sbjork

Agent
Real Name
Stephen
I expect that every home theater projector manufacturer will eventually implement similar features using their own proprietary algorithms, but JVC got there way ahead of anyone else and basically blindsided all of their competition.
I loved my RS-2000 prior to JVC's firmware update, but I was absolutely gobsmacked after installing it. A complete game changer for the projection world that yes, all other manufacturers should follow. It still is not the set-and-forget ideal that RAH has wished for, but I rarely do much tweaking with it. I watched the UHD for Spartacus last weekend and it looked spectacular set to Auto, as most UHDs do. The only recent exceptions for me have been all of the new Star Wars UHDs, which needed the level set to High or else they simply looked too dark and flat, but any recent UHDs from Universal, Sony, or WB has looked their best at default settings.

Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tell you what, atcolomb, I will purchase a 4K/UHD of Spartacus and donate it to your library; if you can send me a PC with their exact address.

THIS Spartacus must be seen and shared with as many people as possible. It’s a true beauty.:thumbs-up-smiley:
Hmmm... maybe we should consider promoting such donations to libraries in general. Wonder if there could be enough to help meaningfully promote/bolster the 4K disc format/market... Ok, most likely not, but it'd be a nice wishful thought if it helps at all...

Wonder if the studios have ever considered something like that themselves...

_Man_

Reactions: PMF

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Looks like a good week to add to my movie collection. Today i will get the 4k discs of Spartacus and Flash Gordon and later this week the Blu-ray edition of Wake Island.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
You lucky bugger as we say Down Under!!!!
I'm still waiting for Spartacus which as not been released here and goodness knows when it will get here.
Mask of Zoro and Last Valley are still missing in action now for nearly 3 months.
Flash Gordon is due for release here shortly so that may help me keep my sanity.
This pandemic has much to answer for!!!

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
You lucky bugger as we say Down Under!!!!
I'm still waiting for Spartacus which as not been released here and goodness knows when it will get here.
Mask of Zoro and Last Valley are still missing in action now for nearly 3 months.
Flash Gordon is due for release here shortly so that may help me keep my sanity.
This pandemic has much to answer for!!!
Remember UHD's are Region Free so you can order from elsewhere if it hasn't been released where you are.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Well Spart arrived yesterday and it was certainly worth the waiting pain!
Stunning transfer and if you are on the fence about a purchase,JUMP!!
You won't regret it.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Well Spart arrived yesterday and it was certainly worth the waiting pain!
Stunning transfer and if you are on the fence about a purchase,JUMP!!
You won't regret it.

I also took the plunge just to hear the Alex North score in the best rendering it will ever get on home theater. Since I am not 4k uhd ready I tested the first few minutes of the film on my trusted Pioneer Elite Kuro 60 inch set through my Panasonic UHD 9000. As expected the image was too
dark.

Reactions: usrunnr

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I too use a kuro. The Panasonic 9000 has a multitude of settings to make Spartacus look perfect on a plasma

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Thanks... I wouldn’t know where to start but I’ll investigate.
when i get home tonight ill post which ones

EDIT : in remote press “picture settings “ then select Optimum HDR Adjustment

then select DR (dynamic range ) Conversion Adjustment

default is zero

if Spartacus UHD appears to dark , as it may with a low NITS tech like plasma , go to +2 to +4

then Spartacus will be “less dark” on a plasma

Last edited:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Thanks, this is very interesting - practically no cropping at the bottom, very little on the left, more on the right and the most at the top.
Would this usually be adjusted for different shots or kept fairly constant?

Wouldn't the cropping decisions be shot dependant?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
when i get home tonight ill post which ones

EDIT : in remote press “picture settings “ then select Optimum HDR Adjustment

then select DR (dynamic range ) Conversion Adjustment

default is zero

if Spartacus UHD appears to dark , as it may with a low NITS tech like plasma , go to +2 to +4

then Spartacus will be “less dark” on a plasma

Made the adjustments and wow is all I can say. I don/t recall Spartacus ever looking like this(more like the blu ray) but the colors popped as never before and the image vastly improved over the blu ray.

Many thanks for your help!!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16