shazam" starring Sinbad. :D

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Biggs was also in the Alan Dean Foster novelization of what is now called "A New Hope" ...

1599101625158.png

Roger Ebert literally wrote the book when it came to reviews of films that were out on video:D ...
1599101817141.png

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I found this Cinefantastique article talking about some scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor at Spielberg's orders.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Exactly what I’ve been telling them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

For years, I was convinced I'd seen the "cocoon" scene in "Alien".

I didn't, but I must've read about it and that influenced my memory.

When I found out circa 1992 or so that it'd never actually appeared in the film, I was shocked! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For years, I was convinced I'd seen the "cocoon" scene in "Alien".

I didn't, but I must've read about it and that influenced my memory.

When I found out circa 1992 or so that it'd never actually appeared in the film, I was shocked! :D
I think that's another scene that was in the novelization so you probably either read it there or read someone talking about it who read it in there. Personally, I like the scene but it doesn't need to be in the movie because she's trying to escape the ship and that scene stops that dead in its tracks.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
So you think he’s an awful critic because you didn’t agree with his opinions? Seriously? Not facts.. just another opinion.

You're being willfully obtuse and denying that THE THING s considered a classic today and that it's box office failure was due to critics like Ebert's very deep "it's the barf-bag movie of summer." Yeah, that's shitty criticism and fits with Rex Reed. Ebert's been objectively wrong at the start. He panned NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD because kids were in the audience.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
But helping a film isn't really a real critic's job, that's a shill's job though many 'critic's' are far more the latter than former.
Ebert was one of the first Real Man's critics I remember seeing and hearing -- he didn't automatically dismiss a film just because it wasn't Citizen Kane or designed to be High Art. Sometimes a fun film was just a fun film. Siskel always felt more like the stereotypical critic to me though he had his film types he just liked.

Ebert and esp the TV shows did a lot to popularized the Film Critic's job and introduced a lot of films to a lot of people my age. Films I would never have even heard of being (way) outside NYC, LA I got the first taste with Eberts introductions. Ebert to me told people it was more than OK to like Pee Wee Herman, 3 Stooges, Keaton, Chaplin, Marilyn Monroe, DeNiro, Kubrick, French, Swedish and Australian films.

Ebert told me most of my favorite 80's movies including THE EVIL DEAD (how do you miss the clever lo-fi filmmaking?) were bad but THE GOLDEN CHILD was awesome.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You're being willfully obtuse and denying that THE THING s considered a classic today and that it's box office failure was due to critics like Ebert's very deep "it's the barf-bag movie of summer." Yeah, that's shitty criticism and fits with Rex Reed. Ebert's been objectively wrong at the start. He panned NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD because kids were in the audience.
The box office failure of The Thing has been overstated - it made $20 million and cost around $15, so it probably broke even by the time video and television sales are factored in. I love the movie, but it was something that was never going to appeal to a mainstream audience. They tried it again with the prequel/remake and it still flopped.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So the answer to my question is yes. :rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ebert was good at providing enough information for you to decide if you will like the movie or not. I did not come close to always agreeing with him.
I can't tell you how many movies that Ebert or even Siskel didn't like that I decided to watch in a movie theater anyway and ended up liking it more than them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I can't tell you how many movies that Ebert or even Siskel didn't like that I decided to watch in a movie theater anyway and ended up liking it more than them.
Me too. Plenty. However that of course doesn’t make them bad critics. Differences of opinion does not imply anyone is right or wrong.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Me too. Plenty. However that of course doesn’t make them bad critics. Differences of opinion does not imply anyone is right or wrong.
I thought that was clear without having to say so. Does everything need to be literally spelled out in posts?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Regarding the Octupus deleted scene, it was seen in the Cyndi Lauper music video shown endlessly on MTV at the time which may have led some to believe it was in the film when it wasn’t.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that's another scene that was in the novelization so you probably either read it there or read someone talking about it who read it in there. Personally, I like the scene but it doesn't need to be in the movie because she's trying to escape the ship and that scene stops that dead in its tracks.

Yeah, I think I read the novelization of "Alien", so that fits. I was 12 then and liked novelizations when I was a kid!

But man, it was a shock when I found out the cocoon scene never appeared as part of the film! :oops: :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks