What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FORGIVE ME IN ADVANCE- watching the film for the first time- is there SUPPOSED to be (what looks to be) an accidental editing skip at 10min13sec.....? Video right below.

That’s the way the film was released in 1960. I asked Bob Lawrence about it, and apparently there was negative damage/ processing problem on day one. This was the best take, and the easiest fix at the time.

Speaking of Mr. Lawrence, a superb editor, and a dear man, don’t miss his “double slap.” It’s worth viewing frame by frame. And something that most people never see. They feel the impact.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
That’s the way the film was released in 1960. I asked Bob Lawrence about it, and apparently there was negative damage/ processing problem on day one. This was the best take, and the easiest fix at the time.

Speaking of Mr. Lawrence, a superb editor, and a dear man, don’t miss his “double slap.” It’s worth viewing frame by frame. And something that most people never see. They feel the impact.

I'm suppose it comes up with every video iteration. My turn to be 'the guy'.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

What is the “double slap”? An extra on the disc?

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Do the opening titles have a better black level?

Mr. Harris says (and I agree) that the contrast has been improved, but I've never seen a completely black background during the main titles. It's more of a charcoal gray effect as the backgrounds behind the various statues are of dimly lit walls or tablets engraved with Roman text and numerals. And I haven't noticed any black crush or banding during the main title sequence.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
It seemed to me that the black level was quite deep in some of the titles when I saw It in 70mm. But maybe my memory serves me wrong.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
When I saw the bluray of 2001 I had thought that the black levels were not deep enough,but when the 4K came out they looked quite good. Either way I am sure I will be pleased with this new SPARTACUS.

Last edited:

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I've owned the Criterion DVD, the restored Blu, and the 4k is by far the best I've ever seen Spartacus.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing this on film, as of yet.

Reactions: PMF

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Somehow I managed to miss that this was released last week. I've since remedied and placed my order at BB. Pickup for tomorrow (assuming they find the one Steelbook copy their system claims is at my local store...)

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes also went to see Harris's phenomenal restoration of this film at the Ziegfeld towards the end of its run there. Never having seen the film before it was tremendous. Then followed it to the west side to the Worldwide cinemas where I also saw Eyes Wide Shut twice. The negative reaction to that film was nuts.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Spartacus is a film near and dear to my heart. I know it well, having first seen it theatrically, in 70mm, in 1960.

When it was re-issued in 1967 it had been shorn (much like Lawrence) of much of the material that held the film together, inclusive of the original ending.

Photographed in 35/8 Technirama, by Russell Metty, who won the Academy Award, it received a digital restoration several years ago by the team at Universal, but was only seen in HD by the home theater audience.

That has now been remedied by the studio's new 4k release, and the results of all the digital work are permitted shine.

An exquisite 4k, perfectly stable, with gorgeous color, wonderful high (and low) lights, great shadow detail, and perfectly a reproduced grain structure.

Audio is now offered in DTS-X, and it fills the room, as it should.

I'm a happy camper.

Well, almost.

I had a tiny problem making an initial incision into the outer wrapping protecting the Best Buy steel case, but it did protect the case from bumps and scratches nicely.

I'm sure the packaging would please Mr. Kubrick no end.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-X)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
How is the improvement in detail?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks