What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
“The Deer Hunter“, IMHO, remains an impactful film and I look forward to seeing the visual advancements at hand. Definite purchase.

P.S. Curious to learn more about any improvements on the Oscar winning sound design; as heard on this newer transfer.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I’d not be overly concerned, as the overall image quality in 4k is superior. The caveat is toward projection, which seems to take a back seat when HDR is graded.

I wonder if it just depends on the projector's tone mapping...or approach. I'm using the Panasonic 820 for tone mapping on my JVC (which has worked out rather well). People using MadVr or the Lumagen claim even better results.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder if it just depends on the projector's tone mapping...or approach. I'm using the Panasonic 820 for tone mapping on my JVC (which has worked out rather well). People using MadVr or the Lumagen claim even better results.

I don‘t know models, but the past year JVC is far superior to Sony, especially JVC to JVC.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it looks good by "Close Encounters standards" (which are pretty low owing to years of blurry smeary masters) but I wouldn't call it a demo disc by any stretch.

I thought your comment that VZ's films "do not lend themselves to 4K' implied they were better served on BD.

Not being a "demo disc" isn't the same as not being higher quality on BD...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think the blame here could be Studio Canal, who seem to have a history of screwing up on mastering films for disc.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think the blame here could be Studio Canal, who seem to have a history of screwing up on mastering films for disc.

I haven't seen the disc. Studio Canal's track record is spotty at best and I wouldn't put it past them to screw up another important title.

On the other hand, I know how difficult and problematic it is for most home theater projectors to tone map HDR correctly. Basically, the current generation JVCs are the only ones that do a decent job of it without external help such as a Lumagen processor or MadVR. If the 4K disc RAH watched looked fine on a flat panel but poor in projection, that suggests to me that the projector is at fault.

If it looked poor on both, then I'd be more inclined to blame the studio.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just received my 4K so I'm popping it into my Oppo 203 right now to sample it on my 55" LG OLED display.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just sampled huge sequences of this 4K/Dolby Vision disc and for the most part I thought it looked very good. This movie was never good looking to begin with and I have noticed some "black" issues, but overall it's a significant improvement over my 2012 Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I haven't seen the disc. Studio Canal's track record is spotty at best and I wouldn't put it past them to screw up another important title.

On the other hand, I know how difficult and problematic it is for most home theater projectors to tone map HDR correctly. Basically, the current generation JVCs are the only ones that do a decent job of it without external help such as a Lumagen processor or MadVR. If the 4K disc RAH watched looked fine on a flat panel but poor in projection, that suggests to me that the projector is at fault.

If it looked poor on both, then I'd be more inclined to blame the studio.

The film had sequences were too heavy on a Sony OLED, running Dolby Vison.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film had sequences were too heavy on a Sony OLED, running Dolby Vison.
Now, you got me confused which is relatively easy to do.:) Are you now saying this 4K disc looks horrible on your Sony OLED? If so, what exactly are your issues with it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Now, you got me confused which is relatively easy to do.:) Are you now saying this 4K disc looks horrible on your Sony OLED? If so, what exactly are your issues with it.

Sounds like he's seeing black crush and loss of detail in shadows.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

No. It has major problems in projection, but even on OLED HDR is pushed to far, crushing mid-range and shadow detail.

Some might ask a friend why they need 600 hp in their vehicle. The answer is generally because you cant get 625. I see a similar situation with HDR, which is sometimes lathered on too heavily, as if more is better.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
No. It has major problems in projection, but even on OLED HDR is pushed to far, crushing mid-range and shadow detail.

Some might ask a friend why they need 600 hp in their vehicle. The answer is generally because you cant get 625. I see a similar situation with HDR, which is sometimes lathered on too heavily, as if more is better.
Sounds like HDR is starting to get like DNR was for the early blu ray discs. Using way too much when it should be used when it’s essential.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like HDR is starting to get like DNR was for the early blu ray discs. Using way too much when it should be used when it’s essential.

In general, I think studios have pulled back from "crazy HDR" over time.

Seems like earlier 4Ks came with colors more "HDRed" than releases over the last year or so. HDR has appeared more tasteful to me as the format settles in.

Not a perfect rule, of course, and I can't comment on "Deer Hunter" as I've not seen the 4K - just a general observation...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks