What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Curse of the Werewolf – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For fans of lycanthropy, and who isn't a fan of lycanthropy, a film far more violent and in one's face than the Universal horror films of the past.

Based upon the novel The Werewolf of Paris by black-listed writer, Guy Endore, it became o
ne of the more
notorious Hammer Horrors, decimated by the UK censors at the time of its 1961 release.

Scream Factory gives us a new Blu-ray, which is not only a quite lovely representation of the film, but also undoes
the work of the censors.

Whether to restore trims and cut, or based upon later film damage, the new Blu has two slightly differing
qualities of image. The majority of the film, which notes tells us is derived from the OCN is the lovely portion,
while those possibly dealing with restored trims or damage or just slightly less lovely, with a slight drop in
overall quality, and increase in contrast, befitting dupes.

Never a problem.

Directed by Terrence Fisher, the go-to filmmaker for horror at Hammer, it's an interesting production, as
there really isn't a sign of the varmint for way into the film.

Beautiful color, presumably Eastman 5250, a very fine sheen of grain, nice gray scale, and an overall
very stable image.

A terrific Blu-ray.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray – Absolutely

Recommended

RAH

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thank you Mr. Harris. I was going to initially pass on this, as I have the Hammer-Universal multi-disc box set from a few years ago. Still, I've always loved this film, and after reading your "few words", and realizing this probably has censored material on it that the Universal-Hammer set doesn't have, and is also a lot better looking (most of the masters on the Hammer-Universal set appear to be made for the DVD) I'm ordering this.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Thank you Mr. Harris. I was going to initially pass on this, as I have the Hammer-Universal multi-disc box set from a few years ago. Still, I've always loved this film, and after reading your "few words", and realizing this probably has censored material on it that the Universal-Hammer set doesn't have, and is also a lot better looking (most of the masters on the Hammer-Universal set appear to be made for the DVD) I'm ordering this.

I don’t think there is any more censored material in the new Shout Factory version than in the Universal-8 Film Hammer Blu-ray set.
It does look better here on the Shout Factory Blu-ray and the framing for more head-room is a big improvement.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I don’t think there is any more censored material in the new Shout Factory version than in the Universal-8 Film Hammer Blu-ray set.
It does look better here on the Shout Factory Blu-ray and the framing for more head-room is a big improvement.
Thanks for the information! Guess I'll get it anyway, since I was three-quarters over the fence to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks