Paul Bosquet

Agent
Real Name
Paul
No playback issue with Vertigo on my Panasonic 820. Packaging of the discs is terrible. I like the graphics of the folders, but impossible to take a disc out without getting fingerprints on the discs.

No issue with requesting the replacement Psycho disc.

Reactions: Osato

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Check your spam filter. The response is not from Universal but rather a third party that has been contracted to handle to logistics of the replacement.

Response came from
[email protected]
I don't use a spam filter on the account I'm writing from. I've sent it again - we'll see but it's very disheartening - if I need to I will go directly to Universal about it - and that's the address I wrote to.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Anyone else remember a while back when Bay planned to do a remake of "The Birds"?

Dunno what happened there...
Not that I think it should be done, but if you're going to remake a Hitchcock film, The Birds makes the most sense, as it can take advantage of the improvements in special effects technology over the years. It certainly couldn't be any worse than a virtual shot for shot remake of Psycho.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My copy of the Hitchcock Classics collection arrived.

When I get a chance, I’ll try the 4K disc of Vertigo. I hope it plays OK on my Oppo. Vertigo to me is an event movie where I like to make the time and watch in one sitting. So it might be hard to just watch that section to check for the freezing.

And I’ll also make the request to Universal for the Psycho replacement with the following email address. [email protected]

Mark VH

Second Unit
Late to the party, but anyone know the time frame for when the "correct" Psycho disc would be on store shelves? Would the incorrect one have been pulled? I'd like to buy the standalone Blu-ray, but it seems to make sense to wait until all the wrong versions have been removed from circulation.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Late to the party, but anyone know the time frame for when the "correct" Psycho disc would be on store shelves? Would the incorrect one have been pulled? I'd like to buy the standalone Blu-ray, but it seems to make sense to wait until all the wrong versions have been removed from circulation.
It's hard to say, but there's a good chance they won't bother replacing the stock that's out there. It may be cheaper and easier for them to send replacement discs to those who ask for them, as most people who purchase disc won't know or care about the audio issue.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There has not been any recall that I know of, as the issue is likely not a problem with casual buyers, only cinephiles. I doubt they're going to go the extra mile of pulling back all the inventory that's already out there.

Most likely the only way to ensure you're getting the good disc is to buy what's out there, then ask for a replacement disc.

Mark VH

Second Unit
There has not been any recall that I know of, as the issue is likely not a problem with casual buyers, only cinephiles. I doubt they're going to go the extra mile of pulling back all the inventory that's already out there.

Most likely the only way to ensure you're getting the good disc is to buy what's out there, then ask for a replacement disc.
Makes sense. I'll do that. Thanks!

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
My copy of the Hitchcock Classics collection arrived.

When I get a chance, I’ll try the 4K disc of Vertigo. I hope it plays OK on my Oppo. Vertigo to me is an event movie where I like to make the time and watch in one sitting. So it might be hard to just watch that section to check for the freezing.

And I’ll also make the request to Universal for the Psycho replacement with the following email address. [email protected]
You may want to go through their website instead. That worked for me.
This link should work.

https://www.uphe.com/en/contact-support

Universal is on it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Robert, thanks a lot for the link to Universal! I’ll try that. Beside home address, did you have to provide proof of purchase, a receipt, the UPC code off the packaging or a photo of the box set as proof?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Robert, thanks a lot for the link to Universal! I’ll try that. Beside home address, did you have to provide proof of purchase, a receipt, the UPC code off the packaging or a photo of the box set as proof?
They require either a copy of your receipt/invoice showing the item, or pictures of the Psycho disc and packaging.

Joe S

Second Unit
Is there an obvious scene on the PSYCHO disc where the audio has been tampered with? I haven't had time to watch the whole thing, never mind compare it to a recording from TCM. This also applies to the HD Blu-Ray in the set as well as the UHD? Are they replacing both?

Reactions: AlanP

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
And I have not. Used the form, sent three e-mails, no response. I will have a "few words about" Universal if I don't get a replacement disc. I was one of the first to e-mail. Then two subsequent e-mails, all with all the information they asked for. I didn't even get the form response from the form.
I've submitted the online form twice (the first time back on 9/15) and, other than receiving the automated email restating my submission, I've had no response either.

Reactions: haineshisway

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Maybe everyone w/ that issue touched enough of the outer edge of the disc playback side -- given how the packaging works -- and that timecode vicinity just happens to be around the outer edge (on whichever disc layer)?

Of course, it could also be whatever smudge/dirt/substance that gets on a certain specific area of the disc whether due to the manufacturing process or the (tight) packaging itself (or both).

This kind of issue seems common enough w/ 4K discs (probably due to lower fault tolerance of the tech, especially w/ triple-layer, BD100 discs) although it may not have been quite as widespread w/ any specific title before...

_Man_
I was thinking the same thing. The packaging pretty much forces you to touch the disc, and for many of us, a cleaning on the disc eliminates the problem.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Isn't this Vertigo disc the same as the one in the original Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection (Blu ray reg. A), with the redone FX track that much more resembled the original Mono, rather than the original itself ?
Best that someone attempt to define the words "original mono."

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
globaltensiles