What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Maniac – in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Someone at Blue Underground must have connections with the filmmakers, as original elements have been accessed.

The new 4k, in typical Blue Underground fashion, is a gorgeous affair. In this case derived from the original 16mm camera negatives, presented in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

A class act, all around.

From a tech perspective, viewers know going in that they'll see film grain, in this case, it's organic and perfect.

As directed by William Lustig, and starring Joe Spinell, Maniac made a number of critics cranky, if not horrified, when released theatrically in 1980, but in the intervening decades has become a fan favorite.

Caroline Munro and effects maven, Tom Savini round out the main cast.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - A huge yes

Recommended

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Someone at Blue Underground must have connections with the filmmakers, as original elements have been accessed.

The new 4k, in typical Blue Underground fashion, is a gorgeous affair. In this case derived from the original 16mm camera negatives, presented in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

A class act, all around.

From a tech perspective, viewers know going in that they'll see film grain, in this case, it's organic and perfect.

As directed by William Lustig, and starring Joe Spinell, Maniac made a number of critics cranky, if not horrified, when released theatrically in 1980, but in the intervening decades has become a fan favorite.

Caroline Munro and effects maven, Tom Savini round out the main cast.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - A huge yes

Recommended
RAH, I really like this line that you wrote in your review: "Maniac made a number of critics cranky, if not horrified, when released theatrically in 1980". That was so appreciated by me, because its degree of understatement inspired some laughter here, as it revived a memory of one critic saying in 1980, that if he somehow regained consciousness, to find himself stranded on that proverbial desert island, only to discover that a VHS copy of Maniac, playing on a battery powered TV, would be his sole reminder of civilization & cinema history, then he'd immediately subject that VHS tape to the same sort of fatal treatment that ended the life of one of the serial killer's victims in the film!

So RAH, you have my sincere thanks, for words which you wrote here, about 2 and a half years ago, that just gave me a much needed hearty laugh, before getting some badly needed sleep at 4 in the morning, here in northern Ohio. Happy New Year, and be safe!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I don't plan on buying this, but as a general point is it really worth releasing 16mm films on 4k given the lack of resolution of the small negative and extra cost of production over blu ray?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I don't plan on buying this, but as a general point is it really worth releasing 16mm films on 4k given the lack of resolution of the small negative and extra cost of production over blu ray?
The boutique cult labels seem to be thriving in the 4K UHD market, so obviously it's worth it to them. The other thing to note is that the UHD format is not just about pixels- it's also the expanded color gamut and HDR. Even "SDR" UHDs are 10-bit vs. 8-bit for Blu-ray, so the color/gradients on those also benefit even though they're encoded in the same overall color space as Blu-rays. Beyond that, let's also remember that most "modern" UHD titles are actually based on 2K DIs.

I have a few 16mm based UHDs in my collection. The most recent is the German remaster of Tobe Hooper's brilliant THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE with Dolby Vision, and it's a definitely improvement over what that title has looked like on 1080P Blu-ray. It's ultimately up to you to decide if the improvement is worth it, but it is there, and these small labels certainly seem to be doing well with the format.

Vincent

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The boutique cult labels seem to be thriving in the 4K UHD market, so obviously it's worth it to them. The other thing to note is that the UHD format is not just about pixels- it's also the expanded color gamut and HDR. Even "SDR" UHDs are 10-bit vs. 8-bit for Blu-ray, so the color/gradients on those also benefit even though they're encoded in the same overall color space as Blu-rays. Beyond that, let's also remember that most "modern" UHD titles are actually based on 2K DIs.

I have a few 16mm based UHDs in my collection. The most recent is the German remaster of Tobe Hooper's brilliant THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE with Dolby Vision, and it's a definitely improvement over what that title has looked like on 1080P Blu-ray. It's ultimately up to you to decide if the improvement is worth it, but it is there, and these small labels certainly seem to be doing well with the format.

Vincent
I just watched the Vinegar Syndrome UHD for The Invisible Maniac, which was also shot on 16mm, and between the expanded color gamut and the grain management, I think that it justifies the UHD over plain Blu-ray, if only by a hair.

Now, whether or not the movie itself actually merited such treatment, I leave to everyone's own personal judgement!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Vincent
Please keep in mind that any 2k vs 4k comparisons MUST be made from the same master element.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks