What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not sure this is quite accurate. My memory is it was not in the Masterpiece set, which is why I bought the UK Blu-ray back then, which definitely had it. I do think they included the original mono mix when the standalone Blu of Psycho was released after the box set.

Hmmm, you could be right. I have the one from the Masterpiece set and it does have something that’s labeled as mono on it. I haven’t checked since this thread to see if it’s a real mono or a fold down.

I don't recall (all) the exact details now, but I also opted to import the UK edition instead of American standalone version back in 2010(?). A quick check only indicates that the American version came w/ lossy DTS mono instead of lossless DTS-HD MA mono as being the diff -- and IIRC, that was likely a significant enough issue for some of us at the time.

_Man_

Reactions: PMF

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So the UK Psycho is the correct mono. Who decides what goes on a disc when it’s released non-domestically? Is someone in the UK insisting that Universal send them the right stuff, or...?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So the UK Psycho is the correct mono. Who decides what goes on a disc when it’s released non-domestically? Is someone in the UK insisting that Universal send them the right stuff, or...?

I think it's very important to be clear that we're speaking about the UK Blu-ray that came out about nine years ago - that has the correct mono track. I'm pretty certain the Masterpiece collection of 2010 did not, which is why I bought the UK. Whether they fixed that problem or not when the US standalone Blu came out nine years ago I do not know but since everyone knows what the differences are it should be easy to check. The German uncut Blu in the big Psycho box also has the correct mono track.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think it's very important to be clear that we're speaking about the UK Blu-ray that came out about nine years ago - that has the correct mono track. I'm pretty certain the Masterpiece collection of 2010 did not, which is why I bought the UK. Whether they fixed that problem or not when the US standalone Blu came out nine years ago I do not know but since everyone knows what the differences are it should be easy to check. The German uncut Blu in the big Psycho box also has the correct mono track.
I think it’s been stated there’s a UK 4K disc that is correct.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Since I already have the 50th Anniversary blu ray I’ll wait it out to see if Universal makes a statement about the new release.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't recall (all) the exact details now, but I also opted to import the UK edition instead of American standalone version back in 2010(?). A quick check only indicates that the American version came w/ lossy DTS mono instead of lossless DTS-HD MA mono as being the diff -- and IIRC, that was likely a significant enough issue for some of us at the time.

_Man_

Ok, decided to do a search here...

Apparently, there was also one additional extra feature on the (old) UK version BD.

_Man_

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Much Ado About Little! Get a Life people. It's a really good disc. AND obscene language not appreciated by this member.
Well, now, I have to disagree with you on two items:

a) This IS our life....and proudly so.
b) There is nothing “little” about the accuracy or inclusion of a classic and masterful sound design.

Talk about going mono a mono, mate.:chatter:

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Much Ado About Little! Get a Life people. It's a really good disc.
I've felt this way many times with the things that people complain about here but when the original soundtrack isn't included (and is supposed to be), I can't see calling it a really good disc. It may look great but there's more to the disc than just the picture.

It'd even be one thing if they had left the mono track off the disc entirely but they made sure to include a mono track yet it's not the original audio. Now we can lawyer it out and say that there is technically a monophonic soundtrack on there but when they advertise that the mono is on there, the implication is clearly that it's the original soundtrack and not the 5.1 mix just coming out of one speaker.

All that being said, I'm not screaming to boycott or storm the gates of Universal because I think this was an honest mistake on their part and I hope that they correct their error by issuing a replacement disc with the original audio.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I could be wrong

_Man_

I believe that's the only difference.

My understanding back then was that all the early BDs of Psycho contained the original mono, the only thing special about the 2010 UK disc (audio-wise) was that the original mono track was lossless. (That UK disc also had an AH Presents episode thrown in too, as I remember.)

I don't recall anyone saying the other BDs had a mixdown, just that their mono was lossy.

I have the 2010 US standalone Psycho disc and the 2012 Masterpiece collection. I believe the Psycho disc in the Masterpiece collection is identical to the 2010, both with the original mono track, as far as I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks