RickardL

Second Unit
Ok, question. My television is a Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 2008, 1080p. I have a fairly recent Panasonic player, capable of playing the 4K disks.

The Birds, looks brown and dark. The Birds blu-ray, looks better, on my television.

Is this a matter of my television, or is the new 4K edition just too dark?

Vertigo 4K also looks darker, but the actual color is fine, fleshtones look good, not brown.
I have the "DR Conversion Adjustment" setting to +3 or +4 on my Panasonic player when using my Samsung Plasma, try that if you haven't already.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Ok, question. My television is a Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 2008, 1080p. I have a fairly recent Panasonic player, capable of playing the 4K disks.

The Birds, looks brown and dark. The Birds blu-ray, looks better, on my television.

Is this a matter of my television, or is the new 4K edition just too dark?

Vertigo 4K also looks darker, but the actual color is fine, fleshtones look good, not brown.
If you have another blu-ray player, put in a disc that's from the same master as the 4K. Then find the Optimum HDR adjustment setting on the Panasonic 4K player and boost it until the picture matches the blu-ray. I had to set mine to +8.
IMG_0078.PNG

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Mine froze

Mine froze up at minute 49 as well. I cleaned it very carefully and it played without incident. I'm taking the blu rays out just in case.
Received a replacement set and it froze up again (VERTIGO 4K) at the same point (during first dialog scene between Novak and Stewart is his apartment). I cleaned the disc carefully but still froze, so I am returning both sets and wait a while before re-purchasing and try to reach somebody in home video.

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Received a replacement set and it froze up again (VERTIGO 4K) at the same point (during first dialog scene between Novak and Stewart is his apartment). I cleaned the disc carefully but still froze, so I am returning both sets and wait a while before re-purchasing and try to reach somebody in home video.
Yup. Same place mine froze up. I just got my replacement. We’ll see how that one does.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Except that it's happening with different people. Unless they have the same brand of player that has not been updated.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If two separate discs freeze up at the same point, it seems like an issue with the player. I'm assuming that 4K players have firmware updates so I'd look at that as the cause.
Unless the player is under one year old, there typically are no longer firmware updates.

Reactions: TravisR

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I have the South Korean UHD box set on route
be interesting to see if that freezes up

south Korean discs used to be pressed in Austria

now it seems they are using Taiwanese replicators

Grady

Grip
If two separate discs freeze up at the same point, it seems like an issue with the player. I'm assuming that 4K players have firmware updates so I'd look at that as the cause.
Mine is an Oppo 203 with the latest firmware.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, it definitely sounds like Oppo will have to put out a new firmware update to get the disc to work.
Entirely possible. This has been their support model in the past for a lot of the disc issues experienced by their players.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it definitely sounds like Oppo will have to put out a new firmware update to get the disc to work.
Thanks Travis for the suggestion, I checked my Oppo player and it does have the latest firmware.
I'm planning to wait a few months and then re-purchase.
Agree with everybody that VERTIGO does look and sound great.

Reactions: PMF and TravisR

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I pulled the trigger yesterday to buy the set. As Travis said above and was mentioned by others earlier, it’s a crapshoot as to when the new corrected sets will hit the market. So I’m dealing with it now.

I have an Oppo 205 too so I’ll have to see if Vertigo freezes. I hope not.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike