UHD Review A few words about…™ The Deer Hunter - in 4k UHD Blu-ray

PMF

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Philip
“The Deer Hunter“, IMHO, remains an impactful film and I look forward to seeing the visual advancements at hand. Definite purchase.

P.S. Curious to learn more about any improvements on the Oscar winning sound design; as heard on this newer transfer.

Last edited:

Dave H

Producer
Reaction score
I’d not be overly concerned, as the overall image quality in 4k is superior. The caveat is toward projection, which seems to take a back seat when HDR is graded.
I wonder if it just depends on the projector's tone mapping...or approach. I'm using the Panasonic 820 for tone mapping on my JVC (which has worked out rather well). People using MadVr or the Lumagen claim even better results.

Reactions: JoshZ and PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder if it just depends on the projector's tone mapping...or approach. I'm using the Panasonic 820 for tone mapping on my JVC (which has worked out rather well). People using MadVr or the Lumagen claim even better results.
I don‘t know models, but the past year JVC is far superior to Sony, especially JVC to JVC.

Reactions: Dave H and PMF

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Yeah it looks good by "Close Encounters standards" (which are pretty low owing to years of blurry smeary masters) but I wouldn't call it a demo disc by any stretch.
I thought your comment that VZ's films "do not lend themselves to 4K' implied they were better served on BD.

Not being a "demo disc" isn't the same as not being higher quality on BD...

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think the blame here could be Studio Canal, who seem to have a history of screwing up on mastering films for disc.

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think the blame here could be Studio Canal, who seem to have a history of screwing up on mastering films for disc.
I haven't seen the disc. Studio Canal's track record is spotty at best and I wouldn't put it past them to screw up another important title.

On the other hand, I know how difficult and problematic it is for most home theater projectors to tone map HDR correctly. Basically, the current generation JVCs are the only ones that do a decent job of it without external help such as a Lumagen processor or MadVR. If the 4K disc RAH watched looked fine on a flat panel but poor in projection, that suggests to me that the projector is at fault.

If it looked poor on both, then I'd be more inclined to blame the studio.

Reactions: Dave H

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I just sampled huge sequences of this 4K/Dolby Vision disc and for the most part I thought it looked very good. This movie was never good looking to begin with and I have noticed some "black" issues, but overall it's a significant improvement over my 2012 Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
I haven't seen the disc. Studio Canal's track record is spotty at best and I wouldn't put it past them to screw up another important title.

On the other hand, I know how difficult and problematic it is for most home theater projectors to tone map HDR correctly. Basically, the current generation JVCs are the only ones that do a decent job of it without external help such as a Lumagen processor or MadVR. If the 4K disc RAH watched looked fine on a flat panel but poor in projection, that suggests to me that the projector is at fault.

If it looked poor on both, then I'd be more inclined to blame the studio.
The film had sequences were too heavy on a Sony OLED, running Dolby Vison.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
The film had sequences were too heavy on a Sony OLED, running Dolby Vison.
Now, you got me confused which is relatively easy to do.:) Are you now saying this 4K disc looks horrible on your Sony OLED? If so, what exactly are your issues with it.

JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Now, you got me confused which is relatively easy to do.:) Are you now saying this 4K disc looks horrible on your Sony OLED? If so, what exactly are your issues with it.
Sounds like he's seeing black crush and loss of detail in shadows.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Sounds like he's seeing black crush and loss of detail in shadows.
I've seen some of that, but not to the extent that I regret buying this 4K disc as it looks significantly better than my old Blu-ray.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Proving my point once again that Vilmos Zsigmond's films do not lend themselves to 4k.
And probably one of many reasons why we don't have a 4K UHD release of Deliverance.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derpok