What's new

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Amazon currently has a $10.66 coupon for this set bringing the cost down to $39 and change. At that price I bought it.

I just bough a copy earlier in the week from Best Buy for $49.xx. And I don't have to deal with Amazon, or worry about it being damaged from them shipping it in a flimsy bag.:)

Did a chapter-skip check on the discs to look for glitches till I find time to watch them all. They all look great.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I hope that those who are still interested in this Hitchcock 4K/UHD set are not being detoured by an honest mistake that’s now being rectified.

Yes, those non-replies to emails are certainly a baffling and major irritant; but thanks to our updating each other upon this thread we now know that progresses are currently underway.

It’s a great set, and the initial work performed on these transfers are not to be missed. 3 titles can immediately be enjoyed. As for “Psycho”, the controversies have been addressed, answered and now only require our patience; along with a single proof-of-purchase email.

Universal has produced many wonderful works for our 2020 year of 4K/UHD consumption, and I am more than confident that the “Psycho” outcome of quality and expectations will be fulfilled and uniformed to all of the other discs that have already been enjoyed.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I hope that those who are still interested in this Hitchcock 4K/UHD set are not being detoured by an honest mistake that’s now being rectified.

Actually, they *attempted* to rectify it, and screwed up. Again. AFAIK, there isn't a single person who requested a replacement Psycho 4K disc that received one with the correct original mono track. They were all sent the same defective disc. And that's where it stands today. We're all still waiting.

I'm not saying that people should avoid the set because if this, but technically everyone affected is still in limbo. Some of us more than others.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Actually, they *attempted* to rectify it, and screwed up. Again. AFAIK, there isn't a single person who requested a replacement Psycho 4K disc that received one with the correct original mono track. They were all sent the same defective disc. And that's where it stands today. We're all still waiting.

I'm not saying that people should avoid the set because if this, but technically we're all still in limbo. Some of us more than others.
You are absolutely correct. As a matter of fact, I never even received my first round of “corrected” discs. Your own experience with this first round - inclusive of the loose mailer envelope - was one that heightened my own frustrations. But since that time, Universal has publicly acknowledged that second mess, as well.

I am confident about Universal’s letter; and trust that their newer workload will require some time. So, unless another unlikely problem arises, we can now look forward to a better chapter.

Last edited:

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
So is the only problem with the collection is there is no original mono track with Psycho?
Is this really that bad, whats so wrong with the 5.1?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So is the only problem with the collection is there is no original mono track with Psycho?
Most likely nothing that most casual viewers would ever notice or really care about, but the original mono was promised by Universal and many fans were hoping to get it on this release. That has not happened (so far).

I'm not an expert on this film, but it's my understanding that the 5.1 mix was "enhanced" with sounds that were not part of the original mix approved by Hitchcock. This mix was the basis of the included "mono" mix on the current disc, so this is not the "original mono".

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, with 429 posts, you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

In short, though, the mono is considered a better sound design; and, historically, places our lessons in cinematic education at the origins of “Psycho” and its initial impact.

I can not, by any means, speak for Bruce Kimmel; but his campaigns for exactitude appears to me as that of a protective purist who knows a goodly thing or two about the historical importance of music, soundtracks and their inherent designs. Mr. Kimmel has a magnificent ear and I have walked away from his HTF postings further educated and; in this instance of “Psycho”; all the more eager in my experiencing its original sound design, for the very first time.

But, if mono versus 5.1 is of no consequence, then no reservations are required; and all are free to be seated and served.

In the end, no matter how you cut it, one can not obtain a copy of the corrected disc until one has purchased the product. So, here is my take; get the set, enjoy “Vertigo”, “Rear Window” and “The Birds” without any further delays, whilst beginning the requesting processes of “Psycho” and it’s disc replacement program.

After all, sooner is always better than later.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I have not heard back from my request for replacement blu-ray disk. Has anyone who bought the blu-ray gotten a replacement disk?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have not heard back from my request for replacement blu-ray disk. Has anyone who bought the blu-ray gotten a replacement disk?

Universal repressed a disc which did not solve the problem and sent out several copies before they became aware of their mistake.

No one has actually received a truly corrected disc yet. They do not yet exist.

Stephen Buccleugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen
I got a replacement disc 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was amazed at the quick response, only to realize as I listened that there was no fix for the original mono. They sent out discs identical to the ones in the set. Still waiting on a real replacement disc.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I am normally a purist, I'm happy to wait for the uncorrected disc a fellow Forum member has been kind enough to send out to me here in Australia. Hasn't arrived yet but that's Covid for you. I doubt if this disc is going to be seen in Australia in the foreseeable future, so I'll listen to the 5.1 version quite happily and try to ignore faucet squeaks etc.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I feel I shouldn't be saying this ,but, hell, I like the 5.1 track.!!!!!
Sure it is not" authentic" but it's a great way to enjoy Herrmann's incredible score.
Overall, this is a great set.
I only wish we had more of them!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I feel I shouldn't be saying this ,but, hell, I like the 5.1 track.!!!!!
Sure it is not" authentic" but it's a great way to enjoy Herrmann's incredible score.
I almost always listen to the original mix but out of curiosity, I listened to the 5.1 mix on Psycho. It's not bad (the score being the highlight to my ears as well) but the changed sound effects stick out too much to me so I'll keep listening to the mono once the corrected discs come out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks