What's new

willyTass

Supporting Actor
It's very similar to the 5.1 that was on the previous Blu-ray release. The stereoized music sounds pretty decent, but the added/replaced sound effects just stick out to me: incongruous with the look and tone of the film.

Where have you watched the movie before? The remix didn't exist until 2010.

last time I saw it was the US Blu ray from about 10 years ago. The version with no grain

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Just got this back from Universal:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for letting us know your address. A replacement copy will be sent to you within 2-4 weeks.

We value your satisfaction with our products and hope that you will enjoy this and future Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
My Vertigo 4K disc in this set freezes up in minute 49. Anyone else have this problem? (Movie looks terrific.)
Yes I have too. I have arranged for a replacement set from Amazon, arriving tomorrow. I've applied for the replacement PSYCHO disc.
Picture quality on both PSYCHO and VERTIGO are excellent, not so much with THE BIRDS. Watching REAR WINDOW tomorrow.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I think that’s right. That all sounds very familiar
I could be wrong

I believe that's the only difference.

My understanding back then was that all the early BDs of Psycho contained the original mono, the only thing special about the 2010 UK disc (audio-wise) was that the original mono track was lossless. (That UK disc also had an AH Presents episode thrown in too, as I remember.)

I don't recall anyone saying the other BDs had a mixdown, just that their mono was lossy.

I have the 2010 US standalone Psycho disc and the 2012 Masterpiece collection. I believe the Psycho disc in the Masterpiece collection is identical to the 2010, both with the original mono track, as far as I remember.
The original 35mm magnetic master of PSYCHO is a 3-track mono (dialog, efx and music). This enables a little more flexibility by the mixers when making a 5.1. Usually the mixers ensure it is mono compatible (eg.nothing phase related). But then replacing the original correctly combined 3:1 mono track with the mixed down 5.1 it is no doubt going to sound different.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
But had you seen it before? If you ever watched before 2010, it would have had the original audio.
Prior to that only saw it on TV on a CRT. Never had the DVD or laserdisc . the 50th anniversary Blu ray was the first time I heard it on a quality audio system

i assume the original audio mix must be special givenUniversals pledge to offer it by replacement disc

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Prior to that only saw it on TV on a CRT. Never had the DVD or laserdisc . the 50th anniversary Blu ray was the first time I heard it on a quality audio system

i assume the original audio mix must be special givenUniversals pledge to offer it by replacement disc

I guess it's "special" in that it was how the film was always heard before 2010, and that it was supposed to be on the new discs, but was accidentally left off. So they're correcting it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
One complaint. Getting a disk out of the package without damaging it is really a pain.

planned obsolescence

noun
a method of stimulating consumer demand by designing products that wear out or become outmoded after limited use.
:cool:

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
One complaint. Getting a disk out of the package without damaging it is really a pain.
I sure didnt have any problems getting the 4k discs out of the package. First and this is important take ALL of the standard blu rays out of the box. It doesnt matter one damned bit if you damage them. At this point the 4ks are very loose in the sleeves and they easily come out (fall out). If your equipment hasnt upgraded to 4k and are concerned about the standard blu rays well then you could have saved alot of money and just bought the essential collection and even got north by northwest as a bonus.

Grady

Agent
I looked at it pretty carefully. No obvious smudges/scratches. I’ll try cleaning it and see if it makes a difference.
Mine froze
My Vertigo 4K disc in this set freezes up in minute 49. Anyone else have this problem? (Movie looks terrific.)
Mine froze up at minute 49 as well. I cleaned it very carefully and it played without incident. I'm taking the blu rays out just in case.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Did the restoration you did on VERTIGO come into play on this edition, or was it a completely new restoration?
My favorite film of all time
Jonathan-Burton-Vertigo-Movie-Poster-Variant-Mad-Duck-2016.jpg

Last edited:

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Never mind, you know that a nitwit is trying to be a film critic, when a film that topped the last Sight & Sound poll list for the greatest film of all time, doesn't even rate a five out of five.

This reminds me of reading reviews of the initial Universal Hitchcock DVD releases in Widescreen Review. In the review for Rope, the reviewer said that it appeared the print used for the transfer must have been damaged, because there were four or so cuts in the image instead of it being the single uninterrupted image Hitchcock had created. :rolleyes: At that point I realized the reviewer was not nearly as knowledgeable as he would have liked to think he was, since he was obviously unaware that he was seeing projection reel changes...

DeeF

Screenwriter
Ok, question. My television is a Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 2008, 1080p. I have a fairly recent Panasonic player, capable of playing the 4K disks.

The Birds, looks brown and dark. The Birds blu-ray, looks better, on my television.

Is this a matter of my television, or is the new 4K edition just too dark?

Vertigo 4K also looks darker, but the actual color is fine, fleshtones look good, not brown.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Star Wars UHD Box Set is harder to get the discs out of. I always have to wipe off a disc after removing one because I can't remove it without touching both sides.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ok, question. My television is a Pioneer Kuro Plasma from 2008, 1080p. I have a fairly recent Panasonic player, capable of playing the 4K disks.

The Birds, looks brown and dark. The Birds blu-ray, looks better, on my television.

Is this a matter of my television, or is the new 4K edition just too dark?

Vertigo 4K also looks darker, but the actual color is fine, fleshtones look good, not brown.
Sounds like a setup issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks