AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
The 2010 blu ray lists "Remastering Psycho HD" as a special feature. It's not actually on the disc though. Does anyone know how it can be seen?

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
So are the included blu-rays new, or did they just bundle the old discs? I'm assuming at least Psycho is new, as that has a stand-alone blu release.
You are correct. Psyco is the new 4k transfer. The other three according to dvdbeaver review are the exact same old blu rays. It is doubtful i will ever view any of the blu rays on my lg 77" or lg 65" oled tvs. So far in my 4k collection i have never played any of the included blu rays. To me it is the same deal as when they included dvds in with blu rays a while back as they were never played. I am assuming people who ask about the standard blu rays have not made the step up to 4k players and tvs yet.

I take this back as i have watched extras from the blu rays but never watched any movie on blu ray when i had the 4k blu ray.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My Vertigo 4K disc in this set freezes up in minute 49. Anyone else have this problem? (Movie looks terrific.)
Didn't have that issue. It's probably related to problems removing the discs from those tight sleeves.

When I watched "Psycho", it wouldn't play at first because I'd left finger smudges on the disc. I wiped it and it worked fine.

If you've not tried to wipe your "Vertigo" 4K, do that.

If that doesn't work, it's possible the removal scratched the disc enough to make it glitch.

Not your fault - it really can be a pain to get these out of the sleeves! :huh:

Reactions: Mike2001

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I looked at it pretty carefully. No obvious smudges/scratches. I’ll try cleaning it and see if it makes a difference.
I don't have this set (yet), but FWIW, I usually look for such issues w/ a substantial, single point light source (like my FP) in the dimmed/dark room to better see them. I (quickly) do this every time for 4K disc playback since they seem very susceptible to such, and haven't had any playback issues after doing that (and ensuring no scratches or smudges, fingerprints, etc visible this way) -- and I use a Sony X700 that gets at least its fair share of user complaints.

_Man_

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Nothing to add other than I had forgotten how absolutely disturbing Scotty's decline is during the final act of Vertigo.

Loved every uncomfortable moment of it! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As more classics and now Hitchcock is coming out as 4K, I’m looking forward to upgrading my display so I can finally see 4K! I’m especially interested in how Vertigo looks.

I’ll likely pick this set up now anyway and enjoy in 1080p. But from what I’m reading, the only standard blu ray disc in this set that is new is Psycho. Which I will guess has the same restored cut scenes on the blu ray too? ( mono sound track notwithstanding. )

I hope a 4K upgrade happens to North By Northwest and more of Hitchcock’s catalog.

Reactions: Osato

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As more classics and now Hitchcock is coming out as 4K, I’m looking forward to upgrading my display so I can finally see 4K! I’m especially interested in how Vertigo looks.

I’ll likely pick this set up now anyway and enjoy in 1080p. But from what I’m reading, the only standard blu ray disc in this set that is new is Psycho. Which I will guess has the same restored cut scenes on the blu ray too? ( mono sound track notwithstanding. )

I hope a 4K upgrade happens to North By Northwest and more of Hitchcock’s catalog.
If it’s within your budget, you might consider adding a 4k player - possibly the base Panasonic - and running your 4k discs in HD.

Reactions: Osato and B-ROLL

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Harris and Nick. I actually do have an Oppo 4K player. I keep forgetting I can play the discs. But I didn’t think I could really see the improvements. :biggrin:

Reactions: Osato

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Harris and Nick. I actually do have an Oppo 4K player. I keep forgetting I can play the discs. But I didn’t think I could really see the improvements. :biggrin:
I had to play with the HDR-SDR conversion settings on my Panasonic to get it to look right. The default setting resulted in an overly dark image that looked worse than blu-ray.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I had to play with the HDR-SDR conversion settings on my Panasonic to get it to look right. The default setting resulted in an overly dark image that looked worse than blu-ray.
Yep. Once you have the conversion working well, the downconverted image can often look modestly better than the BD, especially if the BD's from an old, middling-or-worse master. I notice a slight improvement (on a large projected image) even compared to reference quality BDs like Braveheart.

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmiliaHadson