Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
if you lived near where i am, you can, i dunno where they got the print but it's a frequent visitor at my local 70mm festival (back pre-pandemic of course). they hold one every year:
Existing prints will continue to get shown at festivals and special screenings for as long as they're playable, but I doubt we'll see studios striking any new prints from here on in.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Thanks for the advice. All the Panasonics are full width so I'm hoping Sony will introduce a half width player with remaining bugs ironed out.

Another point I should mention, I'm not sure my vision is good enough for 4K, my ability to focus varies from morning to night etc.

To realize the benefit of 4K it appears that both the player choice and my vision need assessing before investing in 4K. Good to know.
The UB 420 is only 12 inches wide and is a bargain-and no I don't have shares on Panasonic.!!!

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Reactions: usrunnr

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
You are correct on both accounts. I actually much prefer the 2K release and not for the first time when comparing 2K to 4K. especially on older film releases.

I don't yet have the New 4k uhd disc. That said the comparison on Beaver leads me to believe that the last blu ray release has truer colors and the new disc is way too dark.

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The UB 420 is only 12 inches wide and is a bargain-and no I don't have shares on Panasonic.!!!
Thanks for the correction, I was going by pictures online. Is the lack of Dolby Vision on the UB420 a big deal? My casual impression is that more discs are coming out with Dolby. Or is it a case that all future discs will have HDR10 (as a minimum), so you're future proofed with the UB420?

I know we're going off topic but I believe Spartacus will attract AV enthusiasts (like me) that have been on the fence about UHD.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the correction, I was going by pictures online. Is the lack of Dolby Vision on the UB420 a big deal? My casual impression is that more discs are coming out with Dolby. Or is it a case that all future discs will have HDR10 (as a minimum), so you're future proofed with the UB420?

I know we're going off topic but I believe Spartacus will attract AV enthusiasts (like me) that have been on the fence about UHD.
The lack of DV is a big deal. All have HDR10, but you’re NOT future-proofed without DV.

Then again, with things changing as quickly as they do in electronics, there are only a handful of things that one can do to attempt to be future-proofed, such as going with 4k/BD releases for those who don‘t yet have 4k.

if there’s no way to fit a standard size unit, go with the smaller and run HDR.

Reactions: john a hunter

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member

If your display does not support Dolby Vision, then the lack of DV support on the player isn't a big deal. If your display does support DV, though, then it's a big deal, IMO.

Reed Grele

Patron
Real Name
Reed Grele
The lack of DV is a big deal. All have HDR10, but you’re NOT future-proofed without DV.

Then again, with things changing as quickly as they do in electronics, there are only a handful of things that one can do to attempt to be future-proofed, such as going with 4k/BD releases for those who don‘t yet have 4k.

if there’s no way to fit a standard size unit, go with the smaller and run HDR.
Is not having DV on my Sony 885ES projector a big issue? Spartacus and LOA really look fantastic on both my 65" LG OLED (with DV) and the Sony 885ES blown up to 120" (with just HDR) . The projector does have a great looking picture and that seems to be enough (for me anyway) to enhance the viewing experience. In any case, to recreate the big screen theatrical experience at home, the only way to achieve that currently is with projection.

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
If your display does not support Dolby Vision, then the lack of DV support on the player isn't a big deal. If your display does support DV, though, then it's a big deal, IMO.
Thanks for that reminder. I have an LG B8 OLED that does have DV, its good to know the TV is not a limitation to upgrading to UHD.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
A question to those have have the 4K uhd disk. Is the audio the same as the last blu ray or has it been completely remastered for the uhd?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Is not having DV on my Sony 885ES projector a big issue? Spartacus and LOA really look fantastic on both my 65" LG OLED (with DV) and the Sony 885ES blown up to 120" (with just HDR) . The projector does have a great looking picture and that seems to be enough (for me anyway) to enhance the viewing experience. In any case, to recreate the big screen theatrical experience at home, the only way to achieve that currently is with projection.
I doubt DV will ever come to home projection.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unaware of projectors supporting DV.

Reed Grele

Patron
Real Name
Reed Grele
Understood.

When you watch DV encoded 4K UHD films on your projector, do you notice that anything is missing?

Is HDR enough to replicate, with some modicum of success, the added boosts in picture quality on a properly calibrated projector?

I know that digital projection will never have perfect blacks. In my experience, even the best theaters that have digital projection, blacks are always a dark gray. Other than the larger screen, I'm not seeing anything better than what I can reproduce at home. And of course, except for size, my OLED blows everything else away!

If there is ever an affordable OLED (or a future perfect black display technology) screen size of 120" or larger, I'll be a happy camper. But I'll probably still need projection for my 3D collection, unless by some miracle, it makes a comeback.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I thought a recent JVC model had a form of automatic tone mapping and would guess that it will become standard reasonably quickly.
Add a laser light source and DV or better becomes a distinct possibility.
I think we PJ users are in for an interesting time.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I thought a recent JVC model had a form of automatic tone mapping and would guess that it will become standard reasonably quickly.
Add a laser light source and DV or better becomes a distinct possibility.
I think we PJ users are in for an interesting time.
I believe the higher end JVC is designed (a joint effort) to best synchronize with the top Panasonic player.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bad news...

Tom was solely responsible for moving the preservation and restoration of Spartacus forward at Universal.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketoburni