What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Narrow Margin (1990) – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A re-make of the excellent 1952 RKO production with Charles ("You don't like me, do you Spartacus?") McGraw and Marie Windsor, this Peter Hyams directed production for Carolco is a terrifically bad film, but one that I've always enjoyed. For what it is.

My go-to film critic, Roger Ebert, probably said it best:

""Narrow Margin" is a clumsy version of the Idiot Plot, dressed up as a high-gloss chase thriller. The Idiot Plot, of course, is any plot that would be resolved in five minutes if everyone in the story were not an idiot. And rarely has there been a film in which more idiots make more mistakes than in this one.

The story involves Anne Archer as a woman who goes out on a blind date and accidentally witnesses the man's murder by a mob killer, while the killer's boss - a crime kingpin - looks on. Archer is terrified that she will be the next victim and immediately escapes to her secluded cabin in the Rockies, telling nobody - except, of course, for her roommate, who tells the police, who follow her there in a helicopter, and who are followed by another helicopter they fail to notice.

Eventually the chase leads to a train station, and wouldn't you know that a train is just pulling in. It sits at this whistle-stop in the middle of the woods long enough for Hackman and Archer to buy tickets and talk an old couple out of their private compartment on the grounds that Archer is about to go into labor. Nobody asks (a) why a woman about to give birth would take a train ride instead of going to the hospital, or, more pointedly, (b) why she doesn't look remotely pregnant (to fool the oldsters, she sticks her hands in the pockets of her sweater)."

To read Mr. Ebert's complete essay, go here: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/narrow-margin-1990

But I'm an a neat target for any film with Gene Hackman.

Finally, making its way to Blu-ray, it arrives looking generally terrific. The film was shot by Mr. Hyams, and there are (purposefully?) numerous shots that are extremely soft. Color, black levels, grain structure, are all nicely in place, and give us a quality release.

Audio is presumably derived from the 70mm mix. Yes, there were blow-ups.

Image – 4.5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - yes

Recommended

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw the film in the theater and had a good time plus it has Gene Hackman as RAH said in his review. Never bought the dvd so this will be a easy buy.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
...this Peter Hyams directed production for Carolco is a terrifically bad film...
A friend of mine is fond of saying Hyams was the master of the 2 1/2 star film. We're both fans and I've had the opportunity to see Hyams at some screenings of his movies. We don't have directors like him anymore.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
A friend of mine is fond of saying Hyams was the master of the 2 1/2 star film. We're both fans and I've had the opportunity to see Hyams at some screenings of his movies. We don't have directors like him anymore.
Pretty much, though I'd give Capricorn One, 2010, Running Scared and maybe Outland 3 stars.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I really need to check this forum more often.

Holy cow. It was just two years ago that I posted this thread:

I'd just discovered the film, NARROW MARGIN, went through a time figuring out that it was only available on DVD and that even that was out of print. And after finally locating the DVD, I wondered if and when it might ever get a Blu-ray treatment.

Well here we are. I spotted this thread while looking for another thread by Mr. Harris, and now I'm going to await the Blu coming from Amazon.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Can't agree with the narrowly construed view that Narrow Margin is somehow an idiot's version of The Narrow Margin. Love Hackman, and I though Archer was fine. It's an entertaining thriller, shot moodily with a tone of foreboding almost from the first to last shot. Enjoyable popcorn muncher to say the least. And it had some nice updated twists from the original, which, of course, I still prefer. But honestly, Narrow Margin had a lot going for it, including its uneasy score and magnificent cinematography. So, no complaints here.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My opinion of reviews and reviewers is that everyone has a right to their opinion. Reviewers generally get paid for giving us their opinions, but they're still human, and differences of opinions will always be a factor.

I liked this movie a lot. Roger Ebert and I often disagreed, but I always respected his opinions. Thanks for giving us a piece of his writing about NARROW MARGIN.

A number of people compare the film to its earlier incarnation from the 50s. Well, I've never seen that one, so all I have to go on is my opinion of THIS movie. I'm thrilled with the fact that it's out on Blu, and looking forward to its arrival. Amazon says Friday. Could be a good weekend movie!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'll buy it. It's always been a favorite popcorn muncher. I especially like the ending when Mr. Hackman...
Makes the tie loosening gesture in court. Nice touch.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recall reviewing this for my college newspaper. Don't recall the details, but I think I enjoyed it at the time. I don't think I've seen it since watching it in the theater.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven’t see this one but I’ve enjoyed every single Peter Hyams movie that I have watched, so I probably should.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I got around to watching NARROW MARGIN over this past week and enjoyed it a lot. To keep things quiet, I opted to use headphones and it sounded just wonderful. Nice deep bass on both the 5.1 and stereo surround tracks.

I need to spend a little time with the extras.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I certainly won't debate the merits of the film other than to say that I have always enjoyed it, but the disc has a lovely, lovely transfer of the excellent cinematography by Peter Hyams. Regardless of his merits as a director (and I do think that he is very underrated,) he is a truly great cinematographer. I was delighted when I watched his son's first Universal Soldier film Regeneration and saw that Peter was the camerman. His son's second Universal soldier movie Day of Reckoning had a far more interesting story, but the camerawork in the first one was much better. So in the case of Narrow Margin, it was lovely to see his work given a good transfer.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
My opinion of reviews and reviewers is that everyone has a right to their opinion. Reviewers generally get paid for giving us their opinions, but they're still human, and differences of opinions will always be a factor.

I liked this movie a lot. Roger Ebert and I often disagreed, but I always respected his opinions. Thanks for giving us a piece of his writing about NARROW MARGIN.

A number of people compare the film to its earlier incarnation from the 50s. Well, I've never seen that one, so all I have to go on is my opinion of THIS movie. I'm thrilled with the fact that it's out on Blu, and looking forward to its arrival. Amazon says Friday. Could be a good weekend movie!

Reviewers are offering their opinion, yes, but it is an informed opinion - particularly Roger Ebert.

Everyone is entitled to like a film or not, nowadays there is film opinion everywhere. Every film site has multiple reviewers, forums have millions of opinions. But, there are recognized, credible film reviewers that are very well informed. These men and women shouldn't be dismissed because it is just their opinion. For example, Ebert's opinion is many times more valuable an opnion than mine.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Roger Ebert was indeed a well-respected film critic, and in the case of NARROW MARGIN, his points about the plot holes and illogic are well founded. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying a film. I am able to suspend disbelief and go along for the ride in many cases. And it allows me to enjoy things that others dismiss.

I like train movies, and this one suits me just fine.

I also like Roger Ebert and enjoyed his reviews over the years along with his early partner Gene Siskel. They disagreed often. Why can't I?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
99% of the time I agreed with Roger Ebert's reviews. Narrow Margin falls in the 1%. I haven't seen it in years, but that will change today. My copy is out for delivery from Amazon.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched 'Narrow Margin' this afternoon (Amazon delivered it too late in the day yesterday). The transfer looks terrific. I don't think it looked this good when I saw it in the theater. :) It's too bad the extras weren't remastered too, but watching how they shot the trains scenes was still quite enjoyable. Christmas tree merry-go-round, indeed. :)

Mark

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't think it looked this good when I saw it in the theater. :)

Mark

I remember enjoying the movie when I saw it in the theatre in 1990, but nothing about the quality of the print. But I have no doubt this is a vast improvement. Even with the imperfect black levels of home projection with my JVC, the Blu-ray still had better contrast & deeper blacks than pretty much any theatrical print from that era, especially given how sloppy that that the chains were at that time. (I saw it at a UA theatre in Roseville, and while the manager there was a decent guy and responsive to complaints, their projection still tended to be mediocre at best.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks