Dave MJ

Second Unit
Much Ado About Little! Get a Life people. It's a really good disc. AND obscene language not appreciated by this member.
It's the sonic equivalent of only including the colorized version of a film. It IS a big deal, especially for one of the most iconic soundtracks of all time. Telling film buffs to "get a life" for wanting to hear Hitchcock's version of the soundtrack (as advertised) is not appreciated by this member.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's the sonic equivalent of only including the colorized version of a film. It IS a big deal, especially for one of the most iconic soundtracks of all time. Telling film buffs to "get a life" for wanting to hear Hitchcock's version of the soundtrack (as advertised) is not appreciated by this member.
Apropos of nothing, I did see this in the "Family" section of Wal*Mart for $12.96 in store ...
1599813016684.png

Based upon the back cover, it appears to be a stand-alone release of the blu-ray in the 4K set...

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So are the included blu-rays new, or did they just bundle the old discs? I'm assuming at least Psycho is new, as that has a stand-alone blu release.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Poor packaging [...]
Well, look at it this way; Universal has fool-proofed the safe and re-unforced arrival of our discs, where Amazon’s shipment reputation of delivering loose items leaves off. ;)

Meanwhile, I’m eagerly looking forward to viewing the larger of good and excellence to be discovered within this 4K/UHD set; as I am now confident that Universal will eventually work out the rest.:thumbs-up-smiley:

P.S. Here’s to hoping that Keith Cobby and many others will get to see a 4K/UHD stand-alone of all their desired and separate titles.:)

Last edited:

Burns581

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
What elements were used for Psycho and The Birds transfers? OCN or finegrain/IP? (with the exception of The Birds opticals, of course)

Mr. Harris, you wrote in 2012 that the Vertigo Bluray could have been made perfect at that time. Has this been finally achieved with the UHD, or are there still some issues? (beyond unfixable things like the dupe footage in Judy's flashback scene). When you wrote that its VistaVision foundation was "reasonably obvious," did you mean that the disc could have been a touch sharper? Just curious. I bought it regardless!

Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, look at it this way; Universal has fool-proofed the safe and re-unforced arrival of our discs, where Amazon’s shipment reputation of delivering loose items leaves off. ;)

Looking forward to viewing the overall larger of good within this 4K/UHD set; as I am now confident that Universal will eventually work out the rest.:thumbs-up-smiley:
I usually have mixed feelings about this type of packaging. I do like the way they look brand new, but things don't stay brand new for too long, especially when one has 3 kids regularly rummaging thru the collection (and misplacing or even yucking up stuff :rolleyes: )... although I suppose many HTFers might be ecstatic to have kids fall in love w/ Hitchcock, et al and join the next gen of enthusiasts, haha...

I suppose I could just get empty cases for these discs and put this packaging aside just for show... somewhere in the (much anticipated) new HT room, where I'll also finally pull out all the remaining LD covers I saved for decoration... :lol:

_Man_

Reactions: DavidJ and PMF

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I usually have mixed feelings about this type of packaging. I do like the way they look brand new, but things don't stay brand new for too long, especially when one has 3 kids regularly rummaging thru the collection (and misplacing or even yucking up stuff :rolleyes: )... although I suppose many HTFers might be ecstatic to have kids fall in love w/ Hitchcock, et al and join the next gen of enthusiasts, haha...

I suppose I could just get empty cases for these discs and put this packaging aside just for show... somewhere in the (much anticipated) new HT room, where I'll also finally pull out all the remaining LD covers I saved for decoration... :lol:

_Man_
To make it worse, what would those little hands do to discs that are difficult to remove from the sleeves.?

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
To make it worse, what would those little hands do to discs that are difficult to remove from the sleeves.?
Fortunately, they don't have "little hands" anymore as the youngest already turned 13, but OTOH, none of them has inherited my collector's (mildly OCD :lol: ) mindset, so... And one woulda thought many years of private violin lessons and such would train them to be more careful w/ stuff, but alas... :rolleyes: Probably shoulda gone w/ an old school, whip-cracking, Russian violin teacher... or maybe Roberta Gaspari(!), who barked at my youngest's teacher at Central Park East (back during the late 80's), instead of Suzuki... :lol:

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What elements were used for Psycho and The Birds transfers? OCN or finegrain/IP? (with the exception of The Birds opticals, of course)

Mr. Harris, you wrote in 2012 that the Vertigo Bluray could have been made perfect at that time. Has this been finally achieved with the UHD, or are there still some issues? (beyond unfixable things like the dupe footage in Judy's flashback scene). When you wrote that its VistaVision foundation was "reasonably obvious," did you mean that the disc could have been a touch sharper? Just curious. I bought it regardless!
VVLA is a wonderful holding mechanism. Vertigo looks gorgeous. One Very minor issue for me, that will be noted by no one.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Maybe this will clear things up. Until these two new releases (the 4K and the 60th anniversary Blu-ray) every single video release of "Psycho" has had the original mono.
You know, I may be thinking of Vertigo in that set not having the original mono and the UK having it? So, why did I buy the UK steelbook of Psycho, then? There must have been a reason since I don't care about steelbooks and I already had the US set?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think we sussed out a couple pages ago that the UK release had lossless mono while the other release had lossy mono.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You know, I may be thinking of Vertigo in that set not having the original mono and the UK having it? So, why did I buy the UK steelbook of Psycho, then? There must have been a reason since I don't care about steelbooks and I already had the US set?
Since you have the UK steelbook (and it sold out somewhat quickly IIRC), maybe you actually bought that before the US version was even released?

The UK versions apparently actually came out a couple months before the US (both standalone and the masterpiece collection boxset).

The only other somewhat notable diffs w/ the UK steelbook are the inclusions of the short film Lambs to the Slaughter (in SD) and the insert booklet.

_Man_

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Is that the steelbook with a close up of Marion Crane’s blood going down a debossed drain? Maybe that’s why?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think it was the other way around - the UK Vertigo was missing the mono track and the US had it. It bugged me enough that I bought the US stand-alone disc, despite already having the UK set.

Reactions: plektret and PMF

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16