1600152368041.png

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Haven't we all.

And these issues seems to happen repeatedly, even pre-pandemic, such as the fiasco with the 3D 'Return of the Creature' disc.
I remember there was some issue that kept the 3D from being the best it could be. It’s my recollection no correction was made.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I remember there was some issue that kept the 3D from being the best it could be. It’s my recollection no correction was made.

The first release of Revenge of the Creature had the 3-D version authored incorrectly in side-by-side mode instead of the Blu-ray 3D frame-packed standard.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Having just read the "reviews" of this set on the other site, I just have to scratch the old cranium, I really do. For Psycho, no mention of the wrong mono track. For Vertigo, no mention of the mono track at all. For The Birds, he calls out several shots of Ms. Hedren that he deems not of the same sharpness as other shots - I'm pretty sure the two shots he calls out were shot with a diffusion filter - you know, the glamor filter used in hundreds of films. But it's the transfer's fault somehow. AND, twice he feels it necessary to tell everyone that both discs in question exhibited pixelation. Then he explains that after he cleaned off his fingerprints from the disc, they played fine. :) I should know better.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Having just read the "reviews" of this set on the other site, I just have to scratch the old cranium, I really do. For Psycho, no mention of the wrong mono track. For Vertigo, no mention of the mono track at all. For The Birds, he calls out several shots of Ms. Hedren that he deems not of the same sharpness as other shots - I'm pretty sure the two shots he calls out were shot with a diffusion filter - you know, the glamor filter used in hundreds of films. But it's the transfer's fault somehow. AND, twice he feels it necessary to tell everyone that both discs in question exhibited pixelation. Then he explains that after he cleaned off his fingerprints from the disc, they played fine. :) I should know better.
Never mind, you know that a nitwit is trying to be a film critic, when a film that topped the last Sight & Sound poll list for the greatest film of all time, doesn't even rate a five out of five.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I am not surprised as for myself I found his reviews to be the least helpful on that site, hard to forget that glowing review of the first Patton Blu-ray.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Is the DTS -X TRACK on PSYCHO 4k really that inferior to the original mono? I’m still waiting on my set from South Korea and I have never heard the original mono

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Swedish/Nordic packaging if anyone is interested. The UK Masterpiece Collection as a size comparison. The physical discs seem identical to the UK ones previously posted.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Never mind, you know that a nitwit is trying to be a film critic, when a film that topped the last Sight & Sound poll list for the greatest film of all time, doesn't even rate a five out of five...
To each his own. I think Rear Window and Psycho are better films than Vertigo. Within a span of thirty years, I think Vertigo went from being seriously underrated to seriously overrated.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To each his own. I think Rear Window and Psycho are better films than Vertigo. Within a span of thirty years, I think Vertigo went from being seriously underrated to seriously overrated.
I guess it depends on how liberal your use of the 5 star rating is. I like Rear Window and Psycho more than Vertigo but I'd still say that Vertigo is a 5 star movie.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Is the DTS -X TRACK on PSYCHO 4k really that inferior to the original mono? I’m still waiting on my set from South Korea and I have never heard the original mono

It's very similar to the 5.1 that was on the previous Blu-ray release. The stereoized music sounds pretty decent, but the added/replaced sound effects just stick out to me: incongruous with the look and tone of the film.

Where have you watched the movie before? The remix didn't exist until 2010.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Can't say that I even have the need to rank them in that way but I will say that Vertigo certainly looks better than the other two.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Do note that an email response from this supplied link may take up to 24 hours; but, yes, I can further attest that this one is, indeed, the bullseye.

My thanks to Robert Harris.

I used that link this morning and received an automated reply a short while ago. Presumably that puts me on the list for the replacement when they're ready.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks